Black blade PE frn Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmbspyder

Black blade PE frn Native?

Post by pmbspyder »

Haven't been on the board in a while, but I was holding one of my first (and possibly favorite) spydies tonight wondering why Sal and co never offered it in a black bladed plain edge variant.

For years I have wanted one and wondered why it was never put into production. I can't imagine the demand for the ce is higher than it would be for the PE variant. I remember seeing a pic of one hanging on the wall in Golden, but obviously that was for display purposes.

Any of you (or spydercrew) who've been around a while know the reasoning for this or know where to find an answer? Thanks!

Oh, and nice to be back :D
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

They used to offer one. As I understood, it was discontinued because the folks that wanted the black bladed Native got it in SE more often. I used to have an FRN Native PE with a black blade.

Here is an example. It is NOT mine.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Say whaaaaa!? It used to be available commercially? Ugh, another spydie bites the dust I guess. Maybe Sal and co will bring it back one of these days. The native in all black pe is just so darn good looking!

I wonder how hard it would be to just run some of the pe blades through dlc in the production assembly. Minimal work I would imagine to start producing that variant...
rycen

Post by rycen »

As you can see they did offer that variant. If I recall it was a small run 400-600.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

rycen wrote:As you can see they did offer that variant. If I recall it was a small run 400-600.
So it was never a standard production model? Maybe there is hope after all.
rycen

Post by rycen »

It was regular production as far as I remember. Just a small amount were made.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I too can confirm. This was my first Spydie ever.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Bah. I'm jealous. I'd love for these to be ubiquitous enough that it wouldn't be a sin to use one.

Maybe one day these will be run again...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

pmbspyder wrote:Bah. I'm jealous. I'd love for these to be ubiquitous enough that it wouldn't be a sin to use one.

Maybe one day these will be run again...
I snagged mine in 2006 or 2007 I think and they were hard to find then apparently. Mine was an eBay score from a dealer. I can't remember whom anymore.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*