Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Spydersense wrote:Nice. Great guns. If you don't know about it already, I suggest an Apex trigger kit. Makes the trigger much nicer IMO.
If I remember correctly the Shields trigger is improved over the 9c and 40c. Then again I never tried the apex kit so I can't compare it. I considered purchasing the kits for both my 9c and 40c but never ended up doing it. I never felt that the triggers were THAT bad but heard so many good things about it and always wanted to try it out.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Ammunition is going out of sight. Just saw a box of 40 S&W Silvertips at the local WM priced at $48.37. I like my 9mm's more every day
Time to start taking up handloading. The savings over time are huge!
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have a Glock 23C, as posted above, and, unfortunately, I'm starting to feel the same way. I sometimes wish I'd have gotten a nine.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Nice AR but I'm not familiar with the Sionics brand. Will have to do some research on it. I had two Bushmasters but sold one to a friend and wish I had'nt. I think Remington bought out Bushmaster and then they reopened as Windham Arms or something. I just would like to know how many different brands of AR15/M16's are out there.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

cabfrank wrote:I have a Glock 23C, as posted above, and, unfortunately, I'm starting to feel the same way. I sometimes wish I'd have gotten a nine.
You can get a conversion barrel from Lone Wolf industries, but you also need a 9mm ejector block(not expensive)! Then you can have a 2-caliber Glock! Also you need Glock 9mm magazines! You will be very happy with the results! Cheaper than Dirt has Lone Wolf Conversion barrels! :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The only reason I would buy a 40 cal would be to convert it to 357 Sig and I think you can do that just by dropping in a barrel
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

"I just would like to know how many different brands of AR15/M16's are out there."

There are officially, too many to count, as far as I can tell at this point. Sionics is a small outfit catering to the LE, Border patrol, civilian market, etc. They do some nice work, not the cheapest, but use good part sourcing for their builds and stand behind their work. Mine uses a 1:8 chrome lined barrel, Vltor EMOD butt stock, A5 buffer setup, Magpul grip, Sampson front rail & Nickel PTFE coated bolt. Assembly pins are tight, not sloppy like the last one I had, just better quality of parts, fit & finish all the way around. Here's a link to their page for what I got. http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/p ... product=82

About ammo prices, I buy in bulk when there's a deal online. Prices have finally stabilized and dropped some, but there's still a high demand on some types which has prices artificially high. Still looking to buy some good 22 for a fair price, but it's hard to find the accurate stuff in bulk. The suppliers have choked the supply to keep prices high and are dribbling out a few boxes at a time with 22. If people would just stop buying for two weeks, at all levels, prices would start to fall and the supply would come back. As it is, there are still too many people doing the panic "buy-at-any-price" routine which limits supply and drives up prices.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

noseoil wrote:"I just would like to know how many different brands of AR15/M16's are out there."

There are officially, too many to count, as far as I can tell at this point. Sionics is a small outfit catering to the LE, Border patrol, civilian market, etc. They do some nice work, not the cheapest, but use good part sourcing for their builds and stand behind their work. Mine uses a 1:8 chrome lined barrel, Vltor EMOD butt stock, A5 buffer setup, Magpul grip, Sampson front rail & Nickel PTFE coated bolt. Assembly pins are tight, not sloppy like the last one I had, just better quality of parts, fit & finish all the way around. Here's a link to their page for what I got. http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/p ... product=82

About ammo prices, I buy in bulk when there's a deal online. Prices have finally stabilized and dropped some, but there's still a high demand on some types which has prices artificially high. Still looking to buy some good 22 for a fair price, but it's hard to find the accurate stuff in bulk. The suppliers have choked the supply to keep prices high and are dribbling out a few boxes at a time with 22. If people would just stop buying for two weeks, at all levels, prices would start to fall and the supply would come back. As it is, there are still too many people doing the panic "buy-at-any-price" routine which limits supply and drives up prices.
Agreed on the ammo
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah you would never have thought that .22's would the most in demand of all ammo. I haven't seen a box here in weeks.
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

