LEFTIES -- Most Lefty-specific EDC choice in current catalog?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sully

LEFTIES -- Most Lefty-specific EDC choice in current catalog?

Post by Sully »

Ain't easy being LEFTY. :confused:

Catalog isn't overly kind to a lefty. My question is: which knife would be the best, most-LEFTY-functional, LEFTY-looking, ambidextrous EDC choice in the current catalog?

Too bad the Lefty Military is discontinued, but too big for my EDC needs, anyway. Linerlocks are all out, as they are righty-biased. Even compression locks on the Para2, though I read some lefties can deal.

The boltaction lock on the Sage3 is an option. As is the Manix2.

The Caly3/Delicas/Enduras/Chaparral/etc all have a backlock, so definitely viable. (My old G-10 Delica had the rounded heads of the screws on the right side, making it look designed for a RIGHTY.)

However, I have noticed the Native 5 in G-10 has the same torx screw opening on BOTH sides. I think it's the only knife that's a mirror image on either side.

Of course the Spyderco Logo is RIGHTY-biased.

Am i missing something, other than the Lefty Military? That was the last Lefty-specific I know of. Anyone know if there could/would be a LEFTY sprint run of some sort?

So, Native 5 G-10 (Can't afford the Titanium).....my best choice?

Thanks, Lefties...and EMPATHETIC RIGHTIES. :D
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Karahawk is a good choice. Its purely ambidextrous. But it requires training and it isn't necessarily a utility knife.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

You hit the nail on the head with the manix2. It really is a totally ambi knife in a reasonable size.
Mike
Sully

Post by Sully »

mikeh99 wrote:You hit the nail on the head with the manix2. It really is a totally ambi knife in a reasonable size.
Manix 2 is truly LEFTY-friendly. My #2 choice as of now. Size may be a bit big for my everyday. Axis-type lock reminds me of another company, too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of Spyderco's current offerings, the Stretch is my favorite model and, IMHO, is both totally lefty-friendly and totally ambidextrous. My other favorites, now discontinued, are the Kiwi 1 & 2, and the Jester.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Almost all their lockbacks would fit your needs. The chaparral is a great choice!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sully

Post by Sully »

Holland wrote:Almost all their lockbacks would fit your needs. The chaparral is a great choice!
Some lockbacks have the good-looking side of the screws on the right side. The business end on the left. The Caly3s pivot screw is RIGHTY-biased. Would reversing that screw be possible, without messing anything up obviously?

The chaparral is a great choice. Honestly, I'd prefer USA/Earth....over Taiwan. And the Native 5 improved PB-lockback sounds enticing. Personal preference, 'course.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I am lefty and have no problem with liner locks or RILs (though I don't prefer them) or compression locks (I prefer them).

For liner locks and RILs, left-handed opening poses no problem for me (except for the Southard Folder and Techno which hide much of the Spyderhole from left-handers). To close with the knife in my left hand, I merely flip my Sage1 (liner lock) or Air (liner lock) or Bradley Folder (liner lock, or maybe RIL?) or Techno (RIL) or Sage2 (RIL) so its back rests on my finger inside my left hand, then push the locking tab leftward and, at the same time, put my index finger in the Spyderhold and pull the blade toward me. When about half closed, I rotate the knife so I can get some of my left hand's fingers on the spine to send the blade home.

For compression locks, left-handed opening poses no problem for me. To close with the knife in my left hand, I put my left thumb on the spine and my left index finger into the outer side of the Spyderhole, then push leftward with my thumb and downward with my index finger until I can rotate the knife and send the blade home.

Without exaggeration, I do not feel disadvantaged by liner locks, RILs, or compression locks. In fact, I secretly think Spydies were designed for lefties...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sully

Post by Sully »

wrdwrght wrote:I am lefty and have no problem with liner locks or RILs (though I don't prefer them) or compression locks (I prefer them).

For liner locks and RILs, left-handed opening poses no problem for me (except for the Southard Folder and Techno which hide much of the Spyderhole from left-handers). To close with the knife in my left hand, I merely flip my Sage1 (liner lock) or Air (liner lock) or Bradley Folder (liner lock, or maybe RIL?) or Techno (RIL) or Sage2 (RIL) so its back rests on my finger inside my left hand, then push the locking tab leftward and, at the same time, put my index finger in the Spyderhold and pull the blade toward me. When about half closed, I rotate the knife so I can get some of my left hand's fingers on the spine to send the blade home.

For compression locks, left-handed opening poses no problem for me. To close with the knife in my left hand, I put my left thumb on the spine and my left index finger into the outer side of the Spyderhole, then push leftward with my thumb and downward with my index finger until I can rotate the knife and send the blade home.

Without exaggeration, I do not feel disadvantaged by liner locks, RILs, or compression locks. In fact, I secretly think Spydies were designed for lefties...

Thanks for the expert advice. Thing is, oddly, I just don't want to compromise at all. For me, it's part of the hunt -- getting Lefty-awesome Spyderco.....at my restrained price point. Everything is made for righties, so I value all things lefty. The Spyderco Logo on the right side is where I realize I have to compromise. Though...I do appreciate when Sal or Eric's logo is on the left side. See, I'm anal about this. And The G-10 Native % is holding up to most of my "issues." Covet those greens scales of the Forum Native, though. Anyway, thanks to you and all who are kind enough to offer your help. Much appreciated. Awesome collection of Spydercos, by the way.

Sully
juggler

Post by juggler »

I think the compression lock on the Para-military is actually easier to close left-handedly : with your left thumb on the lock and the other fingers safely on the side of the handle, you just let gravity do the work. I don't find it as comfortable to use with the right hand (granted, the fact that I'm a lefty might also explain that).

The Bolt lock of the Sage 3 is of course completely ambidextrous... and very smooth (the Manix lock seems to be similar, but I've never used one).

And, as already mentioned, most lockbacks will fit you.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

All lockbacks, slipits, and caged locks are fully ambi. There are a few collaborations in the past that only clipped on one side (eg Phoenix) though.

The "most lefty" in past years would be the Left Handed Military as it was designed for you southpaws. I'm sure Paul has a number of "wrong handed" locks that are easy to actuate, like the Sage1/2.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

wrdwrght wrote:I am lefty and have no problem with liner locks or RILs (though I don't prefer them) or compression locks (I prefer them).
In addition to all the obvious candidates mentioned, I want to second especially the RIL version of the Military and the Sage 2. These RILs have very large cutouts for the lockbar and I find them exceptionally easy to open and close, one-handed, with my left hand. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sully wrote:Some lockbacks have the good-looking side of the screws on the right side. The business end on the left. The Caly3s pivot screw is RIGHTY-biased. Would reversing that screw be possible, without messing anything up obviously?

The chaparral is a great choice. Honestly, I'd prefer USA/Earth....over Taiwan. And the Native 5 improved PB-lockback sounds enticing. Personal preference, 'course.
It's something that's never bothered me, but the screws on the FRN, Nishijin GF, and older CF Stretch can be reversed if having the heads on the front side bothers you. Same goes for the FRN and G-10 versions of the Delica 4 and Endura 4. If you'd rather have something with screw heads on both sides, the Chaparrals, Sage 3, and Sage 4 have them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

The only lock I have "trouble" with closing left-handed are frame locks. I like the comp lock on the para-2, but while I can work them lefty, I typically just open/close mine right-handed.

Here is a quick pic of my ambi/lefty-Spyderco's:

They do make a few very nice ambidextrous fixed blades, lol.

Another observation, I typically have my phone in my left-front pocket, so I usually have my knife clipped to my right pocket. No need to move the clip :)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 is the best edc Spyderco makes period and is totally ambidextrious.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

With only 10% of the population being lefty, I'd say the number of ambidextrous models is pretty dang good. Knife AFI's are already a smaller percentage of the world, so you're taking another even smaller percentage of that small percentage, so it's hard to expect a company to cater specifically to such a small group. They may not make many lefty only models like the lefty Military, but I think they make a fair amount of ambidextrous lock designs. I also feel confident enough to unlock any of my righty favoring locks with my left hand, and I'm pretty stupid in my left hand so I think if I can do it, a lefty should be able to do it better than I can.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sully

Post by Sully »

Evil D wrote:With only 10% of the population being lefty, I'd say the number of ambidextrous models is pretty dang good. Knife AFI's are already a smaller percentage of the world, so you're taking another even smaller percentage of that small percentage, so it's hard to expect a company to cater specifically to such a small group. They may not make many lefty only models like the lefty Military, but I think they make a fair amount of ambidextrous lock designs. I also feel confident enough to unlock any of my righty favoring locks with my left hand, and I'm pretty stupid in my left hand so I think if I can do it, a lefty should be able to do it better than I can.
Evil D, you make valid points, as always. But...on the other hand (Yup, that one!) may I remind you that you definitely DON'T come across as someone who compromises on his knife selection, believes in getting a "close enough" precision tool, believes it's to be expected whenyour natural instincts are disregarded.... I don't think that's you at all. Don't want it to be me, either, so I want a Spyderco as LEFTY-oriented as I can find/afford/appreciate. That's all. Still, you make a strong argument, remind me not to get into a knife fight with ya. (Sal, PLEASE make a LEFTY Yojimbo 2, ASAP!!!!!!!!!) :)
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

With your ridged requirements the only answer I can come up with is the before mentioned left handed Military. Too big for you, I know.
Thank you Spyderco for producing that great knife.
Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sully wrote:Evil D, you make valid points, as always. But...on the other hand (Yup, that one!) may I remind you that you definitely DON'T come across as someone who compromises on his knife selection, believes in getting a "close enough" precision tool, believes it's to be expected whenyour natural instincts are disregarded.... I don't think that's you at all. Don't want it to be me, either, so I want a Spyderco as LEFTY-oriented as I can find/afford/appreciate. That's all. Still, you make a strong argument, remind me not to get into a knife fight with ya. (Sal, PLEASE make a LEFTY Yojimbo 2, ASAP!!!!!!!!!) :)
Don't get me wrong, I feel for you lefties, my mother is one and I grew up hearing about all the adapting she had to do with various things. I just think compared a lot of companies Spyderco does pretty good keeping it balanced. I know back locks are a little boring, but they are ambidextrous. Imagine if every back lock in the catalog was a right handed liner lock...then you'd really have a complaint I think. That said, if they could wave a magic wand and make every back lock knife a CBBL lock like the Manix 2, I personally would be overjoyed. In the future you may be in luck, as the lock being developed for the next gen Military is said to be ambidextrous, so I think that alone speaks volumes about Spyderco's attention to this issue (after all, Sal's wife is a lefty as well).

Ironically enough, I unlock my Southard with my index finger, not my thumb. When I'm unlocking it with my left hand I also use my index finger on that hand. I gave the knife to my mother to get a lefty perspective and she agreed that this was the easiest way for her to unlock it. Personally I find liner locks easier to unlock with my off hand than compression locks but I can still operate my Para 2 pretty well with my off hand.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Apophis wrote:The only lock I have "trouble" with closing left-handed are frame locks. I like the comp lock on the para-2, but while I can work them lefty, I typically just open/close mine right-handed.

Here is a quick pic of my ambi/lefty-Spyderco's:

They do make a few very nice ambidextrous fixed blades, lol.

Another observation, I typically have my phone in my left-front pocket, so I usually have my knife clipped to my right pocket. No need to move the clip :)
Completely off topic, but this is the first time I've seen a Southfork lined up with other knives...I was under the impression that it was a much larger knife. Huh.
~David