3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in the end

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

There have been a number of Spydercos to come and go in my lifetime. I think the 3 that really had me excited but in the end just didn't live up to my expectations or dreams:
1. Des Horn
2. Sage 3 (Smurf Blue)
3. This may be blasphemy, but I could never cozy up to the ladybug.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

1. Tuff- in my use, it was too thick and bulky to be a good cutter, so it rarely got used

2. Dragonfly- I found the handle to be extremely uncomfortable and couldn't get a good grip on it

3. GB Air- smaller than I expected, and the handle had no ergonomics
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Superleaf, Large Lum Chinese, Leaf Storm.
I don't hate any of these, but just didn't like them as much as I had hoped.
:bug-red-white
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

In the order I bought, and in turn, sold them:
1. ZDP Stretch. Too big, hated the colour.
2. Super Blue Caly 3. REALLY wanted to love this one. Ergos always bothered me.
3. PM2. As a lefty, just found the compression lock was wrong for me.

Slowly came to accept I'm a smaller-knife kind of guy. Love the G10 dragonfly and kiwi. SB delica too.
Holland

Post by Holland »

N5, dodo, and MT
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Dragonfly-not small enough/not big enough. It's just weird. A bigger model would be nice.
Delica/endura-great knives but they just don't turn my crank.
Lum Chinese-I still think I'm wrong about this and need to get one.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
nccole

Post by nccole »

jumbo wrote:In the order I bought, and in turn, sold them:
1. ZDP Stretch. Too big, hated the colour.
2. Super Blue Caly 3. REALLY wanted to love this one. Ergos always bothered me.
3. PM2. As a lefty, just found the compression lock was wrong for me.

Slowly came to accept I'm a smaller-knife kind of guy. Love the G10 dragonfly and kiwi. SB delica too.
You must have the hand of an alien :p Those three are three of the absolute best in ergos for me and many others. I can understand the lefty compression lock issues I suppose.
Donut

Post by Donut »

1. Large Persian
2. Balance
3. Phoenix
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Military- hated it because the clip is mounted for tip down carry.
ParaMilitary- hated it because the compression lock pinched my hand every time I opened it and I don't think you should have to open a knife a certain way to keep it from pinching you
Calypso- I so wanted to love this knive because the Caly 3.5 is my favorite Spyderco of all time buts it's just too long.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I just have a problem of trying to focus on why I don't quite like or enjoy something :) Every :spyder: I've owned and parted with has had a positive feedback in some way ;)

No disrespect, but the theme of the thread disagrees. Much more gratifying to focus on the positive than to pick at the negative :eek:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

1. The Tuff - I was super stoked about it's release. I had high hopes for it, and I generally dig Ed Schemmps's stuff. This one didn't suit my needs when it came down to actually trying to use it. Not a bad knife - it just didn't suit me. I had talked myself into wanting it before it was released though.

2. The Manix 2 XL - I am still a very vocal fan of the original Manix. The Manix 2 XL seemed to lack the heft and stability around the pivot area to me that the original had. I was afraid to use it for hard cutting tasks, unlike my original Manix. As such, I didn't really have a use for it.

3. The Meerkat - this is a tough one because I still think that this is a really cool little knife. The phantom lock is fun to play with. It's fun to stump your buddies when asking them to try and close it. The short, chunky blade did not offer me much for the cutting tasks that I perform.

My list is not a "hate" list - just a list of knives that I was really excited about, and then didn't suit my needs when it came down to using them. Each one helped me learn more about what my needs were, versus my tastes and likes. Sometimes these work in opposite directions. I would really like a Busse Tankbuster, for example - but I have absolutely no use for it.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

1. Yojumbo 2 Pinches my hand every time I open it with the spydie hole. I have over a dozen other spydies with a compression lock, and this is the only one that does it.

2. Leafstorm I Loved the way it looked, but the ergos in my opinion were just BAD.

3. Nilakka This is the smoothest opening spydie that I own. I LOVE the way it looks, and the improved edge holds up really well. Unfortunately, the entire butt end of the knife is one big hot spot. Sharp angles might make for great lines, but it's really uncomfortable in the hand.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I actually don't have one of these. Go figure. I like all my spydercos
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
MissSharp

Post by MissSharp »

Endura, prefer Stretch.
Dragonfly.
Lionspy, too big and heavy but a work of art.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

xceptnl wrote:I can't think of a single model I have purchased that I don't like. Most of the spydies I buy, I know I love it before I purchase. The ones I am not sure I will like, often do not get purchased.
That sounds like an extremely sensible approach, and is the one I stick to. If in doubt, wait until you have had the knife in hand for a while.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

PM2
PM2
and PM2
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Dodo, just too hard to open.
SS Police, just do not like SS.
That is it for me.
Mike
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Para2 - I think that the palm swell is too swollen, or perhaps the forward finger cutout is too deep...I think that the lock is on the wrong side, and I think the the compression lock is very crude and needs refining. Also...it needs a smaller choil that doesn't interfere with the blade edge. Perrin gets it. Choils are for handles...not blades.

Delica - for me the ergos are terrible. there is too much ricasso and not enough blade edge.

Lightweight Manix 2 - the whole concept annoys me. Lets take a hard use, tough knife...and make it out of plastic with a far inferior steel. I just don't get it and never will.
On the hunt for...
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

1) Manix 2 - I know only one a few people. Smooth opening, nice slicer, Just didn't have a comfortable grip as to the others, and the locking mechanism. Much prefer the stretch.

2) Squeak - I like the wider handle for it's size, nice FRN with g-10 like texture, too short and too think of a blade, too much belly on the blade for the length, back of knife just did not sit well in the last of the fingers in the hand.

3) Kiwi - Too thin of a handle, opening and closing. But I am tempted to find out what the new g-10 coming this year is going to be like, just wish the blade shape did change.
Blue Possum
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

dbcad wrote:I just have a problem of trying to focus on why I don't quite like or enjoy something :) Every :spyder: I've owned and parted with has had a positive feedback in some way ;)

No disrespect, but the theme of the thread disagrees. Much more gratifying to focus on the positive than to pick at the negative :eek:
Point taken and point of view appreciated :) As I said in my initial post, this thread is not about criticising individual designs or models, but more a catalog of our individual reactions to those designs. I believe that all Spyderco knives are well designed, otherwise they would not have made it through the company's quality control procedures. However, everybody has different needs, preferences and physiognomy and as such no one design will accommodate everybody.

If you look through the posts I believe there is much positive to balance the negative, such is the capacity of this forum for frank and open discussion.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18