What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

Carrying my Tusk today.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DougC-3 wrote:But I was intrigued by Landon's photo of the Super Leaf, Spyderedge Caly, and... is that a Pingo with a prosthetic thumb stud? (may have been a little miscegenation going on there, which is fine with me ;) )

Landon, I think you have a good instinct for composition, and I have to show my ignorance and ask what those straps have been used for... :confused: not computer cable...
First off I thank you for the kind words. Secondly, excellent use of the word miscegenation! I love these random backgrounds I see used on countless photos of knives throughout the internet so I have developed an eye for a potential backdrop. It can embarrass my wife at times, so mostly it happens when I am out during the day (obviously better lighting for cameral phone pics) or while I am at work. I generally am tied to my keyboard or monitor (I now have a 3 monitor setup :D ) while at work, but on occasion get to fabricate in the shop as needed for custom pieces or to help with special setups. So no, the straps are not used for computer cable.

Our installation crews often park their trucks just outside my office and from time to time they like to empty the contents for repacking / reorganizing later. This was one of those instances. These we a mixed pile of nylon ratchet down straps for our delivery trucks. We also use these and heavier nylons to lift our products during installations with a spreader bar. Our facility provides me with hundreds of very industrial yet colorful backgrounds. When work gets stressful I like to take a 5 minute break and walk the premises. Again, thank you for the compliment. One of these days I will take a photography class and possibly have a lot better images to share.

p.s. You really do need a Caly 3 SE. I was lucky to find a Micarta SE AUS-8 and it really changed my mind about what my next knife needed to be. I found this one in almost LNIB condition for less than $80, but it was a 6 month hunt for the right deal. Keep at the hunt. I really wish I had a Caly 3.5 VG-10 SE to hunt for, but sadly that is only in my dreams.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:First off I thank you for the kind words. Secondly, excellent use of the word miscegenation! I love these random backgrounds I see used on countless photos of knives throughout the internet so I have developed an eye for a potential backdrop. It can embarrass my wife at times, so mostly it happens when I am out during the day (obviously better lighting for cameral phone pics) or while I am at work. I generally am tied to my keyboard or monitor (I now have a 3 monitor setup :D ) while at work, but on occasion get to fabricate in the shop as needed for custom pieces or to help with special setups. So no, the straps are not used for computer cable.

Our installation crews often park their trucks just outside my office and from time to time they like to empty the contents for repacking / reorganizing later. This was one of those instances. These we a mixed pile of nylon ratchet down straps for our delivery trucks. We also use these and heavier nylons to lift our products during installations with a spreader bar. Our facility provides me with hundreds of very industrial yet colorful backgrounds. When work gets stressful I like to take a 5 minute break and walk the premises. Again, thank you for the compliment. One of these days I will take a photography class and possibly have a lot better images to share.

p.s. You really do need a Caly 3 SE. I was lucky to find a Micarta SE AUS-8 and it really changed my mind about what my next knife needed to be. I found this one in almost LNIB condition for less than $80, but it was a 6 month hunt for the right deal. Keep at the hunt. I really wish I had a Caly 3.5 VG-10 SE to hunt for, but sadly that is only in my dreams.
I don't have any kind of full SE... thinking of a Pacific Salt, but a Caly would be great, especially a Micarta one. Not sure you need a photography course. You do great with the cell phone, and somehow I don't see you wasting five knives worth of money on a good used advanced amateur Nikon or Canon body and a couple of lenses :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DougC-3 wrote:I don't have any kind of full SE... thinking of a Pacific Salt, but a Caly would be great, especially a Micarta one. Not sure you need a photography course. You do great with the cell phone, and somehow I don't see you wasting five knives worth of money on a good used advanced amateur Nikon or Canon body and a couple of lenses :D
I actually am planning an investment in a nice SLR later this year. Not sure if it will be Nikon or Canon or whatever. With the recent posts of aftermarket Spydie serrations being available for pocket change, I am thinking about other knives I love that were never offered in SE. Next on my must have fro the disc. list will be the Spyderhawk H1 SE. I started my SE experience with a rescue. This helped me to learn to sharpen the serrations because to was able to hold my hand consistently on the stone.
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:I actually am planning an investment in a nice SLR later this year. Not sure if it will be Nikon or Canon or whatever. With the recent posts of aftermarket Spydie serrations being available for pocket change, I am thinking about other knives I love that were never offered in SE. Next on my must have fro the disc. list will be the Spyderhawk H1 SE. I started my SE experience with a rescue. This helped me to learn to sharpen the serrations because to was able to hold my hand consistently on the stone.
I've been eyeing a used Saver Salt. I don't have any H-1 yet. I really need to look into the used options. Not to mention learning some sharpening technique, including serrations.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

NoFair wrote:PM2 clipped to the front of my skiing jacket in the mountains
I would be so worried about losing that! Zip it in your pocket please!!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I would be so worried about losing that! Zip it in your pocket please!!!!
It sits pretty safely. There is velcro holding the flap on the front of the jacket so it sits pretty snugly inside :D

It is also a normal S30V (first run though) PM2 and not the 20CP one so it isn't irreplaceable ;)
SpyderTaco

Post by SpyderTaco »

Pacific Salt earlier at the pool. Now I'm rocking my new tenacious.
My Spyders : Endura wave PE, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious PE, Persistence PE(gifted), byrd Hawkbill SE, Cricket(lost)
Wish list: Yojimbo, Cricket, Delia FFG, Street Bowie, Police 3

-Adam
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The G-10 Jot Singh Khalsa sprint run today.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I had been carrying my D'fly 2 clipped in the rfp but it is un-put-together right now as I'm working on a handle. So the Chaparral 2 is hanging there right now. Every time I use something else and then carry the Chaparral I'm reminded how great that knife is. Really is a good'un. I have taken the thin blade and up a low back bevel on it. Somewhere around 10-12 dps. I did this free hand so it is a bit convexed. I think it had a 12 dps created with the EP. Then I honed the edge at a slightly higher angle. I'd say it is 15 dps at the most. Since I would never use this knife for any HARD use, and since it has a very good blade steel IMO (XHP) a very low edge angle profile should be safe while making this knife a super slicer.

Jack
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

M390 PM2 out, M4 Manix2 back in. That was quick...
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
arty

Post by arty »

More often than not, it is the Chaparral. For the past few days, it has been the Rookie.
I would really like to see a sprint run of the a Rookie with a CF laminate over G10, like the handle of the Chapparral.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

More than just Spyderco's but what is on me at the moment "is rediculous :) ".

1. Chaparral 2 clipped in right pocket.

2. A.G. Russell 3 5/8" (closed) gunstock down in right pocket. I cut the leather thingy off. :)
Bottom knife is the A.G. Russell. Top is a Queen small lockblade. Nice little knife but at $55 it's overpriced because the F&F is not what it should be for that price IMO or by Spyderco's standards for that matter. I'm not knocking the company, just commenting on this knife. It does have PH-D2 blade steel which is pretty good IMO.

3. Manbug in a kydex neck sheath.
Manbug paired with a Fenix LD01 in this picture. The Fenix LD01 is the best EDC flashlight in the world. :) Spyderco should start making flashlights. They could call them Spyderlights. :D

4. Bradley Folder in a belt sheath.
Small knife is the bug which I put AZ ironwood scales on.

5. Opinel #6 in my right rear pocket. I removed the hump on the top of the handle and sanded it. Then I stained it later. No pic of that though. Now it has "rubbed" spots all over it and it looks like a "loved" knife. :)
I did have my Sage4 in my rrp and would use the AGR as my knife for dirty or dangerous (loaning) things. The AGR is a nice knife and I don't want it to get lost or damaged too much so I put the Opinel in the RRP. At least if it gets destroyed or whatever it only cost $13-$15.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

+1 to the Fenix LD01, I carry one on my keys.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

M390 pm2
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Manix 2 DLC for me today.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

jackknifeh wrote:More than just Spyderco's but what is on me at the moment "is rediculous :) ".
What, no boot knife?! :p
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 as always
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Last week I was gifted this GB out of the blue by a random member on BFC for "random act of kindness" day. He specifically instructed me to replace the Benchmade 710 I usually carried as my hard-use knife with it. I've carried it every day since and already put it threw its paces, even chopped up a phone book! It's sharpened at 18DPS finished on a fine ceramic stone then stropped on leather.

(Excuse my Sebenza in the pic, it was the GB that did all that cutting)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Day of supers for me.

Superleaf
Superhawk
Caly 3 (Superblue)
*Landon*