Southard Flipper Full flat regrind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

gpo1956 wrote:I've got to agree. I'm all for mods and "improvements", but to me that just destroys an already great knife. Tremendous waste to me. But, as others have said, to each his own.
At least I can say "mine cuts better than yours" LOL :p

Its not really a tremendous waste if the user likes it though is it?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:Excellent work man...looks fantastic. My only issue with this particular knife/regrind is that I feel like that tang breakage issue might be pushed closer to reality with removing metal from anywhere behind the thumb hole. Probably just my own paranoia though. I'm torn on the idea either way, as I feel this knife (along with the Yo 2) really lose a lot of personality without that grind line down the blade, and sort of end up looking "faceless". As much as I like FFG, I really prefer the looks of just about any other kind of grind.
Im pretty sure the grind will have minimal to no effect on the tang strength :) I have reground a yo2 as well, it does get a little faceless but man, the performance increase is worth it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think I have 7 regrinds, 4 done by Travis and three by Southard. The overall thinnest is probably my ZDP-189 Stretch which is basically 2mm thick with a very shallow bevel. All of which hold up perfectly fine to normal EDC tasks. I haven't snapped a spine yet so having a thicker one really wouldn't benefit me at all. Same reason I don't really have any "hard use folders" anymore.

It's very rare that someone who gets a regrind is upset with it. The person set out to modify a production tool for a specific need and (hopefully) understands the trade-off of insanely thin geometry to durability. These aren't automatically re-designated as sushi knives, you just can't be careless.

The Travis-ized Southard lacks grind lines and a few logos. I don't doubt it slices like pure evil though. As for "destroying a great knife"; I guess it depends if you like looks more than slicing performance. It's probably a horrible pry bar. :rolleyes:
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Amazing job! Wish I had skills like that. If you do stone wash it would love to see follow up pics.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Dang Travis, as far as utility it's an upgrade. And on the aesthetics front, something that's built/modded for work is "beautiful" to me...just one man's opinion.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

razorsharp wrote:Im pretty sure the grind will have minimal to no effect on the tang strength :) I have reground a yo2 as well, it does get a little faceless but man, the performance increase is worth it.
Yeah I'm still on the fence about my Yo 2, but when I do I might just be sending you both cause I do like how the Southard turned out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

razorsharp wrote:At least I can say "mine cuts better than yours" LOL :p

^this. I've seen a couple of these Southards with the ffg and I'm not a huge fan. I would not personally regrind a southard like this but "tremendous waste" is a bit much. :rolleyes: I've got a pacific salt that I reground the tip to a very fine point that suits my uses perfectly, but some would probably have completely different plans for the knife and much prefer the wider stock tip. Whatever. Horses for courses. What I know for sure is that you did a really nice job with it. Very impressive looking grind my friend! And I am quite sure that it is a huge improvement for your uses, the same way my salt is for mine. Enjoy!
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

razorsharp wrote:At least I can say "mine cuts better than yours" LOL :p

Hey, if an owner chooses to paint their Ferrari hot pink with lime green polka dots because it makes them happy, all the more power to them. Not suggesting this is that, just an example.

I personally really like the look of the hollow grind because it's different than all the other Spydie's I have. I also really love the stonewash! I have a lot of options if I want FFG, so I feel no compulsion to make my Southard a better slicer because I don't think it's a poor slicer to begin with. It does everything I want without complaint.

However, what you do with your knife is your business and if it makes you happy then ride that pony. What I would be interested in seeing is a video comparing a stock grind vs the modified FFG and see just how much of an improvement it is.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Syncharmony wrote:Hey, if an owner chooses to paint their Ferrari hot pink with lime green polka dots because it makes them happy, all the more power to them.
He is changing the tool so the performance is increased, the analogy isn't at all applicable.

It certainly fits with the tag line that Sal uses in that he would make the knife which is the tool you carry for function rather than the piece you carry because it is pretty.

But if you buy knives for jewelry, its your money - some people actually use them however so they focus on function.
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Oh, ok. Everyone can have an opinion except me. I don't think I'm the one being defensive (or over dramatic) here. Changing the tool so the performance is increased? Seriously? Knives for jewelry? Where does this stuff come from? A customization job like this must be worth at $125. So, who wants to offer him $350 for it? Like I said, to each his own.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:He is changing the tool so the performance is increased, the analogy isn't at all applicable.

It certainly fits with the tag line that Sal uses in that he would make the knife which is the tool you carry for function rather than the piece you carry because it is pretty.

But if you buy knives for jewelry, its your money - some people actually use them however so they focus on function.
Your analogy isn't good either. A knife's aesthetic is very important to me and to most who spend $200 for a Southard. But no one knows it's a fancy knife inside my pocket, invisible except for the clip. It isn't jewelry. A stock Southard is plenty functional for most.
Not that I'd object to a regrind with a wheel.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

gpo1956 wrote:Oh, ok. Everyone can have an opinion except me. I don't think I'm the one being defensive (or over dramatic) here. Changing the tool so the performance is increased? Seriously? Knives for jewelry? Where does this stuff come from? A customization job like this must be worth at $125. So, who wants to offer him $350 for it? Like I said, to each his own.
One man's "waste" is another man's improvement. My southard regrind cost me $55 and provided a huge improvement in cutting performance and in turn increased the knife's value to me. In fact I liked it so much I contemplated buying another southard so I could have that one reground too. Like you said though, to each his own.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

gpo1956 wrote:Oh, ok. Everyone can have an opinion except me. I don't think I'm the one being defensive (or over dramatic) here. Changing the tool so the performance is increased? Seriously? Knives for jewelry? Where does this stuff come from? A customization job like this must be worth at $125. So, who wants to offer him $350 for it? Like I said, to each his own.
If somebody asked me to do this I'd actually charge about 35 dollars :p

Your opinion is valid man. I don't agree with it, but thats only me. :) Nobody meant grief
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ABX2011 wrote:Your analogy isn't good either. A knife's aesthetic is very important to me and to most who spend $200 for a Southard. But no one knows it's a fancy knife inside my pocket, invisible except for the clip. It isn't jewelry. A stock Southard is plenty functional for most.
Not that I'd object to a regrind with a wheel.
Cliff kinda hit the nail on the head for me. I bought it for design and use, but I wanted increased performance, to fit in with "use" as I plan to use this through most of each week. and now I'm contemplating a cf scale for "design" if that made sense :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Whoa lighten up Francis.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Been playing with finishes. I really like this finish but may end up stonewashing it. By doing this horizontal satin, in the process of taking out the grind lines z I ended up doing a true zero grind, though I ant to thicken it a little (IL have no choice but to thicken it if I stonewash it)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Looks nice, I'd go with a stone washed finish though.

I'd love to see a hollow regrind on a Southard to make it thinner behind the edge. I've thinned down the edge on mine, but no regrind.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I agree. This finish looks nicer than the vertical grind IMO but I believe the stonewash will look better still on this particular blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love the horizontal but I hate that most scratches happen against the grain and show up much more. I would definitely stick with stonewash to match the handle finish and it would look more factory I think.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not what you said but how you said it. When playing the brutally honest game it's fair to expect other participants.

Folding knives (especially Spydies) are performance tools first and foremost. Many people with regrinds find them superior in nearly every way for this. You should try one sometime.