Who Loves the Spyderco Wire Pocket Clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Oh yes, big fan of the wireclip. Strong enough, discrete and comfortable.
Somehow strange, my favorite wireclip clip is not the one they are using the most nowadays, but the one they put on their first models (like the Salsa, Assist, Native 3D), with thinner wire and broad profile.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Elegant, simple, functional, and discrete.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

I like 'em!!
gherea

Post by gherea »

Just ordered some of these, really impressed by spyderco's speedy service. I emailed them yesterday and promptly got a reply on how to go about ordering some spare wire pocket clips and they directed me to ordering from their factory outlet either by phone or email. So i opted for the email and sent it about half an hour ago and now half an hour later they're processing the order ready for shipment tomorrow, 2 clips for $18.90 shipped. Sweet!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

On some knives I like them, and some are better suited to regular clips, like larger knives. I love wire clips on the Dragonflys. I find the regular clips are more secure, and really, you can still see the wire clips - they're not that discreet compared to a black clip.
- best wishes, Jazz.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'm a wire clip advocate. I think they look a lot classier and the bronzed versions do look a lot more discreet as well. I'd be very happy if many more models came with a low-riding wire clip.
nccole

Post by nccole »

My favorite, I modded my Chokwe to take a wire clip because I love it so much. I have posted these before, but it shows my dedication to the wire clip. I wish all had a wire clip, and on some models where deep carry is not preferred the non-deep carry wire clip will do the trick.

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice...
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one, I much prefer the hourglass clip over the wire clip. I have bent more wire clips then the hourglass clips bumping into things. I also like how the hourglass clips wear over time. It's not a deal breaker for me whether the knife has a wire clip or not, just prefer the hourglass more.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

not liking wire clips= Le' Fool
mayonardo

Post by mayonardo »

Don't like it. On the Dragonfly 2 it spoils the great ergonometrics of the handle shape and material by being between your hand and the scales. Uncomfortable when using the knife, which is more important than how it looks or treats your pants material. I took mine off. Would like another option that isn't so in the way.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Tabo wrote:I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one, I much prefer the hourglass clip over the wire clip. I have bent more wire clips then the hourglass clips bumping into things. I also like how the hourglass clips wear over time. It's not a deal breaker for me whether the knife has a wire clip or not, just prefer the hourglass more.
What kind of things are you bumping into that bends the wired clip but not the normal clip?
mayonardo wrote:Don't like it. On the Dragonfly 2 it spoils the great ergonometrics of the handle shape and material by being between your hand and the scales. Uncomfortable when using the knife, which is more important than how it looks or treats your pants material. I took mine off. Would like another option that isn't so in the way.
I use my dragonfly 2 all the time and I don't think its uncomfortable at all. You can't ask for a better clip on such a small knife. What kind of clip would you prefer on the DF2? Curious to know if you have any other knives with the wired clip or just giving your opinion based on the DF2?..... Oh yeah and welcome to the forums!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like wire clips but I like tip down more.

I like black wire clips. I put a black clip on my Sage3.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Other than on the Dragonfly, I don't like it. On larger Spyderco models, I prefer the traditional clip.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
mayonardo

Post by mayonardo »

Well, I have the Delica 4 and the clip is fine. Does its job and is not much in the way when the knife is in the hand. But, for me, the ergonomics of the Dragonfly handle and shape and feel of the scales is perfect for such a small knife. The feel is outstanding and the knife is easy to manipulate securely for different cutting tasks. With the clip on, however, all that changes. When the clip is on the right side it sits squarely between the handle and my palm. Intrusive and uncomfortable. With the clip on the other side it is under my fingers and while less intrusive, still in the way and uncomfortable.

I put a leather lanyard on mine, took the clip off and carry the Dragonfly in my watch pocket. Easily retrieved with the lanyard, or a finger, and I don't have that clunky clip to deal with. I would prefer a solid metal clip appropriate to the size of the Dragonfly and low to the scales so it is as much out of the way as possible.

Ken Onion's clip on his Swindle design answers this need, but I found them to be too weak to trust the knife would stay securely clipped to a pocket. You can ask me how I know, but you already know the answer. I have had two. Lost one. Sold the other. I think the EDC knife community is ripe for a new clip design that works and stays out of the way when you are actually using the knife.

And, thanks for the welcome. I am pleased to have found this forum.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Simply put, the EDC Spydies that I have that carry the deep carry (Caly) or near-deep carry (Sage) clips as stock items are the only ones that I haven't had the need or reason to swap out the stock clip for a custom deep carry version (courtesy of STR and blade4sell on eBay, who both sell some really great options).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mayonardo wrote:I think the EDC knife community is ripe for a new clip design that works and stays out of the way when you are actually using the knife.
Innovation is a good thing. Of course with so many differing requirements one person's innovation is another's negative.

The "innovation" I'm liking is the clip on the Nilakka (something else had it too... PPT?) where the clip mounts on the spacer. Gives you deep carry and no additional holes (for a two way) which some folks really seem to hate. Really wish the Memory had that clip too. Of course it would have to change to tip up, but that would be fine by me.

Ken
玉鋼
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I like them but wonder if they could be made a little stiffer? I've lost a Squeak and suspect the low tension clip.

In addition to carry height, more focus could perhaps be directed to clip's effect on comfort in use. Quite a few clips dig into hand during extended harder use; wire clips are often better than average i this regard.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mayonardo wrote:I think the EDC knife community is ripe for a new clip design that works and stays out of the way when you are actually using the knife.
Saw in interesting clip from Böker today (at KC)

Basically you push it open. When you use the knife, it slides into the handle.

No idea how well it works, but it's an interesting design that allows some flexibility.

Ken
玉鋼