Favorite Brands other thank Spyderco?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lefty.Mike

Favorite Brands other thank Spyderco?

Post by Lefty.Mike »

Hey guys, what are your favorite knife brands other than spyderco? Personally, the only folding knives I own other than spydercos are emersons.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Welcome to the forum! You waited 3 years to make a post?...haha :D . I honestly dont have another favorite brand. I do like the looks of several of the ZT's though.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I collect Case knives because I Iike to carry a classic slipjoint along with my Spyderco. I usually carry a Spyderco clipped to my right front pocket and a Case Canoe, Sway back jack, drop point Russlock or 087 in my left front pocket because of the pen blade and because the drop point is the best all around blade I have ever seen.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

There are others?
foldingknifehq

Post by foldingknifehq »

Buck, Queens Cutlery, ZT and Brous!

It's a slippery slope!
Check out our HUGE in-depth folding knife reviews here. If you want us to do a particular head-to-head battle please send me a private message!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Gotta be Benchmade. The Axis lock can't be beat, although the new pricing structure of BM has taken them off my purchase list. I'm considering cancelling my pre-order for the 940-1 as well.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only conventional folders I carry are Spydercos, but I do enjoy my Microtech DA/OTFs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Revival wrote:Welcome to the forum! You waited 3 years to make a post?...haha :D . I honestly dont have another favorite brand. I do like the looks of several of the ZT's though.
+1
I think that it is even funnier that his first post is about another brands.
At this time I do not have second favorite brand, which would be somehow close to Spyderco. I own 70-80 Spydercos and carry on various occasions about ten of them. I own four knives from four other brands, one of each: ZT, Ontario, Moki, SAK. Out of these four I carry only Moki on regular basis. I think that Spyderco just spoiled me with their knives due to Spyderhole, great ergos and slicing abilities of my favorites
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was partial to Microtech (folders and OTFs) at one point and older Benchmade designs appealed to me long ago. I do see a visual draw in the designs that ZT has been rolling out, but they have been less than pleasing to my hand and pocket, not to mention they could use some geometry improvement.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

For folders I can't get away from spyderco. For fixed blades it's hard to beat a Mora.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Revival wrote:Welcome to the forum! You waited 3 years to make a post?...haha :D .
It must have taken some willpower, I started posting every question I had right when I joined :o , probably clogged things up a bit. To answer your question LeftyMike I don't have much passion for any other brand but my favorite non Spyderco folder is probably a benchmade sequel.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Great Eastern Cutlery, Queen, Canal Street, Case and Victorinox.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love EKA knives, made in Sweden. Eskilstuna Knivabrik.

They made the famous folders and fixed blades for Rapala/Normark before Rapala started having them made in China; some of the Rapala blades were/are also made by Marttinni of Finland.

EKA made the Super Swede, Big Swede, and numerous other folders. Now they make the Swede 8 and 10 and others:

http://www.eka-knivar.se/

Katz is a good brand, too:

http://www.katzknives.com/

I also like Muela of Spain:

http://www.muelaknives.com/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

PS: Benchmade is also a supreme knife company!

I like their Mel Pardue 530 with Axis Lock and 154 CM Stainless Steel Blade. I've handled that one before. Its great.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Has to be Benchmade, I'm also on board with ZT, Mora, Leatherman used to make good knives, but recently they seem cheap and flimsy.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Spyderco is my favorite, but I also like Benchmade and Microtech.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

And he misspelled the title of the thread!.. :eek:

I only really like and use Spyderco folders, that thumb hole is something special. For fixed blades - Bark River, just love the classic stylings and materials. Followed up by some Kabar products.
Revival wrote:Welcome to the forum! You waited 3 years to make a post?...haha :D . I honestly dont have another favorite brand. I do like the looks of several of the ZT's though.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
WMR

Post by WMR »

Along with my Caly 3.5, I carry a Swiss Army Knife (Wenger) that has a nail clipper. As much as I love my Spyderco, I don't want to attempt fingernails with it.
Also, the Kershaw assisted opening Leek is a very handy knife for arthritic hands.
dancer

Post by dancer »

Only brands I've bought and carried in the last 10 years are Spyderco and Opinel.
Y
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

While I have a couple hundred Spyderco's, I recognize that they aren't the only brand to make quality knives.

I also have a bunch of ESEE's, as well as Blind Horse Knives, Dan Koster, Fiddleback Forge, etc. and even a few ZT, Kershaw and SAK's, and even a Benchmade bought back when ATS-34 steel was supposed the be the latest hot fancy steel :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)