Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
einstein2001

Franken-spydie

Post by einstein2001 »

Super Blue G10 Ladybug w/ blue rawhide leather lanyard and ninja bead.

[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Here's my latest modding project - new wooden scales for a Wharncliffe Urban. I had some left over wood from a recent Mule project, so I decided to replace the orange G10 with flamed Red Eucalyptus. The Urban has no liners, so it makes an incredibly light weight EDC blade. Even though the Eucalyptus is a bit thicker than the original G10, the modified knife is a few grams lighter than the original.

As usual, I like to do the majority of the work with manual tools. I cut out the scales using a coping saw, drilled and counterbored the holes with my drill press, then I reassembled the knife and began shaping and contouring the scales with rasps, files, and sandpaper. I sanded the scales down to 2000 grit and then finished with five thin coats of TruOil followed by a polish with Ren Wax.

Enjoy!

TedP

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

phillipsted wrote:I think we would all LOVE to hear more about your mod, Diabelek! I haven't taken apart a Pingo, but I assume it doesn't have any washers, so you likely had to add those, right? How about the pivot and backspring - did you use them unmodified?

Beautiful work!
TedP
No washers, but there is a slightly raised circle of FRN on the inside of both scales that serves a similar function. It's hardly there, but visible and just enough to catch my fingernail on. Sorry for the poor quality picture.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

[quote="phillipsted"]Here's my latest modding project - new wooden scales for a Wharncliffe Urban. I had some left over wood from a recent Mule project, so I decided to replace the orange G10 with flamed Red Eucalyptus. The Urban has no liners, so it makes an incredibly light weight EDC blade. Even though the Eucalyptus is a bit thicker than the original G10, the modified knife is a few grams lighter than the original.

As usual, I like to do the majority of the work with manual tools. I cut out the scales using a coping saw, drilled and counterbored the holes with my drill press, then I reassembled the knife and began shaping and contouring the scales with rasps, files, and sandpaper. I sanded the scales down to 2000 grit and then finished with five thin coats of TruOil followed by a polish with Ren Wax.

Enjoy!

TedP

Really nice job Ted. Looks great. I recently asked about Spyderco using linerless G-10 scales. That is what this knife was?

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

Ted, that is beautiful work!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Ted, that is real nice. It looks incredibly comfy to hold, too. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Finished this up yesterday... Emerson Wave Endura w/black G10 DuoSculpted scales in a rippled surface texture on the body and the slant Anso pattern as a faux bolster. Unseen is the toxic green G10 back spacer...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

REALLY nice Boomer.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

jackknifeh wrote:REALLY nice Boomer.
Agreed. The faux bolster is a really cool idea.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

BOOMER52 wrote:Finished this up yesterday... Emerson Wave Endura w/black G10 DuoSculpted scales in a rippled surface texture on the body and the slant Anso pattern as a faux bolster. Unseen is the toxic green G10 back spacer...
Nice! Very cool effect with two patterns on one piece. I love it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Here's the clip side... it was difficult to make out the Anso patten in the first pic...
Souta112`

Post by Souta112` »

Caly 3.5, personally done. Still learning.

"Love is not self-sacrifice, but the assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love." Ayn Rand

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Souta112` wrote:Caly 3.5, personally done. Still learning.

Screw construction FTW!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Souta112`

Post by Souta112` »

xceptnl wrote:Screw construction FTW!
I know, I knew it had to be possible. Oddly enough I've hardly seen Caly mods, almost none. (Guess I'm one of the few stupid enough to try :P)

http://www.customspyderco.com/gallery/f ... 0-full.jpg

In that case there's not even screws, I don't how they attached the scales to the liners... Glue?

I'll post some pics of the lockbar, liners and backspacer after they were drilled, later on tonight. I might have a Manix 2 posted up soon as well, and maybe an update to the Caly.
"Love is not self-sacrifice, but the assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love." Ayn Rand

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand
custommade

Post by custommade »

Souta112` wrote:I know, I knew it had to be possible. Oddly enough I've hardly seen Caly mods, almost none. (Guess I'm one of the few stupid enough to try :P)

http://www.customspyderco.com/gallery/f ... 0-full.jpg

In that case there's not even screws, I don't how they attached the scales to the liners... Glue?

I'll post some pics of the lockbar, liners and backspacer after they were drilled, later on tonight. I might have a Manix 2 posted up soon as well, and maybe an update to the Caly.
I'm extremely interested in this!!
Souta112`

Post by Souta112` »

custommade wrote:I'm extremely interested in this!!
The second image is the original hole sizing. Around 0.095 inches, give or take.

And last, a better beauty pic.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Was the last hole drilled too large at first? What is that.... a copper washer?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Souta112 - Gorgeous work. Nice color, and I bet it's nice and light now. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
AsianKyle

Post by AsianKyle »

What knife is that! I love how deep set the choil is into the handle
AsianKyle

Post by AsianKyle »

razorsharp wrote:Image

The urge to do this was irresistible :p . Regrind and a 16,000 grit Shapton glass edge
What blade is that? I love the choil and handle