That Benelli Ethos is absolutely beautiful. I personally love the Remington 1100's however. I shoot my grandfathers for competition!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I love the Remington's as well and that would absolutely be my first choice in an auto. The hardest kicking shotgun I ever owned in my entire life was a Benelli M1 Super 90 in 20 guage of all things and I'm sure they have have improved since but that pretty much turned me against them and anything else that says inertia operated.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Carrying a Kahr P9 Covert at the moment in a very tasty piece of High Noon leather.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Rwb1500 wrote:Image

Carrying a Kahr P9 Covert at the moment in a very tasty piece of High Noon leather.
That is a very tasty bit of leather. I am planning another Kahr purchase soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Any opinion and / or experience with the Ruger 762? I have always wanted an AR-10 platform, but never really narrowed down my choices. I have shot Bushmaster, RRA and S&W AR platforms in the past. I am partial to the feel of the RRA, but am not sure about their 7.62x51 platforms. All (constructive and related) input is appreciated.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Question to you revolver guys, Is S&W J frame .357 cylinder the same size and the .38 cylinder?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
remnar

Post by remnar »

xceptnl wrote:Any opinion and / or experience with the Ruger 762? I have always wanted an AR-10 platform, but never really narrowed down my choices. I have shot Bushmaster, RRA and S&W AR platforms in the past. I am partial to the feel of the RRA, but am not sure about their 7.62x51 platforms. All (constructive and related) input is appreciated.
I don't know about the RRA LAR-8 or any other AR-10s, but I love my RRA AR-15 CAR A4. I would love to have another RRA in a larger caliber, but I'm sure there are a lot of other fine manufactures that would also be great.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Not sure why caliber would make a difference, if they make good guns they make good guns? NEA have 308 and 300ACC/blackout uppers, not sure about 762, although you'd have a much better selection where you are.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

xceptnl wrote:Any opinion and / or experience with the Ruger 762? I have always wanted an AR-10 platform, but never really narrowed down my choices. I have shot Bushmaster, RRA and S&W AR platforms in the past. I am partial to the feel of the RRA, but am not sure about their 7.62x51 platforms. All (constructive and related) input is appreciated.
How hard (or soft) do you want to hit your wallet?

The LWRC R.E.P.R. is an incredibly piece of metal, and the Knight's Armament SR 25 is one of the original and arguably best 7.62 rifles out there, but you'll pay handsomely for either, much more so for the SR25.

I really like the Ruger piston guns, most of my experience is with the 556 though. You really couldn't go wrong with the Smith or the Rock River either though. Are you set on direct impingement or are you looking for a piston driven gun?

If a piston is what you seek the LWRC is friggin awesome, but the Ruger is a bit more cost effective.

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Gunslinger wrote:Question to you revolver guys, Is S&W J frame .357 cylinder the same size and the .38 cylinder?
If I understand the question you're asking if a strictly .38 special cylinder is the same dimensions as a .357 cylinder for a j frame?

First it depends. ;)
At one time the were different, couldn't tell you specific years though. Now they have the same external dimensions ie they are all "magnum" sized but the .38s are headspaced shorter since the cases are shorter. This way you can't get a .357 properly into a .38 cylinder even though the cylinder itself is technically long enough enough.

So let's say you had a recent manufacture Model 60 and you had a recent manufacture cylinder in both .357 & .38. You should be able to switch those cylinders as long as the gun didn't start life being intended to shoot .38 only.

I'm not a gunsmith and you should never do anything like that because some guy on the internet said so.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Rwb1500 wrote:If I understand the question you're asking if a strictly .38 special cylinder is the same dimensions as a .357 cylinder for a j frame?

First it depends. ;)
At one time the were different, couldn't tell you specific years though. Now they have the same external dimensions ie they are all "magnum" sized but the .38s are headspaced shorter since the cases are shorter. This way you can't get a .357 properly into a .38 cylinder even though the cylinder itself is technically long enough enough.

So let's say you had a recent manufacture Model 60 and you had a recent manufacture cylinder in both .357 & .38. You should be able to switch those cylinders as long as the gun didn't start life being intended to shoot .38 only.

I'm not a gunsmith and you should never do anything like that because some guy on the internet said so.
Thank you, You answered my question. I was just curious about the outer dimensions of the cylinder (whether one was longer then the other). Trying to decide if I should get a .38 or .357. Since they are the same size I will most likely go with the .357.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]