Dragonfly-2 vs Chaparral Grip-Feel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Dragonfly-2 vs Chaparral Grip-Feel

Post by this_is_nascar »

Please, I'm not looking to start conflicts with anyone about this. I'm just posting my observations, base on my experiences. It should be known that I like both of these knives.

Now, to the point. I'm somewhat surprised to say, that while using the choil, the DF-2 actually feels better when gripped in my hand. I feel that I have better control and a firmer grip with the DF-2 over the Chaparral. I consider my hands to be on high-end of medium or low-end of large.

I really can't explain it, but I think it has something to do with the handle length. If the handle on the Chaparral was either a bit shorter or a bit longer, it would fit in my hand better. For whatever reason the DF-2 just feels more at home in my hand. Do anyone that's both of knives have a similar experience?

Don't get me wrong. The Chaparral is growing on me, as I've been carrying it everyday since I got it a couple weeks ago. I just found the comparison in "feel" to be interesting.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Everyone's hands are different, and we all have preferences. So your opinion is totally valid. Enjoy whatever works best for you.

I like them both about equally myself.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

gbelleh wrote:Everyone's hands are different, and we all have preferences. So your opinion is totally valid. Enjoy whatever works best for you.

I like them both about equally myself.
Exactly, although in my case the Chaparral feels great and the Dragonfly, while never uncomfortable, never really felt like an extension of my hand.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The dragonfly is unbelievably comfortable and ergonomic considering its diminutive size. But in my opinion, the chaparral is even better. I like them both a lot!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I prefer my Chaparral in hand to my Dragonfly...always have.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Holland

Post by Holland »

do u use the chaparral with the choil? i find both knives very comfortable, but the chaparral edges it out for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The Deacon wrote:Exactly, although in my case the Chaparral feels great and the Dragonfly, while never uncomfortable, never really felt like an extension of my hand.
Agree!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Holland wrote:do u use the chaparral with the choil? i find both knives very comfortable, but the chaparral edges it out for me
Yes, I use the choil.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

After carrying the Chaparral for a bit longer, it does seems to feel better in my hand now, compared to the DF-2. I still love my DF's and you won't see me getting rid of them.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Good to hear! Its a great knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Leon

Post by Leon »

I just got a chaparral in the mail, and I can confidently say that it feels significantly more comfortable in hand than my DF2 (which of course, I love regardless)
Without choking on the blade , I can get a full 4-finger grip on the chaparral
Also, the bigger width makes it more hand filling and more comfortable
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Leon wrote:I just got a chaparral in the mail, and I can confidently say that it feels significantly more comfortable in hand than my DF2 (which of course, I love regardless)
Without choking on the blade , I can get a full 4-finger grip on the chaparral
Also, the bigger width makes it more hand filling and more comfortable
Enjoy your Chaparral. I'm loving mine more and more everyday. Take this however you'd like, but I love the Chaparral even more, ever since getting a Sage-1. The Chaparral feel better clipped to my pocket than the larger Sage-1.
Leon

Post by Leon »

this_is_nascar wrote:Enjoy your Chaparral. I'm loving mine more and more everyday. Take this however you'd like, but I love the Chaparral even more, ever since getting a Sage-1. The Chaparral feel better clipped to my pocket than the larger Sage-1.
I personally like sage 1 better but I can tell practically speaking I'll end up using the chaparral more often..it being a bit smaller makes it a more public friendly EDC, in my opinion
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Agreed, both are just top-notch little big knives! Definitely time for that Ti Dragonfly though... :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Denix

Post by Denix »

I much prefer the grip of the Chaparral over the D'fly. With that being said I prefer the blade, size and looks of the D'fly so I tend to carry it more.

Guy
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

To me, the Dfly is akin to a smaller Caly by its nature of just folding into your grip so cleanly and discreetly. While I love the Chap and Sage series both, they simply cannot perform that feat as well. Not to say their ergos aren't great in their own right, but the Dfly and Caly just cuddle right on up into your palm and give you a feeling of being Wolverine...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I very often carry an H1 Dragonfly, even if it doesn't fit my hands (size 9) terribly well. Or maybe it fits, I just don't prefer the way it feels in hand. Now why do I still carry it? Because it doesn't rust and is convenient for many small tasks and easily fits into the fifth pocket of my jeans.

I wonder how Chaparral compares to Squeak in hand? I like the ergonomics of Squeak much better compared to Dragonfly; it's more hand filling compared to the skinny Dragonfly. Anybody have both? I've been considering getting a CF Chaparral as I like that it has a thin blade. It would be a bit dressier option compared to other little knives that I have already. I'm pretty much limited to guessing / ordering from abroad as the local (Finnish) pricing is rather stiff compared to overseas, even with shipping and taxes included.
nccole

Post by nccole »

I like the Chap better, but don't really prefer either one due to simply liking a larger knife. They are worlds better than other brands' offerings in a similar size though. To me the DF2 just doesn't fit me like some around here. The hump in the middle is too exaggerated for my taste.