Need help deciding

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mdsmith

Need help deciding

Post by mdsmith »

Hey guys, I'm torn between getting a carbon fiber Chaparral and a Delica super blue. Which would you guys go with?
--Matt--
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Are you getting it for edc and general use? I love the delica for a user because you don't feel bad about doing whatever needs done with it. The super-blue steel is amazing too. If you do get the chaparral, know that you can probably still get one in either s30v or cts-xhp, whatever your preference. For edc I say super-blue though
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Yeah, it's just for general use. I've gotten into smaller sized knives lately, and wanted something besides my Benchmade Sequel. I was also looking at the carbon fiber Caly 3.
--Matt--
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I have a regular Delica and a Chaparral. I think of the Chaparral as more of a "dress" knife. When you need to carry a knife that doesn't scare people. The Delica is more of a "user" to me.

You could get both. Just in case.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Grab the SB Delica. SB is awesome, and the Chaparral is readily available.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

nccole wrote:Grab the SB Delica. SB is awesome, and the Chaparral is readily available.
This is my suggestion
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Two different knives ... I would suggest the titanium Chaparral over the carbon fiber one due to the blade steel of CTS-XHP over the s30v. Much less chippage from the Carpenter powder steel than the s30v IMHO. Both the Delica Super Blue and the Ti Chaparral are great knives!
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

If you work in a office setting or similar, the Chapparal would be the one to go with. Otherwise the Delica is a great all around knife. The Chapparal is more of a gentlemens folder but it is a great knife in its own accord.

It just depends on your situation and what your usage of the knife will be.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Chaparral that I bought was a little rough. The blade polish was not well done and the edges of the knife, all over, were very sharp. It is pretty nice, now, but I had to do the work to bring it up to snuff.
The Delica is bigger and does not disappear like the Chap does. But the blade is a lot thicker, too. I lean towards the Delica Super Blue but I would look before I leapt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would buy the delica right now, as it's bound to start getting more expensive as supply decreases. Then I would save up my pennies and buy a chaparral later
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

mdsmith wrote:Yeah, it's just for general use. I've gotten into smaller sized knives lately, and wanted something besides my Benchmade Sequel. I was also looking at the carbon fiber Caly 3.
If you like the Delica and it fits your hand but you want an upscale knife get the Caly3 CF. If your looking for primarily a beater, choose the Delica! That's my .02 cents! ;)