Spyderco Forum Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

yablanowitz wrote: I prefer the "pay up front and wait a few months to get it" approach myself.
KW did that with the Green Para2 and it turned into a big fiasco.. It was about a year and a half from when the pre-order went up till they came available.

Figure on 1 to 2 years before they get made.

CF/M4 be a good choice for a Para2, however M4 is used in several production knives..would be cool to see something less common like S110V Para2 or K390 Millie for something like this.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Quote Evil D:
"how about CPM REX 121 with double stone washed Ti bolsters, mammoth ivory scales with platinum bug inlays and neon yellow G10 liners with a sunburst machined Ti frame lock with 6 way wire clip, oh and how about a compound grind hollow/flat on one side with chisel side on the other, partially serrated tanto tip with a wave hook flipper automatic assisted opening bali".

Hmmm, I think we have our forum exclusive knife.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Gunslinger wrote:
Hmmm, I think we have our forum exclusive knife.
No mokume...no tritium...no gemstones...now im just disappointed.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Philo Beddoe wrote:KW did that with the Green Para2 and it turned into a big fiasco.. It was about a year and a half from when the pre-order went up till they came available.

CF/M4 be a good choice for a Para2, however M4 is used in several production knives..would be cool to see something less common like S110V Para2 or K390 Millie for something like this.
So, this calls for the Para 2....and 3/4. Take an S110V blade same thickness of a MT18 and scale the Para 2 to 3/4 size, add thinner skeletonized liners. Let Halpern make the natural translucent or canvas micarta scales. Work with Taichung to put their perfecto cleano finish on it...... VOILA, a superparamagilistic, Spydie.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

In unobtainium.... Wait, adamantium.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

One way to get a little bit more meaningful result from polling would be, first, continue to haggle for a while until people seem to agree on five top selections, since the forum poll allows only five choices. Many choices would first be vetoed by constraints of reality and practicality.

Then, vote on those five and drop the knife with the lowest score. Repeat with the top four kinives, drop the lowest scoring one of the four, and so on until only one knife is left.

That way it wouldn't be like winning by a simple plurality, and the losers would at least feel as though they had had their shot at it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MacMillan

Post by MacMillan »

My humble recommendation would be an M4-based Para2 with Spyderco-red G10 scales.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Not to burst the bubble, but I don't see this working out at all... you're talking about entering into a buisness transaction with hundreds of people you've never met... sounds like a recipe for disaster. Who's going to collect the funds and make arrangements with Spyderco? Who's going to take delivery of the 1000 knives and distribute them? What happens if there's customer disatisfaction with the knife they personally recieved because the blade, for example, wasn't centered? Etc.

Just my $0.02
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

captnvegtble wrote:Not to burst the bubble, but I don't see this working out at all... you're talking about entering into a buisness transaction with hundreds of people you've never met... sounds like a recipe for disaster. Who's going to collect the funds and make arrangements with Spyderco? Who's going to take delivery of the 1000 knives and distribute them? What happens if there's customer disatisfaction with the knife they personally recieved because the blade, for example, wasn't centered? Etc.

Just my $0.02
If your answer to all the questions is "Spyderco"... then you might as well as call it a "Sprint Run" directly from Spyderco.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

We had several threads to this effect over the past few years pertaining both to official models and funding them, and things kinda fell through. That said, it is entirely possible to do this if enough people get behind one idea.

for a Para2 with a certain color of G10 and a specific steel (i.e. A sprint run requiring no reengineering of materials), I'm guessing a minimum investment to be something along the lines of $60K, assuming 600 knives at a hundred bucks each. The more exotic steels and special treatments would raise that price, and I am talking about wholesale with Sal's blessing on the project.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Philo Beddoe wrote:KW did that with the Green Para2 and it turned into a big fiasco.. It was about a year and a half from when the pre-order went up till they came available.

I forget how the EDC forum knife was handled - wasn't it paid up front? Cash up front is probably the only way to eliminate a very sizeable financial risk ($60-80k) for whoever becomes the point person/organizer of this. And yes, that was a pain for KW and IIRC a pain for EDC, too - I remember him chasing people for a long time trying to match up pre-orders with the knives when they ultimately were delivered.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is not correct. Previously, forum members paid full amount in advance. KW took only $20 deposit, which is not life time savings. I treated this like I bought a right to buy very special knife (knives) at reasonable price. I never understood complains on this regard.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

DougC-3 wrote:One way to get a little bit more meaningful result from polling would be, first, continue to haggle for a while until people seem to agree on five top selections, since the forum poll allows only five choices. Many choices would first be vetoed by constraints of reality and practicality.

Then, vote on those five and drop the knife with the lowest score. Repeat with the top four kinives, drop the lowest scoring one of the four, and so on until only one knife is left.

That way it wouldn't be like winning by a simple plurality, and the losers would at least feel as though they had had their shot at it.
Very good idea!
bh49 wrote:This is not correct. Previously, forum members paid full amount in advance. KW took only $20 deposit, which is not life time savings. I treated this like I bought a right to buy very special knife (knives) at reasonable price. I never understood complains on this regard.
This is how I approached it as well. People combining about it 24/7 were really starting to get in my nerves by the end if it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I bet if you made a sprint of the Lil Temp, there'd be enough orders for it. Not sure how it'd work with Spyderco, but I'm almost certain you can sell them all. I don't care much for the G10 handles on the original, but I'd buy it just for the design anyway.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull