Lets talk about boots

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i just received a pair of deerskin mocs from a company called footskins-http://www.footwearbyfootskins.com/

if anyone is interested they are american made and i can tell you the quality of these things is off the price to quality chart-

i mention this because they also make some lighter duty boots -
dialex

Post by dialex »

Love them since I was a teenager. I remeber I had a classmate who had a great pair, all the boys were looking after them. Now I think she was aware of this, since she used to wear only tight tops and... What? You said "boots"? Oh, I don't know much about those, but could we talk instead... Oh well, never mind... :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just dug up this thread because i scored a pair of Altama 4157 boots today from a surplus place for a mere $45 (they're typically $125 new unless you find them cheaper online). These are the military spec combat boots that have been issued to the military since 1969. I've had a long love affair with these boots (though i have no military background) because they're insanely durable and once properly broken in they can be incredibly comfortable. I plan on wearing them as a casual/dress shoe/boot for work after a nice shine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have been wearing a pair Altama 4157 for motorcycle riding boots going on two years now. It always amazes me how comfortable they are and my feet feel better after a day in these boots then my new balance shoes. Great boots and look forward to hearing your impressions of them after break in.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Zombie thread revival. I put almost 2.5 years on my Altamas, and decided I'd like something with a little more shock absorption for work. So, I took my own advice and bought another pair of Redwing 607s. Amazingly, the store I bought them from keeps a record of all purchases dating way back to the mid '80s (wow!) and told me that my first pair was bought back in '03 and even had the size and width that I bought back then so I knew exactly what to buy. They're a good bit more expensive now than they were 11 years ago, but I have faith that they're still worth the price. I was tempted to get my old ones retreaded but the toe caps are broken down and splitting, which caused some digging on the tops of my toes and they said there's nothing they can do to fix that so I've retired them. It's a pretty cool feeling knowing that after 11 years and who knows how many different pairs of boots and shoes, I've come full circle to the first quality pair of boots I ever bought, and bought them not only from the same boot store.
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i wont wear any boots not american made anymore- they always have quality and comfort -
last year i bought a pair of carolina 905 linesman boots for riding -lovem
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have worn these Timberland Pro Wellingtons (3 pairs or so) since 2003. Lately I have been more drawn to the Square toe and the Ariat brand has proved to be very well made and durable, not to mention comfortable. I have been wearing them 6 days a week for about 18 months.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Redwings all the way.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I've had a pair of Danner Vicious GTX for the last few months that I really like. They have Gore-tex liners and so far have been 100% waterproof and very comfy.

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Redwings all the way.
Don't drop those tools!!! :eek: :D
willc

Post by willc »

I used to buy Wolverines but they wore out too quick.
So I switched to Thorogood boots and am currently sold on them.

No break in period is needed and they are very comfortable.
Mine have the composite safety toe and Thorogoods are lasting me a good bit longer.
The pair I have now is a year old and still has a couple months left.

Also they are union made in the USA.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sure wish I could say Redwings didn't require breaking in LOL. I'm not sure how I would feel about not having to, it's sort of part of the experience. Part of what makes a great fitting boot is that they stretch and form to the shape of your unique foot.
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i use redwings for my job- usa made only- 2233 model -i love the small almost non existent lugs on the sole- doing tile a heavy lug fills up with thinset grout mud ect ect pretty fast
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rosconey wrote:i use redwings for my job- usa made only- 2233 model -i love the small almost non existent lugs on the sole- doing tile a heavy lug fills up with thinset grout mud ect ect pretty fast
That is a really nice boot. If they came in black I may have bought those this time around.
~David
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

willc wrote:I used to buy Wolverines but they wore out too quick.
So I switched to Thorogood boots and am currently sold on them.

No break in period is needed and they are very comfortable.
Mine have the composite safety toe and Thorogoods are lasting me a good bit longer.
The pair I have now is a year old and still has a couple months left.

Also they are union made in the USA.
I had a set of Thorogood boots years ago and they lasted me a whole year, which was longer than any previous boot had lasted for me (Dakota boots mostly). Going on 4 years with my first pair of Redwings, and they're more comfortable once broken in, if a tad heavier.

---> Branden
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

Evil D wrote:That is a really nice boot. If they came in black I may have bought those this time around.
they last me 3 years or so- never had a chinese boot last more than 1 and or still be comfortable -
i have some eastland chukka boots that might be the most comfortable shoe ever made
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I had heard Redwings were moving their assembly to China, but mine are old enough to be Made in USA, so I never did find out.

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I had heard Redwings were moving their assembly to China, but mine are old enough to be Made in USA, so I never did find out.
Never heard anything like that. Mine still say Made in USA on the tongue.
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

some are made overseas- some assembled here from overseas parts -and some still made in the usa-

my local shop tried to sell me a 200$ pair of chinese redwings- no sale -thats why i ended up with the carolina linesman boots -
willc

Post by willc »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I had a set of Thorogood boots years ago and they lasted me a whole year, which was longer than any previous boot had lasted for me (Dakota boots mostly). Going on 4 years with my first pair of Redwings, and they're more comfortable once broken in, if a tad heavier.
Wow, you got 4 years out of a pair of Redwings?
I have always wanted to try them but never got around to them.

I am a carpenter and I build scaffolding all day so I am really happy when I can get a year out of a pair of boots.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3