McGyver and Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

McGyver and Spyderco

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know Mac always preferred Swiss Army Knives, but, if he carried a Spyderco in addition to a SAK, which would you say he would go for?

I don't think he'd go for the more combat-oriented ones like the military, or the Endura even, would it be more like the Manix, or what do you think, based on his personality on the show and his uses.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, I guess it would have to be a pretty early model, something made in 1992 or before. A resourceful guy like him would probably do fine with a Delica.
:bug-red-white
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

SpyderWrench, any version made in USA or China...

I was checking mine over last night, ( the First Gen) and apart from the weight ( which nothing can be done about ) it would be just fine for Mac...
SpyderEdgeForever

Those Spyder Wrenches were cool, Stuart.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Then: Delica
Now: Clipitool
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

Duh... a Honeybee. From the Honeybee he would use a gum wrapper, 5 1/8 inches of used kite string, a half eaten tin of mustard sardines, & a 1943 Buffalo nickle to fashion an electronic scrambling device to disable the bad guy's death ray aimed at the Washington monument.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Probably a Delica. But then, I distinctly recall, he didn't always carry the same Model SAK. So why not different spydercos?
Freman

Post by Freman »

That's a lot of Swiss Army Knives.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Why would he even need a knife? All he ever needed was a paper clip, can of bubble tape, paper airplane and a pen to create an explosive to blow a door off its hinges. No reason of him having a knife unless he is eating a steak.
SpyderEdgeForever

paladin wrote:Duh... a Honeybee. From the Honeybee he would use a gum wrapper, 5 1/8 inches of used kite string, a half eaten tin of mustard sardines, & a 1943 Buffalo nickle to fashion an electronic scrambling device to disable the bad guy's death ray aimed at the Washington monument.
A True MacGyverism =)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

It wouldn't matter what model he had. I've seen him completly destroy the bad man with 12 volts from a car battery. He got out from under a snow avalanche with his ski pole. For this episode he had a couple of feet of space to work in after an entire mountain of snow landed on top of him. :) Story after story of him using a plastic spoon to dig through the rockies. So I suppose a Ladybug (or a bug :) ) is all McGuyver would need. :) He was truly th man's man. :rolleyes: :D

Jack
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

He should have to use all that since he's so anti-gun. I don't think celebrities should be able to appear in any movie or tv series that has a firearm in it if they are anti-gun themselves. I get mad every time I turn by that Stargate or whatever he did.
Freman

Post by Freman »

Stargate SG1 was a very enjoyable television series, although RDA had basically retired to show producer by the final season.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I too think he would get a Spydewrench! If he had one, his show might still be on! LOL
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dude! A Dyad all day long and twice on Sundays :cool:
SpyderEdgeForever

I am glad you brought up Star Gate SG1. One thing I always enjoyed about that show was their frequent use and showing of knives, mostly fixed bladed military style knives if I recall. In almost every episode you saw O`Neil and other characters with knives.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

TheRaven wrote:Probably a Delica. But then, I distinctly recall, he didn't always carry the same Model SAK.
True
His most commonly used knife was a "Tinker" model from Victorinox. But throughout the show he used several different models of both Victorinox and Wenger brands to match particular tools used in the episodes.

In one episode he uses an Orange Peeler blade; probably from a Victorinox "Executive." He may have used an older model "Explorer" from Victorinox later in the series. He also used the Sportsman in "Lost Love pt. 1 and 2", the Recruit in "GX-1", and the Climber in "Three for the Road." In "Tough Boys" he uses a Tinker (with the key ring removed) to unlock a large padlock.

He also had a couple of non-production models that were obviously modified for the series.
In "Serenity," he has a knife with wood panels to stay in setting with the period of the episode.
In "Strictly Business" he used a knife with the Victorinox shield on the back handle of the knife instead of the front.

The knife seen in the opening of each episode is a Wenger, as noted by its long keychain

http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/faq.html
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE