Best use of $179.95 in 2014 product guide....for resale or trade value?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sully

Best use of $179.95 in 2014 product guide....for resale or trade value?

Post by Sully »

My Delica 4 with Foliage Green G-10 was found to be "unable to repair" when sent in to be sharpened, mostly. Shocked. Can now spend the $179.95 on anything in the 2014 product guide.

Just discovered the 2013 Forum knife. Love the Native 5 with Green G-10! I'm Lefty, Irish, mildly infatuated. Hope to track one down somehow. Funds are tight, so I can only have one Spyderco. (Weird, I know.) Hope to eventually trade a NIB whatever + whatever for the 2013 forum knife.

So, what would hypothetically be the smartest way to use the $179.95? What to get, keeping in mind MSPs are obviously much higher in the product guide?

Really value your opinions, as I've been reading you guys for awhile. Thanks so much for your guidance.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would probably try out a Chaparral. No experience with them but I hear great things :) .
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Techno maybe? Titanium Delica?
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Holland

Post by Holland »

chaparral wouldnt be a bad choice.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
spyderfly

Post by spyderfly »

Try to get one of these.

2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5 - RELEASE INFO

C41GPGR5 will be available for purchase on Thursday, 18-Jul-2013 at 0900 MDT.

The discount code will be FORUM2013 and it will give you a 40% discount off the MSRP. The 40% discount is only applicable to the C41GPGR5.

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd get the Stretch Sprint Run in Super Blue steel. People love the super blue blades, and sprint runs are typically the best option if you're looking for a knife to retain or even appreciate in value.
Revival

Post by Revival »

What do you mean it was unable to be repaired when it was sent in for sharpening?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Keep in mind folks, that when Spyderco gives someone credit for a knife's original MSRP, that credit has to be used at SFO, so he's asking for something with a $180 MSRP, not a $180 "street price". That said, kicking in an extra $10 and getting the CF Chaparral, or $20 and getting the FRN/ZDP-189 Stretch would certainly be excellent ways to use the credit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

SFO has the Chokwe on sale for $196 and that might be the best deal there at the moment (it is also discoed and might get hard to find)

Got my Roc Lobster the same way when my Bushcraft UK was sent in..
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

NoFair wrote:SFO has the Chokwe on sale for $196 and that might be the best deal there at the moment (it is also discoed and might get hard to find)
I'd second that recommendation. Swapping a Delica for a Chokwe is a pretty good deal.

The Manix 2 would be a good option as well.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm actually leaning towards the Native 5 and paying the extra $30. For use, not resale or trade. Just never traded a knife, so Don't know how it works. Think I'll love the Native 5. Just would have been in heaven with green G-10 scales and the better steel. Really wish I knew how to obtain one for a fair price.

Decisions. Decisions.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Revival wrote:What do you mean it was unable to be repaired when it was sent in for sharpening?
Yeah, I sent it in for sharpening. And just thought it needed some knowledgable tweaking to get it to open super-smoothly. Waited, then got the letter saying it was "not able to be repaired." Haven't called. Hope they'll have an answer when i do.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sully wrote: I'm actually leaning towards the Native 5 and paying the extra $30. For use, not resale or trade. Just never traded a knife, so Don't know how it works. Think I'll love the Native 5.
Native5 is the great knife. I own few of them. EDC three different variants, depending on occasion. Of cause currently The 2013 Forum knife is getting used more than all my other knives combined.
So if you want the knife for use, Native5 will be a great choice. If you still thinking about trading, I doubt that somebody would trade 2013 Forum Native for regular N5, unless you will add $$$. You will need to have fairly rare knife for somebody to desire to trade their 2013 Forum for that knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5, If you don't already have one then this is the only way to go.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure about the trade part, that's tough to say because you never know about what the other person likes. I think your best bet there is to find someone who has one for sale or trade and ask them this question and work it out with them. The last time I had a SFO credit, I ended up buying my GF a pink Native, and it was actually more rewarding than anything I could have bought for myself. That's something to consider too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

Since you're a lefty, I'm assuming you'd prefer a lefty-friendly lock, so to me that would rule out liner locks and framelocks since the Military is the only model I know of that comes in a lefty version. (And technically, I don't see it in the print catalog, so I'm not actually sure if it's still in production...?)

Another question is whether you're looking for a knife similar in size to your Delica. If so, the Native 5 is pretty close, but with a *slightly* smaller handle and a tiny bit less cutting edge due to the finger choil. (Although also thanks to the choil, the handle *feels* bigger in hand than the Delica to me, which I consider a good tradeoff.) Overall, the N5 is fantastic. I love mine and can't imagine you'd be disappointed. It's definitely a significant upgrade from a Delica.

Caly 3 or 3.5 are also excellent choices in lockbacks, plus they feature the best clips Spyderco makes, in my opinion.

Another lefty-friendly choice that happens to be my overall favorite is the Sage 3 (Bolt Action lock). I think the SFO still has the Blue G-10 version in stock, which is listed at $209. (A lot of people prefer the CF version, but that one's kind of pricey at $249.) The Sage is a much wider (taller?) knife than the Delica or Native 5 due to having both a leaf-style blade and a bit of a thumb ramp. Still carries just fine for me and doesn't obstruct my pocket at all, though.

If you're interested in moving to a larger overall knife, you really can't go wrong with the Manix 2. I don't own the G-10 version, but the lightweight is definitely a "hall of famer" in my collection and gets tons of pocket time.

And finally, as Deacon mentioned, the Stretch is also a fantastic choice if you want a larger do-it-all knife and don't mind FRN handles or the "alligator like" shape of it. (I like both of those things about it very much, actually!)

Sorry...reading over this, I guess I really didn't narrow much of anything down for you! The good news is, it's pretty hard to find a "bad" knife at the SFO! :)
Tim
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Let us know how you come out on this ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Sully

Post by Sully »

DougC-3 wrote:Let us know how you come out on this ;)
Native 5...is out of stock. Can't wait, literally. Lucky enough -- through Forum members help -- to find a Forum Native for sale...very exciting for me! It's even green! Laughably, appropriate for a newbie like me. Will have it soon. Yet....I still have my $179.95 for the catalog. Caly 3.5 G-10, Kiwi4, Manix2...that's where my head is at for Spyderco #2. Thanks to all for your continuous help in this obsessive endeavor!
Sully

Post by Sully »

timlara wrote: Sorry...reading over this, I guess I really didn't narrow much of anything down for you! The good news is, it's pretty hard to find a "bad" knife at the SFO! :)
Not at all! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it all out! Really appreciate the help, timlara.