Redwood Burl Southard

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'll be honest; I don't like the way the Southard looks. Something about it seems to just not appeal to me.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Syncharmony - that's quite a looker you have there. Have you found the redwood burl to be soft? In its natural state, redwood is extremely easy to dent with your fingernail. Stabilizing helps toughen it up, but it is still not the most durable wood out there - but certainly one of the most beautiful!

TedP
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

phillipsted wrote:Syncharmony - that's quite a looker you have there. Have you found the redwood burl to be soft? In its natural state, redwood is extremely easy to dent with your fingernail. Stabilizing helps toughen it up, but it is still not the most durable wood out there - but certainly one of the most beautiful!

TedP
It is stablized Redwood and thus far it's held up quite well. I haven't had any problems with scratches, dent or anything of the sort. It won't find itself doing any sort of really tough work tasks, it'll be strictly an EDC type blade, and I suspect that it should hold up quite well in that capacity.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester