Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Post by Mr Blonde »

Due to some incidents following the pictures I posted in previous years, I conferred with the Spydercrew and I would like to start this thread by specifically explaining my terms of use for these pictures.

Non-commercial use
To me, this meet and the opportunity to take and post these photos is intended first and foremost for the knifeknuts. If you would like to use, repost, edit etc… any of my pictures for non-commercial use, then you are more than welcome. I would request that you maintain (or add it - in case of editing) the fact that the knives pictured are either concept models, production prototypes or production samples, which I will indicate in each original photo. That way, it becomes clear for other viewers what the status of each design is. In addition, I would appreciate a link to my website http://www.spydercollector.com as the source for the original image. Again, I would like to encourage you to use these images creatively on your blog, facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, forum posts etc…., if that is something you’d like to do, as long as it´s for non-commercial use.

Commercial use
If you would like to use my images for commercial purposes, e.g. to advance the sale in your web shop, contact me at mrblonde[AT]spydercollector[DOT]com first, to discuss terms of use. Using my images or any part of them in any altered form for commercial use is not allowed without my express written permission. If a discussion should arise whether a particular form of use is considered commercial or not, I will make the final determination to assert my copyright.

Now, on with the show!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The anticipation is killing me.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Yay! Bring on the reports! :D
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Sam Owens ARK

Post by Mr Blonde »

The first knife that was shown and passed around all attendees, was the Sam Owens designed ARK prototype neck knife. The design apparently came about through forum discussions and ideas. The knife was meant to be carried everywhere and always. This particular design was intended to be a self defense tool for the military to help protect against rape attacks in the showers, from other servicemen. The ARK will feature H1 steel and an injection molded sheath.

To me, the knife was a really nice small and lightweight neck knife. I’m sure it will be a breeze to carry all the time. The extreme curve of the blade should prove useful for many other tasks than just self defense. I would probably add a little lanyard to improve the grip.

Ted was a great help during the meet, and when I asked his help to get me a blade length measurement, he collected way more than that!

The measurements of the ARK prototype are approximately as follows:
Overall Length: 12,6 cm / 4.96 inches
Edge Length: 5,5 cm / 2.16 inches
Blade Length: 6,7 cm / 2.63
Blade Thickness: 0,2 cm / 0.07 inches

Sal and Eric provided a lot of information and background stories for each design. Any mistakes in these descriptions are mine alone. If you attended the meet and picked up some other information on this and the other prototypes in this thread, please add that information to this thread.

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thank you for the report. Always enjoy this event.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Blonde!

And Thanx Much for your awesome report & pics.
:) The ARK certainly looks like an amazing EDC little fixed blade in my book. :spyder:
Stay Sharp!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thank you Mr.Blonde for taking time to post!! The ARK is KOOOOLLLL!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Here...we....go.... :D
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Invective

Post by Invective »

Thank you Mr. Blonde for these pictures and write-ups! These posts are some of my most anticipated of every year!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks guys. It's zero dark hundred over here, I'll post more tomorrow. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Fantastic! I've been waiting for this thread all week. :D Thank you greatly for being our eyes and ears, Wouter. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Just some clarity on the ARK: It was designed by both John Shirley and Sam Owens, who are friends of mine and both are also moderators on THR. Sam is the blade smith, and John was the driving force behind the knife design. John is the US Army Reserve officer who was trying to protect his troops. John sent all the design ideas for Sam to build. Sam's comments on building the ARK prototypes have reflected both pride and service in being able to equip troops with such a serious tool. ARK is an acronym for Active Resistance Knife. John is a huge Spyderco fan, and is the person who really got me into Spyderco knives. As Mr. Blonde has noted the ARK is intended to be worn literally 24x7, and the size and weight were kept to minium so it can be worn on the troop's dog tag chain. With the intention of the ARK being worn all the time, in the showers, and sweated on while on duty, John and Sam are both very happy that their knife is going to be made in an H1 steel mass produced version.

John also loaned me a prototype for evaluation last year, and it's an awesome little knife. I can't tell you how excited I am that this is the first knife you showed off Mr. Blonde, and I'm so glad to finally see pictures of the Spyderco production version.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, starting off with a bang there Mr. Blonde and thank you for the interesting background on this knife ugaarguy! Already 100% on the must-have rate, excited to see what's to come. ;) Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

As always, Thanks Wouter! Love these threads.

That ARK is great. I will have to grab one of those bad boys no matter what.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Love this annual thread - thank you! :spyder:
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd rock an ARK round my neck.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd rock an ARK round my neck. Does the name stand for anything?
Yes, Active Resistance Knife
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Anti Rape Knife...is what someone else called it elsewhere..sad really...
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd hope it gets some aggressive jumping for thumb and choil.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wouldn't be surprised if the prod. model had a more open-type sheath to cut down further on weight & help drain water. Great photo skills Mr. Blonde as usual...but only one pic...YOU'RE KILLIN ME HERE!!!

But seriously, thanks and rest well!!!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate