Sal, a question re: the Superblue FRN sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I think Cowry X would be a long shot in all honesty as it seems pretty rare/expensive but that hasn't really stopped Spyderco so far. X compares to ZDP but with slightly different composition. Shirogami 1 may not offer any advantages over SuperBlue (probably why Spyderco selected Superblue to begin with) but it is a VERY CLEAN, basic, very hard carbon steel. We should really look into this guys, everyone do research and see what we can come up with! :D
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
willc

Post by willc »

I really love my SB Delica and Endura and plan on getting the others as they are
released.
I think it would be a great idea to do sprints in 1095 or 1084.
Also if logistically possible do some carbon steel blades in the Byrd line.
These would be pretty popular I think.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

This is all through reading information on these potential options, but I think that SG2 would be really nice as well, or even VG1! A VG-1 sprint would be the be-all, end-all equal comparison between these two steels.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RealKnifeUser wrote:I'm interested in anything FRN. Seems like the PERFECT series of knives to test steels. Much more affordable than g10 and fancy locks, while being more than strong enough for extended heavy cutting, so I'm really hoping Sal keeps this going. Any new or harder to find steel would be totally awesome, and new colors are always nice.

-Ryan
Yes, I agree! Seems like the delica/endura would be a great platform to try out different steels in folders. Would probably be bad for my wallet though. M4 endura? Need one. Shirogami 1 delica? Need one. Non laminated superblue? I'll take one of each. :) You get the idea.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There is always SKH 51 or 52 which is the JIS standard name for M2/M3 HSS ( M3 is higher carbon M2 steel) Even ingot M2 makes great knives at rc 62-63 and can get higher hardness if needed. Not quite up to CPM M4 levels of performance though.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Chris_H wrote:Hmm... Japanese steel suggestions... What about HAP40 for the steel? It's composition looks like M4 but with Cobalt added. Come to think of it, why not HAP40 for a Mule Team too?
Sounds interesting. I'd also like to see what Hitachi XVC11 is like.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

To clarify what I meant by "A VG-1 sprint would be the be-all, end-all equal comparison between these two steels." I meant VG-1 vs VG-10.
- Miguel de Unamuno

Holland

Post by Holland »

I think I would buy a dfly is just about any steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am all for getting to see more diversity in Japanese steels fro Spyderco. If the makers there will only work with their steels, let's play by there rules. I love FRN models and assuming Sal is fine with the mold costs (maybe it would not require any retooling) I would love to see any platform in SKD-11. If you want to stick with what works, let's talk about the PE Lil Matriarch in Superblue as Blerv said. I'd be unable to resist anything in Superblue in all reality. Is a Caly Jr. even an option... how about a CATCHERMAN in Superblue?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

PLEASE do not forget to make a Super Blue Police.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Holland wrote:I think I would buy a dfly is just about any steel
You and me both. I couldn't wait for the Super Blue D'fly though, so I've got an SB Ladybug in the mail. I'm so excited for Super Blue I might get a Manbug and a D'fly. I might even pay EBay prices for a Delica too!
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

xceptnl wrote:I am all for getting to see more diversity in Japanese steels fro Spyderco. If the makers there will only work with their steels, let's play by there rules. I love FRN models and assuming Sal is fine with the mold costs (maybe it would not require any retooling) I would love to see any platform in SKD-11. If you want to stick with what works, let's talk about the PE Lil Matriarch in Superblue as Blerv said. I'd be unable to resist anything in Superblue in all reality. Is a Caly Jr. even an option... how about a CATCHERMAN in Superblue?
I agree 100% Holland. I just want more options in the japanese FRN series. Absolute best knife for any situation in any situation is the Endura. Pacific Salt SE after taxs
- Miguel de Unamuno

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The ZDP/VG10 Stretch is a great knife but a deep Navy Blue FRN/M4/S90V/S110V Stretch Sprint Run would be the bomb..

Not familiar with the Japanese steels other than whats currently being used but they are good steels.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The ZDP/VG10 Stretch is a great knife but a deep Navy Blue FRN/M4/S90V/S110V Stretch Sprint Run would be over the top..

Not familiar with the Japanese steels other than whats currently being used but they are good steels.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RealKnifeUser wrote:I agree 100% Holland. I just want more options in the japanese FRN series. Absolute best knife for any situation in any situation is the Endura. Pacific Salt SE after taxs
If I am being truthful as the OP, I really just wanted another sprint Endura but figured to use the whole SB FRN experiment as my thesis :rolleyes:
Holland

Post by Holland »

xceptnl wrote:I am all for getting to see more diversity in Japanese steels fro Spyderco. If the makers there will only work with their steels, let's play by there rules. I love FRN models and assuming Sal is fine with the mold costs (maybe it would not require any retooling) I would love to see any platform in SKD-11. If you want to stick with what works, let's talk about the PE Lil Matriarch in Superblue as Blerv said. I'd be unable to resist anything in Superblue in all reality. Is a Caly Jr. even an option... how about a CATCHERMAN in Superblue?
I would buy a SB catcherman is a heartbeat, and i would buy 2-3 caly jrs in SB
Rwb1500 wrote:You and me both. I couldn't wait for the Super Blue D'fly though, so I've got an SB Ladybug in the mail. I'm so excited for Super Blue I might get a Manbug and a D'fly. I might even pay EBay prices for a Delica too!
The delica is worth it! get it while you can
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Surfingringo wrote: :rolleyes: Sigh, I need a superblue endura now. You guys suck! :D
It might be hard to find a super blue Endura, but at least the super blue Delica looks like it is still available at KW. Just helping you spend more money :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I love my super blue delica, can't wait for the dfly release in super blue. Thx for providing such great steels in such great models :)
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I'd be interested in a stainless analogue to the Superblue line, i.e. something geared towards very acute apex angles and high edge stability. I wonder what would be the best alternatives available in Japane steels?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry my SB delica a lot and would enjoy a stainless SB delica.

As I have said already I would buy two if spyderco made a SB police3.

I enjoy keeping my sb delica very sharp. What other japaese steels are very fine grained and can take very fine edges? I shave with a double edge safety razor and use Feather brand blades which are supposed to be the very best. What steel are they made out of?

Would white #1 be way to close to super blue?

Give me a 4 inch blade with 2mm stock of super blue for a folding food prep knife and I would be thrilled.

We should put together a list of japaese steel options to chose from. I am not very familiar with many of them.