Does anyone regret the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

I have no regrets with the Sharpmaker. I usually don't let my knives get very dull, so a touch up is all that is usually required.

Tom
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sbaker345 wrote:Ive been going back and forth between the sharpmaker and the ken onion worksharp for a long time, I am too broke to buy both currently, I have a few fixed blades, and 1 folder and obviously need more folders, I have heard there may be an edge temper issue with the worksharp, not that big of a deal to me for my choppers, or machetes, but I don't know if that combined with the extra metal removal sounds very appealing for folders plus I would feel like I am cheating.

So has anyone here just been unable to get the sharpmaker to work properly or gotten unsatisfactory sharpness? Or for that matter been unable to reprofile a blade after 5 hours of grinding with the diamond stones? I won't be attempting to use my BK-9 on it but I have a bench made folder that the angle might be a little off

The folder I am thinking of getting to go along with it is the manix 2, seems like a good carry knife that would put up with being used commonly but not chopped with.
The Sharpmaker is one of the best tools I ever bought, and has a great bang:buck ratio as well. Like any tool, you have to learn to use it properly, but if you do it will do a great deal. It's not an EdgePro, but it doesn't cost what an EdgePro costs and you could stick it into the back pocket of your jeans (as long as you don't need to sit down...) ;)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

sal wrote:We are experimebnting with a new abrasive for the sharpmaker. At least as coarse as Diamond, perhaps more so.
Sign me up, I'll order a set as soon as they hit the shelves :) .

I would *really* like to see an accessory plastic base with the holes at different angles. The standard model has settings for 40 and 30 degrees, it would be great to have an option for say 35 and 25 degrees as well.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
wmcilvain

Post by wmcilvain »

My only regret with the sharp maker is that as soon as I got it, I started having small missing patches of hair on my arm… :confused:
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

All this talk of the SM made me get mine out tonight and touch up all of our kitchen knives. The SM did a great job. I can shave arm hair with each blade. I do get some uneven spots still from my hands shaking through the motion, but even still, I am glad to have a SM