Double Bevel Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MatthewSB

Double Bevel Review

Post by MatthewSB »

I'll start by saying that I'm a huge fan of Bob Terzuola's designs. When I think of "tactical knife" the first images that pop into my head are his ATCF folders and the CQB1 fixed blade. He literally wrote the book on the tactical folding knife, and those who understand what that word means, beyond the marketing hype, know that Terzuola's straight bladed designs are perfect for a knife made for serious social purposes. In that regard, the Double Bevel doesn't disappoint. It's every bit as "tactical" as a CQC-7, but much more refined. This is the knife I'll wear with a suit

This knife, at first, felt tiny compared to my Starmate, but after playing with it, it's "just enough".

The grip is rectangular, which resists twisting and is very secure in the hand. There is jimping on the back of the blade, which forms a nice thumb ramp. The bump for the Spyderco hole forms a hand stop when held with a "sabre" grip or reverse grip.

The blade has the most perfect grinds I've ever seen on a production knife. The swedge is a neat touch, and I really like the flat ground tanto deisgn. The double bevel, with a flat grind towards the tip and a hollow grind towards the handle, really shows how much more material is behind the cutting edge in the hollow ground section.

The handle to blade ratio is perfect, I don't think you could shave another mm off of the handle length and still cover the blade.

The lock is thick (half as thick as the blade, looking at it) and locks up at about 30%.

The pocket clip is in just the right spot for tip down carry. I'll never carry this tip up, as the detent isn't as positive as I'd like.

One disappointment - the washers. I'm pretty sure that they're nylon. Why, on a knife as nice as this, they don't spend another few cents on phosphor bronze washers, or at least nylatron like Bob Terzuola made popular, is beyond my understanding. I get that I'll probably never wear the washers out, but it just comes off as cheap and a corner cut on an otherwise perfect knife.

The construction is amazing. The only other production folder I've seen that oozed quality, like the Double Bevel does, is my Al Mar Sere 2000. The Sere 2K also has the same washers, which makes me believe that they came from the same factory, but that's just a theory.

Overall, the knife is light, small enough to wear anywhere, big enough for anything you can reasonably do with a folding knife, and classy.

This knife is exactly what I hoped for - similar to a Benchmade 910 Stryker and an Emerson CQC-7, but more size efficient and better made.

Edited to add: Sorry for the blurry photos, not sure what went wrong :(
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thats much smaller than i was expecting. looks nice
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Thanks! I like it, but it's too small for me. If it had closer to a 4 inch blade, I'd have one in my pocket right now.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Terrific review, Matthew :) . Please do more of them!

Love the knife. Always been curious about the Al Mar since I understand Moki makes them similar to my Fallkniven. If that is true your speculation about the Double Bevel's origin is right on.

I'm glad it's under 3.5" and legal for my silly laws.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nice review! I kinda dismissed this one but I should probably take a closer look.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Nice review.
And a terrible review because I swore I didn't want one, and now I do :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

darnit...i didnt want one either till i saw your in hand pics. i never thought i had a need for the split grinds, it looks like another sholder to catch while cutting ( i have no real tactical need). but seeing it sure does look pretty.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. MatthewSB!

And Thanx Much for your review and pics.

I've been thinking the Double Bevel is a real WorkHorse.

Your review confirm this impression.
:)
Stay Sharp!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the nice review. Looks interesting. It's smaller than I was picturing too.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

thanks for the review. It looks like a great knife. A little smaller than I thought...but still a nice size. And I love a nice simple straight handle and blade. That's my favourite style...

The only thing that I dislike, is the really steep thumb ramp. My thumb just doesn't bend like that! But it looks like there is enough steel there that I could grind it into a more shallow angle...
On the hunt for...
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

Great review. I picked one up today. I wasn't going to get one until I handled it. The workmanship rivals Taiwan. I actually worked where we used different washers and peel ply shims for bearings. The nylon washers wear better than brass peel ply or phosphor bronze. Also better than red brass. This definitely is a great concealable tactical instrument. I also got a super blue Endura for every day carry because of the price difference.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Nice review!
cckw

Post by cckw »

I have handled it and liked it. However the tanto is a deal killer for me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the review, Matthew. I too am a huge fan of Mr. T's work. :) The Double Bevel is on my "must have" list of '14.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I really like everything about this knife, except the double bevel. I'd really like one with a full HG blade (or full FFG).
:bug-red-white
gastonian

Post by gastonian »

Thanks for the review!

Finally, a new tanto from Spyderco!

This is a must buy for me, and I hope that Spyderco will do some more tanto blades in the future. :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I agree, I had dismissed this one previously based on stats, but it does look like it strikes a nice balance.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice review and great pics MatthewSB! How do folks like the Starmate and DB versus other tantos like the Lum and Vallotton?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

That Starmate looks like it waited its whole life to be in the first picture. Very nice MatthewSB!
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I am extremely intrigued. I would like to see this one in person before making a decision on whether or not to purchase. Much like the others who have posted I expected it would be larger.