Southard Flipper Full flat regrind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Southard Flipper Full flat regrind

Post by razorsharp »

Heres the latest regrind, I saw Senorsquare's FFG southard done by Big Chris so I decided I would do it too, though my regrind gets rid of all traces of hollow :) it is probaby around 0.002-3" behind the edge
here it is:
http://instagram.com/p/k1B_ZOx62h/

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ew, I need to fxi the plunge on the lock side
foldingknifehq

Post by foldingknifehq »

The second pic, did you stab that in a concrete post??? :eek:
Check out our HUGE in-depth folding knife reviews here. If you want us to do a particular head-to-head battle please send me a private message!
Holland

Post by Holland »

foldingknifehq wrote:The second pic, did you stab that in a concrete post??? :eek:
Looks like it haha. Awesome regrind Travis! Might send you a SouthFork to get thinned out :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

A slicer it is!
Were you able to keep the spine thickness?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Travis, I think your regrind talents, shown here and in other threads, are topnotch.

I should leave it there, but I gotta say that this effort, to my eye, has obliterated the knife's original aesthetics.

To each his own, of course.

Being disinclined to mod, I avoid knives whose design does not initially appeal to me. I bought my Southard for the blend of Southard's and Spyderco's aesthetics.

But, for those inclined to mod, does a knife's original aesthetics factor into how far you will take your mods?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice work Travis! Can we see a spine shot? Thanks!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Holland

Post by Holland »

wrdwrght wrote:Travis, I think your regrind talents, shown here and in other threads, are topnotch.

I should leave it there, but I gotta say that this effort, to my eye, has obliterated the knife's original aesthetics.

Being disinclined to mod, I avoid knives whose design does not initially appeal to me. I bought my Southard for the blend of Southard's and Spyderco's aesthetics.

But, for those inclined to mod, does a knife's original aesthetics factor into how far you will take your mods?
performance over aesthetics for me :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Holland wrote:performance over aesthetics for me :D
Without question, Spencer. I happen to favor (favour, in my Canadian voice...) FFG over HG. What I was leading to was: Is modding intended to preserve a design while taking it a bit farther, or is it intended to correct a perceived flaw in that design. If the latter, why buy the design in the first place. My curiosity is really a philosophical one.

ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Nice job. I agree that on this knife, the original looked better. I have no doubt yours cuts a lot better.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Hehe the original southard did have that nice look to it. I'm thinking of doing a horizontal satin finish to nearly mirror (as my finest belt is 80 grit) then stonewashing it to keep to the original knife more. I think the ffg suits the southard quite well, but each time their own.

To wrdwright, I bought it, used it, loved it, thought it did bind a little cutting some things though I had no problem in that, but I thought "why not make a super slicer, I have 204p here and that with a super thin edge would be sick"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Excellent work man...looks fantastic. My only issue with this particular knife/regrind is that I feel like that tang breakage issue might be pushed closer to reality with removing metal from anywhere behind the thumb hole. Probably just my own paranoia though. I'm torn on the idea either way, as I feel this knife (along with the Yo 2) really lose a lot of personality without that grind line down the blade, and sort of end up looking "faceless". As much as I like FFG, I really prefer the looks of just about any other kind of grind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice work bud! It looks like it really slices! :D

I can certainly see the aesthetics angle (depending on your preferences), especially on an expensive knife. I almost sent you a Phoenix to regrind but really like the lines on that...the Dodo, not so much :p . Then again, the work you did on the Fallkniven is very similar to the factory grind, just with insanely better geometry.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

spine
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Excellent work man...looks fantastic. My only issue with this particular knife/regrind is that I feel like that tang breakage issue might be pushed closer to reality with removing metal from anywhere behind the thumb hole. Probably just my own paranoia though. I'm torn on the idea either way, as I feel this knife (along with the Yo 2) really lose a lot of personality without that grind line down the blade, and sort of end up looking "faceless". As much as I like FFG, I really prefer the looks of just about any other kind of grind.
I love the way the southard looks with a FFG, but I would be just a little ecstatic if I could find someone to do a high hollow grind on that blade.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

senorsquare wrote:I love the way the southard looks with a FFG, but I would be just a little ecstatic if I could find someone to do a high hollow grind on that blade.
hehe I wish I had a large contactg wheel, I would have done a HG
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

razorsharp wrote:To wrdwright, I bought it, used it, loved it, thought it did bind a little cutting some things though I had no problem in that, but I thought "why not make a super slicer, I have 204p here and that with a super thin edge would be sick"
Well, a slicer is what it looks like you've got, but it's not quite as sick as those polished bevels you, Chuck and others produce. ;)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:Well, a slicer is what it looks like you've got, but it's not quite as sick as those polished bevels you, Chuck and others produce. ;)
Well not until a polished 10 degree inclusive bevel is put on it :eek:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:Well not until a polished 10 degree inclusive bevel is put on it :eek:
at the time I took the outdoor pics it was a polished edge at like, 13dps... lol
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

wrdwrght wrote:Travis, I think your regrind talents, shown here and in other threads, are topnotch.

I've got to agree. I'm all for mods and "improvements", but to me that just destroys an already great knife. Tremendous waste to me. But, as others have said, to each his own.