Another fake/replica Military story

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Parhelion

Another fake/replica Military story

Post by Parhelion »

Tomorrow some guy on the Ukrainian knife forum made a thread and try sell Chinese Military replicas for about 25 usd. Also he described them not as fake but as "OEM licensed" and include two links one to the Spyderco official website Military page, other to the unboxing video of original knife.

I reply with no offense but mention that he should honestly explain to buyers what they really get. A chinese replica with unknown steel and not directly related to the original knife. Also i wrote that links to the original knife may confuse buyers.

Few guys was agree with me, especially they note that "OEM licensed" is a great joke. But topic starter was kind of angry. He asks who do i think i am? A Spyderco representative or what? If not then he will not explain anything to me. Also he refuse to fix his description.

I start to write my answer to calm he down and explain that all i want that he should be honest with his buyers. But when i try to post my reply, seems like his thread was deleted by moderators.

So i don`t know if i have to be glad (cause of closed thread) or sad (because of so many replicas everywhere and their growing quality)
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Licensed my butt. Spyderco doesn't licence fakes. I've seen these for $15 on eBay. Although the few sellers with them are honest enough to list them as "Chinese replicas".
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Just tell the guy that he's a thief. Selling fakes is stealing, period.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Parhelion,

Thanx much for fighting the fakes. They are increasing.

sal
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Fakes make me sick, but they will always be around in every market. There can not be ANYTHING more annoying/disheartening then having people, buy what they think is a genuine item, have it break, and then develop an opinion on that company (in this case Spyderco) that is completely false, because they NEVER had the real thing in the first place. All you can do is try to educate buyers the best you can. Put the fake sellers on BLAST, and spread the word that they are phony. A shame.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Parhelion you were right! Thank you for standing up for Spyderco, for Sal and all the Spyderco family, and thank you for doing what is right! These people who make the fakes are violating basic ethics and it is absolutely disgusting. People should buy a real Spyderco. Someone once told me "Real Spyderco knives are too expensive." I said "Why not save the money up that you would waste on a lesser-quality knife, and then buy a real Spyderco knife?"
setldown

Post by setldown »

Spasiba Parhelion for joining the fight.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

To me the sad part is that Spyderco has a wide range of products at all price points. There is a Spyderco knife out there for everyone, and the great Byrd line as well. No need to buy an unknown quality fake.
Holland

Post by Holland »

This getting truly pathetic...
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

If chinese companies will mark their fakes with their own chinese logos it will be acceptable less or more. Or at least it will be honest robbery. As far as i know China do not really bother about intellectual property laws. Personally i would not buy fakes anyway, but somebody will. Also Tenacious is cheapest and one of the favorite in my collection. I think value folders line is great option for low price range.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Just enforces the need to support your favorite authorized Spyderco dealer.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

for my brothers Birthday i bought him a byrd meadowlark. And for the 27 euro's i paid for it. I was amazed that for that price spyderco can give such quality!!!
Now here in europe we dont see many fake spyderco's around (a relief) but its a nightmare waiting to happen i guess... it's so sad that there isnt any honor in those country's in Asia (and its always the same few country's). If they smell a buck they sell there soul. :(
SpyderEdgeForever

Yes that was a good buy on your part, apollo. The Byrd knives are good for the lower price range but still have great Spyderco quality. The Byrd Cara Cara and the Byrd Rescue are two superb knives, in my honest opinion. I am sure the Hawkbill and others are great, too.
Revival

Post by Revival »

+1 for the OP for standing up against this seller. It truely is sad. I don't know how they get away with it. People don't have a conscience these days.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Good for you! Thank you for fighting the good fight, we are behind you! Send us this jerks email address and we will all be happy to share our "feelings" with him about this disgusting practice.

Sal, since they are claiming "OEM", can you now hammer on them legally in any way? I know it's a long shot but might be worth a try to scare some sense into these f-ers. This stuff really ticks me off...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Ochen priyatno Parhelion, and good work standing for integrity.

Man, those fakes sure grind my gears.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

sal wrote:Hi Parhelion,

Thanx much for fighting the fakes. They are increasing.

sal
Its a losing battle it seems, but we'll be there to fight the good fight.

The fakes, at this point, can be quite convincing in pictures but in person thankfully they're still reasonably easy to spot IF you're used to genuine spyder.
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Good for you! Thank you for fighting the good fight, we are behind you! Send us this jerks email address and we will all be happy to share our "feelings" with him about this disgusting practice.

Sal, since they are claiming "OEM", can you now hammer on them legally in any way? I know it's a long shot but might be worth a try to scare some sense into these f-ers. This stuff really ticks me off...
His thread and account is deleted. And i don`t think owner of the forum will give his email. Also i think it is useless, just anonymous guy with fake email created for registration purposes.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Sal, since they are claiming "OEM", can you now hammer on them legally in any way? I know it's a long shot but might be worth a try to scare some sense into these f-ers. This stuff really ticks me off...
Since these fakes are mostly Made in China the only ones that could do anything about this problem would be the Chinese authorities and good luck with that..
SpyderEdgeForever

Can someone here explain to me why the Chinese authorities themselves do not do a bigger and more potent job of going after these fakes and counterfeits? The way I look at it: This is bad public relations for them because it hurts their reputation; it shows that they do not care enough about cheapo products being produced and rip-offs happening. Or do they not care because they know they will be making money off of the fakes anyway?

PS: I do not mean to have this turn into a political discussion, it just makes me sick inside that they do not do more to protect good companies like Spyderco from the flood of counterfeits.