3 Pocket Scalpels....Comments

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

3 Pocket Scalpels....Comments

Post by dbcad »

When I first joined the forum one of the primary goals was to learn how to make blades sharp. This goal has been achieved and my edges are now hovering somewhere on that asymptotic curve dependent on steel, mood, time of day, day of the week, etc.......Thanks folks :) I continue to learn :)

Here are 3 really nice pocket scalpels :) The Pingo was a devoted paper slicer at work, but felt so good to use I had to reattach the clip and liberate it ;)

The Leaf Urban is special piece with a very fine edge :) , looks like the tip area needs a look :eek:

The D'Fly ZDP never needs to be sharpened with light use and has a very fine edge ;)

All are well sharper than the average knife user out on the street would have :eek:

What are your pocket scalpels? How did you arrive at sharp?? How sharp do you keep them?......Just curious ;) :eek:
Attachments
Urbanpingodfly.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
paladin

Post by paladin »

My constant companion, my gray Caly Jr. is my pocket ( read "waistband" ) scalpel.

I use my EP Apex for reprofiling to remove the shoulder, the 2 times it's needed it since I've bought it. Starting with a 120 EP stone, to 220, and so on up to my 1000 EP waterstone...setting at 15 degrees determined by my AngleCube.

I then reset EP to 20 degrees, use 600 EP waterstone back thru 1000 for "working edge."

Run the blade thru a hard felt cube a few times, then...

I place ultrafine rods in sharpmaker @ 40 deg. tipping the blade inward to add ca. 10 more degrees to the angle, and very very lightly draw the blade across to remove any remnants of burr and make a "microbevel."

This edge will easily slice phone book pages and shave photos from glossy magazines...good enough for goverment work!!! :rolleyes:

I use my sharpmaker to tune up the edge in between reprofilings and sometimes I use a KnivesPlus leather strop just because I enjoy stropping when the spirit moves me. ;)

Edge maintenance is very easy for me in my use combined with the great design of the Caly's.

Great thread!!!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My pocket scalpel is a Case 6308 whittler with a small clip point blade half the thickness of a Ladybug's, hand honed on DMT Diafold sharpeners to an edge that will shave arm hairs without a sound or causing them to jump. "Hair popping" means it's time for a touch up on the extra fine.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me it's the ZDP Ladybug. I sharpen it down to about 25 inclusive an it slices like a laser, having one of the thinnest blade stocks used by Spyderco (not counting the Bugs of course).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I am just learning to get really sharp edges, but this has clearly become my focus...I have really slowed down on buying new knives and have been spending more time getting them truly sharp.
Paladin, I like your technique...I like a similar combination so far of EP for primary bevel and SM for edge/micro bevel although I don't take it as far as you have indicated (yet).

As far as my scalpels, I still have to say my Caly 3.5 came from the factory pretty freaky sharp and still is. This has to be the sharpest factory knife I have ever received from any company and really popped hairs almost like a straight razor. I know with practice I should be able to top this, but for know this is about as scary sharp as I have. I am working on my delica now, with the thin blade stock and easy to sharpen VG10 I should be able to get even sharper than the Caly came...but not there yet.

(Just saw the post from Evil D and I forgot about my grashopper...maybe I can get this one even sharper due to the really thin blade)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Anything I carry will perform better than the box cutters at work. My favorite is the Military CPMS90V something about that knife is just perfect for me and is wearing a toothy polished edge from a belt sander and power strop on paper wheel. I can't even remember the last time I had to sharpen that knife. I also sometimes carry a reground Jess Horn Sprint in burgundy FRN with ZDP189 that would probably better fit the thread title. I also enjoy carrying a Bill Moran FB01 in VG10 which has a similar edge finish to my Military.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Caly 3 SB is my sharpest to date, Charlie. The edge that steel will take is amazing. Currently sharpened on WEPS finished on 8k Chosera. It's a matter separator! ;)

But all of my EDCs carry a great edge these days. Even the little Balance has a thinner edge than VG10 "should" have. I love them super sharp, even if it means more frequent tune ups.

I wish I had the skills/tools to take my Memory to a zero edge (with micro bevel). I think that would be one amazing knife.

Ken
玉鋼
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm actually surprised by this many responses :)

(Just saw the post from Evil D and I forgot about my grashopper...maybe I can get this one even sharper due to the really thin blade)......the 3 cr13 will take a very sharp edge, the bug in my wallet is a testament.

For me it's the ZDP Ladybug. I sharpen it down to about 25 inclusive an it slices like a laser, having one of the thinnest blade stocks used by Spyderco (not counting the Bugs of course)....... Agreed on the ZDP David ;) Very interesting stuff :eek:

Caly 3 SB is my sharpest to date, Charlie. The edge that steel will take is amazing. Currently sharpened on WEPS finished on 8k Chosera. It's a matter separator!

But all of my EDCs carry a great edge these days. Even the little Balance has a thinner edge than VG10 "should" have. I love them super sharp, even if it means more frequent tune ups.
..........We are fellow edge nuts Ken :eek:

Yab, that little case blade sounds sweet :D Paladin, you are definitely an edge nut :D Chapman, you echo my feelings that any knife folks like us are carrying will out cut the vast majority of the "normal" knife users blades ;)

Sharpen and enjoy :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I just use a Lansky Delux system to reprofile/set the bevels right now, and a sharpmaker, UF rods, and a KP Strop Block are what I use to set microbevels and maintain the edge. I have lately been carrying my orange D'fly with a microbevel on the factory edge that at least starts out with the ability to catch hair above the arm on a backwards push. Thanks to the UF rods, and as always, VERY VERY light pressure on the stones for the last half my passes on each grit.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I steered on my sharpmaker but recently got an edge pro. It helps a lot with keeping a consistent angle and reprofiling. I've worked on reprofiling a few of my spydies but there are a lot to go. It's made me realize how many come from the factory with different bevels.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

My Tasman is pretty sharp. Fairly certain I could slice someone with it and they wouldn't even realize they were cut until the blood started to flow.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have found these 3 (plus 1 honorable mention) to be my pocket scalpels. Ironic that they are all Japanese? These 4 have seen more diversity in edge bevels and finishes.

Superblue (in the Caly) is my favorite currently (this fact is not lost on any of you whom have seen my posts from the last year).

VG-10 (in the Kopa) with stock this thin can be a real surprise when the left at the Spyderco medium finish or all the way to the Chosera 10K

ZDP-189 (in the Caly Jr) is still the original super-steel and remains one of my favorites, I plan to drop the angle on this one more very soon

CPM-D2 (Para 1) has really surprised me in this platform alone. I used ingot D2 for years before being Spydiebit, yet the CPM versions fine grain structure makes t easier for me to really get a keen edge with minimal work.

A side note, all of these are my smaller, backup, off hand, slicers and often ride FLP.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*