Does anyone regret the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

Does anyone regret the sharpmaker?

Post by sbaker345 »

Ive been going back and forth between the sharpmaker and the ken onion worksharp for a long time, I am too broke to buy both currently, I have a few fixed blades, and 1 folder and obviously need more folders, I have heard there may be an edge temper issue with the worksharp, not that big of a deal to me for my choppers, or machetes, but I don't know if that combined with the extra metal removal sounds very appealing for folders plus I would feel like I am cheating.

So has anyone here just been unable to get the sharpmaker to work properly or gotten unsatisfactory sharpness? Or for that matter been unable to reprofile a blade after 5 hours of grinding with the diamond stones? I won't be attempting to use my BK-9 on it but I have a bench made folder that the angle might be a little off

The folder I am thinking of getting to go along with it is the manix 2, seems like a good carry knife that would put up with being used commonly but not chopped with.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

No regrets here on the SharpMaker. It works well for my purposes. I added an Edge Pro later but haven't had much practice with that yet.
I do think the diamond stones are a big help for the SharpMaker, and with they also offered diamonds in a more coarse grit.

I've heard some people saying some good things about the Ken Onion Worksharp, I'm just hesitant to allow any sort of power tool near my good knives. I can see how it could save a lot of time if you need to do some serious reprofiling or repair of an edge.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

rodloos wrote:No regrets here on the SharpMaker. It works well for my purposes. I added an Edge Pro later but haven't had much practice with that yet.
I do think the diamond stones are a big help for the SharpMaker, and with they also offered diamonds in a more coarse grit.

I've heard some people saying some good things about the Ken Onion Worksharp, I'm just hesitant to allow any sort of power tool near my good knives. I can see how it could save a lot of time if you need to do some serious reprofiling or repair of an edge.

Thats my debate, my BK-9 is not going to suffer from some edge removal, on the otherhand I don't want to grind away a pocket knife blade, nor possibly cause poorer edge retention, I mean we spend more money for steel that will stay sharper longer.
Johnny88

Post by Johnny88 »

Just bought one and really happy with the results. Going to buy a couple of add on ultra fine rods for the kit. I don't need to win an sharpening contests and don't have the time to sit for hrs on end sharpening. With saying that it services my EDC just fine, and compact to boot. I should add that I mostly sharpen S30V & VG10 Spyderco
Cheers
cckw

Post by cckw »

no temper issue with the Ken Onion work sharp, it is variable speed and will go quite slow. I would take the KO worksharp over the sharpmaker in a heartbeat. I have had a sharpmaker for a long time, and have used the KO worksharp ( I have seen a demo but not used the regular work sharp, not so impressed with the regular) The extra $ spent on the KO is a much better deal then the regular worksharp, due to variable speed, 5 grits vs 3, wider belts, adjustable angle vs fixed 40. I think sharpmaker is a great system, but in your case do recommend KO worksharp.
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

I'm very happy with my Sharpmaker. The diamond rods do really help a lot, even if you aren't removing a lot of material, they're great to just "reset" the edge and clean everything up nicely. I don't know much about the Ken Onion Worksharp, a shop in town has one in a display shelf but I already had the Sharpmaker so I wasn't very interested. I enjoy using the Sharpmaker, you kind of get into a rhythm and end up with a really nice edge.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Get the Worksharp.

I own both, and the Sharpmaker is basically relegated to "if the power goes out" status. Unless you're an obsessive and skillful sharpener (in which case you're probably going to use bench stones anyway), the Worksharp really is the fastest, easiest, simplest sharpening solution on the market.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I'm pretty much a sharpening idiot, tried bench stones... Think after a week I managed to make a cheap knife cut marginally better,

KO probably does make more sense as I own more fixed blades,

How is the edge mainrance handled on pocket knives?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

TomAiello wrote:Get the Worksharp.

I own both, and the Sharpmaker is basically relegated to "if the power goes out" status. Unless you're an obsessive and skillful sharpener (in which case you're probably going to use bench stones anyway), the Worksharp really is the fastest, easiest, simplest sharpening solution on the market.
I wouldn't argue it's not fast (conceptually...I don't own one) but it also seems a great way to hog off a ton of steel and stress the edge.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I love my sharpmaker. I was able to get great results on it after a bit of practice. I recently picked up the edge pro and I'm getting insane results. I'm very happy with it but I don't think I would be getting the results that I am if I skipped learning on the sharpmaker.

The SM still gets used by the way. It's great for touching up a knife quickly without a lot of set up. Get both if you can, but work your way up.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Unlike most systems, the Sharpmaker does a good job on serrations, provided they are large enough for the rod corners to enter. I use my Sharpmaker for routine maintenance on folders and kitchen sharps.
Revival

Post by Revival »

I have no experience with the Worksharp but I would not recommend the Sharpmaker based on the knives that you have. You have mostly fixed blades, including machetes which sounds like are heavy users. I personally would have probelms with consistency with blades of that size on a sharpmaker. Reprofiling would proably take you forever. The Sharpmaker is a great system but just doesnt suit your needs IMO.
Holland

Post by Holland »

The sharpmaker is a very user friendly system and will provide amazing results if u put the time in to learn how to use it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

IMO the SM is really great for light touch-ups and finishing, and serrations.

IMO the SM not great for reprofiling, even with the diamond stones. But its possible.

I use it for what its great at, and do not regret the purchase at all. It forms a part of my bigger sharpening plan.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Does anyone regret the sharpmaker? "
No, for the price everyone here should have one. :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

The sharpmaker is one of the best products that Spyderco sells. It's fairly cheap, it's very light and portable and it is super easy to use to put an edge on something. It's not the best for re-profiling a knife, but it works decently with the diamond rods.

Don't regret it for a single second. If I lost it, I would buy another the next day.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Never been and fan of power sharpeners. They will grind off more metal then what you need to. I've never owned a sharpmaker but wish I had one. I convex all my knives using sandpaper on top of a mouse pad but would like a sharpmaker for my kitchen knives.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Syncharmony wrote:The sharpmaker is one of the best products that Spyderco sells. It's fairly cheap, it's very light and portable and it is super easy to use to put an edge on something. It's not the best for re-profiling a knife, but it works decently with the diamond rods.

Don't regret it for a single second. If I lost it, I would buy another the next day.
Co sign this.
Shecki

Post by Shecki »

I'm fairly new to sharpening to be honest, but I get better results freehand than I do with the sharp maker. Easier to control (IMO) and I can get a much nicer bevel with my diasharps than the SM. I really only use the UF rods on the sharpmaker for touch up and if my edge needs anything more than that....I go back to the diasharps if I need to.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Shecki wrote:]I'm fairly new to sharpening to be honest, but I get better results freehand than I do with the sharp maker.[/B] Easier to control (IMO) and I can get a much nicer bevel with my diasharps than the SM. I really only use the UF rods on the sharpmaker for touch up and if my edge needs anything more than that....I go back to the diasharps if I need to.
That's pretty amazing actually...good for you lol.