Spyderco Forum Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Spyderco Forum Exclusive

Post by Strong-Dog »

This may be a bad idea, or crazy, or not possible at all, but what if us at the Spyderco forum could pool together enough money to commission Spyderco to make our own exclusive? I'm not talking about a forum native or something like that, i'm talking about in the same way dealers commission exclusives. We could vote on the materials and knife and come together to make it happen for us. Is this possible, or can I only dream?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Once we voted on what we wanted and determined the cost, since we are spyderco's forum maybe they could have something on their website we could "buy", but really the funds just go into an account that holds them. If we then had enough to commission the run, whoever put in the funds for the knife would get one.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Strong-Dog wrote:Once we voted on what we wanted and determined the cost, since we are spyderco's forum maybe they could have something on their website we could "buy", but really the funds just go into an account that holds them. If we then had enough to commission the run, whoever put in the funds for the knife would get one.
Good luck with a consensus on that. :D

Also you're talking around 30K...
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

You might be able to find a dealer to make this happen for you, but it'd cost a small fortune and the bickering would never end.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I wouldn't call it impossible, given that Spyderco has made exclusives for groups before. OTOH, while I may be jaded from being here too long and seeing how impossible it has been in the past to get a consensus on anything, I can't see it happening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Good luck with a consensus on that. :D

Also you're talking around 30K...
The thing is, we aren't a dealer, so we would be getting them for wholesale. I haven't done the math, but don't you guys think that we could agree on something like an M4 para for a really cheap price? Also, do you know how many knives 30k gets?

-Henry Hill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Could we fund this through a kickstarter? I like the idea. The problem would be a vote that some may or may not please the majority and then they never contribute to the fund because they have no interest in whatever was chosen. Seems like it would take someone spearheading it and a lot of time / dedication to bring it all together.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

xceptnl wrote:Could we fund this through a kickstarter? I like the idea. The problem would be a vote that some may or may not please the majority and then they never contribute to the fund because they have no interest in whatever was chosen. Seems like it would take someone spearheading it and a lot of time / dedication to bring it all together.
As long as its a popular model like a para 2 or manix 2, who wouldn't be interested in one of those models with an exotic steel or something of the sort for a good price. Even if we have to compromise on things, in the end who could resist something like that?

-Henry Hill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Strong-Dog wrote:As long as its a popular model like a para 2 or manix 2, who wouldn't be interested in one of those models with an exotic steel or something of the sort for a good price. Even if we have to compromise on things, in the end who could resist something like that?
The level of compromise could be a make or break for some and not so much for others. I would be more than willing to support the project even if it varied from my personal choices (handle color, material, blade steel, etc.)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Traditional sub-forum over on Bladeforums has done a forum knife that way for several years. What I didn't know was that one member was putting up all the money up front to allow it to go though the forum. The last two years, the forum owner has handled the money collection, ordering and shipping or it wouldn't have happened at all. If it is going to happen here, it has to go through the forum administration, and I would expect them to require someone to put up the whole amount of the order up front. After all, they are the ones that will catch the lawsuit if the person spearheading the effort takes the money and runs instead of going through with the deal. Sure, we'd like to think no one here would do that, but I've seen that sort of thing happen before.

As others have said, good luck getting a consensus. You mention "a popular model like a para 2 or manix 2" which just happen to be two models I have zero interest in, and "forum exclusive" certainly wouldn't be enough to sell me on either. You just can't please everyone.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Have you guys been reading the latest threads around here? Someone asks an opinion on a sprint or something like that, and you get everything from

"I just want orange G10"

to

"how about CPM REX 121 with double stone washed Ti bolsters, mammoth ivory scales with platinum bug inlays and neon yellow G10 liners with a sunburst machined Ti frame lock with 6 way wire clip, oh and how about a compound grind hollow/flat on one side with chisel side on the other, partially serrated tanto tip with a wave hook flipper automatic assisted opening bali".

Some people would vote up something realistic and doable, while some people just seem to swing for the fences and dream. If something like this were to happen, it would take Spyderco themselves setting the ground rules, like saying "it's going to be a choice between these 3 knife models, these steels, these handle options, etc" and we get to mix and match and vote on the final product.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:I wouldn't call it impossible, given that Spyderco has made exclusives for groups before. OTOH, while I may be jaded from being here too long and seeing how impossible it has been in the past to get a consensus on anything, I can't see it happening.
Strong-Dog wrote:As long as its a popular model like a para 2 or manix 2, who wouldn't be interested in one of those models with an exotic steel or something of the sort for a good price. Even if we have to compromise on things, in the end who could resist something like that?
I think you are right about that - if someone were to just pick something like a Paramilitary 2 in CPM-M4, I would guess this would be picked up pretty quickly.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:The level of compromise could be a make or break for some and not so much for others. I would be more than willing to support the project even if it varied from my personal choices (handle color, material, blade steel, etc.)
Exactly. Think of the EDC forum knives - I wouldn't have thought those were going to be runaway successes, but the Manix 2 version went to two full orders. Just because consensus is impossible (true) doesn't mean a reasonably attractive choice wouldn't succeed nicely.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Seems like what you're asking for is essentially the same as the yearly forum knife. I've never been able to get one so I don't know if it's voted on or if Sal just offers a model up he decides people will like...but it's certainly offered below retail price in an exotic steel.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

yablanowitz wrote:The Traditional sub-forum over on Bladeforums has done a forum knife that way for several years. What I didn't know was that one member was putting up all the money up front to allow it to go though the forum. The last two years, the forum owner has handled the money collection, ordering and shipping or it wouldn't have happened at all. If it is going to happen here, it has to go through the forum administration, and I would expect them to require someone to put up the whole amount of the order up front. After all, they are the ones that will catch the lawsuit if the person spearheading the effort takes the money and runs instead of going through with the deal. Sure, we'd like to think no one here would do that, but I've seen that sort of thing happen before.

As others have said, good luck getting a consensus. You mention "a popular model like a para 2 or manix 2" which just happen to be two models I have zero interest in, and "forum exclusive" certainly wouldn't be enough to sell me on either. You just can't please everyone.
All I'm saying is, lets say we solve the issues of money and ordering and someone from the forum spearheading this and the only issue is deciding what it would be, even if someone has little interest in the model (lets say it was a CPM-M4 para 2), couldn't they compromise to get something like that for a good price? If we voted the majority would decide anyways, and sticking with the M4 para example, wouldn't there be enough people to do that even if no one could compromise at all?

-Henry Hill
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Speaking of the forum knife when do we start getting information on that? Is release topically summertime?
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A consensus would be difficult to say the least. Plus, not to sound lazy but it seems the Spydie Crew frequently listens to the forum. Super Hawk, Ladybug Hawk, Sprint returns, Super Blue sprints...and so many more. They more or less act like a boutique idea factory without asking for money.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

IMHO...The only way it would work is for ONE person or organisation to fund the project, assuming that the model is one chose by as many people as possible...no variances, no options...just the one model and material type, be it steel, grind, scales or lock...

Then, the knife would be offered up for sale, and hopefully enough people buy to make it feasible from a profit margin point of view...

Assuming that Spyderco did such a small run, I would be keen to borrow enough money to do 500 flat grind VG10 PE Enduras with white FRN handles...but the prospect of Tammy Wynette whispering in my ear the words...d...i...v...o...r...c..e came to mind... :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:Have you guys been reading the latest threads around here? Someone asks an opinion on a sprint or something like that, and you get everything from

"I just want orange G10"

to

"how about CPM REX 121 with double stone washed Ti bolsters, mammoth ivory scales with platinum bug inlays and neon yellow G10 liners with a sunburst machined Ti frame lock with 6 way wire clip, oh and how about a compound grind hollow/flat on one side with chisel side on the other, partially serrated tanto tip with a wave hook flipper automatic assisted opening bali".

Some people would vote up something realistic and doable, while some people just seem to swing for the fences and dream. If something like this were to happen, it would take Spyderco themselves setting the ground rules, like saying "it's going to be a choice between these 3 knife models, these steels, these handle options, etc" and we get to mix and match and vote on the final product.
hahahaha very well put! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I would buy one.

How far out is production on a Para 2? 1-2 years? Better get money in now so they can build it in 2017 (exagerating of course.)