So I joined a new forum and while there...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Gunslinger

So I joined a new forum and while there...

Post by Gunslinger »

While I was there I found a thread warning people about Spyderco.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=742658
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I did not read all the way through because he ranted and it was annoying...but he is complaining about corrosion on his knives...how is that spydercos fault? That is entirely up to the care provided by the owner. Gotta love (but really hate) when people are entirely irrational on the ol interwebs.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Meh. If what he says is true, then Spyderco should fix it and make some adjustments. However, I doubt his claims are true, especially about the service of Spyderco. My experience has been excellent. And as far as corrosion goes, wake up guy. Metal rusts(unless its H1).
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Aside from the comments and ranting, the most disturbing part of that whole thread is the number of Moderators jumping on the band wagon. Maybe I don't understand the dynamic on THR, but to me a Mod is generally a fairly impartial entity though not without opinion. Just seemed odd to me considering I have been a member of nearly 10 forums in the last 8 years.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

nice example of "taking the high road". leaves more spydies for me!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dgebler wrote:nice example of "taking the high road". leaves more spydies for me!
The irony was so thick you couldn't cut it with a Spydie. It wasn't lost on my either
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Even if you could buy the screw falling out in transit the stripping it down to lubricate it with paraffin wax is very odd. That and I've never had a folder "suffer from corrosion" as it's a user-caused issue. Plus low carbon SS liners tend to not rust, it's one of their only jobs.

Anything is possible! However, my dozens of Spydies are awesome and don't have ludicrous problems so I'll go with my own review. You don't have to go very far to find Spyderco praise. If everyone had lemons, rants like his would be at every corner of the internet and shouted from every train station soap box.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

It seems that he is at the point that nothing will satisfy him, by the way he is responding to anyone that isn't completely in agreement with him. I'm with Xceptnl about the way the Mods are jumping in with him but the OP is a Mod as well, so there is that. Sadly, because he is a mod on that forum, there are going to be tons of members over there that take his word as gospel.

I find it curious that he obviously disassembles all his knives but doesn't want to accept the chance that he may have caused any of his "issues"? Some folks just leave ya scratching your head? My brain hurts now.
:spyder:
Dan
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

Wonder if he stumbled onto a fake some how? Or he is off his meds?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

A little too much drama for me, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. He strikes me as a fan so I'm sure it'll get worked out.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Used to lurk that forum years ago... That guy has already made his mind up, even if Spyderco went out of their way to fix all of his complaints it wouldn't matter.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Yup he sounds like he will never be satisfied. He does sound like the type of person that thinks he knows everything and is never wrong. It was funny when he said there is no such thing as a "standard" model and more than one person points out that there is, he sarcastically states that he doesn't keep up with every model ever made. And the irony of the forum name.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

He said the Chaparral had bead blasted handles...... Mine has surface ground finished handles.... Does he even have a chaparral?
Invective

Post by Invective »

Blerv wrote:Even if you could buy the screw falling out in transit the stripping it down to lubricate it with paraffin wax is very odd. That and I've never had a folder "suffer from corrosion" as it's a user-caused issue. Plus low carbon SS liners tend to not rust, it's one of their only jobs.
I actually experienced rust on the liners, lockbar and screws of my Jester once. But it was no problem as Spyderco fixed it up for me, and returned it with my $5 still in the box.

This guy just seems like has an axe to grind.
JBE

Post by JBE »

There's probably much more to his "story" than what he posted.
Jason
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I wasted 2 minutes of my life on that thread. I was gonna waste more time and register and post but than I realized.... You can't tell that guy anything. I'll go talk to the wall now
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BadFish wrote:I wasted 2 minutes of my life on that thread. I was gonna waste more time and register and post but than I realized.... You can't tell that guy anything. I'll go talk to the wall now
"... And knowing is half the battle"
*Landon*
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Hello Spyderco forum. I am the same ugaarguy, moderator on The High Road, who started the thread that was linked here. One of your other members joined THR and left me a very nice reply there. His reply is what alerted me to this thread. My next to last reply in that thread (as of typing this reply) was:

"At this point I'm going to try not to post again until I get a phone call or email from Eric at Spyderco. My frustration with these problems and the response from Spyderco's front line customer service has shown through too much here. My apologies."

That was an apology to the members there because I realized the issue was clouding my own judgement.

As for the thread over at THR, everything I posted there is true. Yes, I actually do own a Chaparral. Eric Glesser even taught me how to correctly pronounce Chaparral when I called. :) Further, here's a link to my glowing review (at the time) of the Chaparral on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFICaNdV9E4. I took pictures of the corrosion on the Chaparral and Cat liners that I'll be happy to post here or on THR if anyone would like to see them. After looking at the pictures again I noticed that the only the Cat's liners have the matte / bead blast finish. The Chaparral's liners are polished on the edges, but left as machined with the tool marks on the flats. This is in contrast to the highly polished liners on both my PM2 and my Superleaf, and the equally well polished liners / sub-frame of my BM Griptilians. My issue with the corrosion is not that I had to lubricate the liners, but that Spyderco's warranty (as I understand it) is voided if I disassemble the knife. Also, the Chaparral corrosion was between the liners and the carbon fiber scales. Paraffin wax may seem odd but it actually works quite well as dry petroleum based lubricant / corrosion resistant coating that stays put. I use Eezox to protect my guns from corrosion because I'm a bit portly, and I do sweat a fair amount in the warmer months (all 11 of them) here in Georgia. The great contrast for me, coming from the gun world, is that knife manufacturers seem very resistant to anyone disassembling and servicing a folder themselves, while gun makers tell you in the manual how to take the firearm apart (at least to a field stripped level) to clean it and lube it. My military background is USAF communications - electronics maintenance, but that included field level mechanical and electro-mechanical maintenance. So, I'm actually rather familiar with doing maintenance on precision devices.

As for my future with buying anymore Spyderco knives, there's at least one I'm going to buy. That knife is the Shirley-Owens designed ARK neck knife that's supposed to go into production this year. Co-designer John Shirley is a fellow THR mod, and personal friend. However, I'm optimistic that I'll actually be buying more Spydercos than that. As I noted in the thread over on THR I actually did talk to Eric Glesser. He was great to speak with, and seemed to understand that I truly am having issues with some of his products. I have little doubt that he will contact me in the near future to discuss the problems I've had. I also made it clear to Eric that I do not want anything from Spyderco other than for them to fix these issues. This is because I'd already fixed the Cat and Chaparral issues, and voided the warranty in the process. Spyderco did fix my PM2 after I fought for it. I've declined their offer of immediate shipment of replacement clip Screws for the Native 5 because I want to give Eric and other responsible parties to look into the issue, determine the cause, and implement a solution. I certainly hope there is a Solution rather the stars being aligned against any Spyderco I buy, as Jackknifeh suggested over on THR.

As for my level of frustration, I know being a Spyderco fan has had a catalyst like effect in multiplying that frustration. I want Spyderco to be the Nissan 370Z of knives, and not the Alfa-Romeo of knives, if that makes sense. Yes, I am a Spyderco fan, but just a frustrated one at the moment. I hope I'm honestly able to edit the title of my Spyderco Warning thread on THR to a title reflecting a story of issues resolved. After talking to Eric I'm hopeful that will be the case.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Holland

Post by Holland »

dgebler wrote:nice example of "taking the high road". leaves more spydies for me!
rofl!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE