Southard edges

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
peter469

Southard edges

Post by peter469 »

I have different angles on my Southards and am still deciding which I prefer. Certainly, the thin one cuts much better but it sacrifices strength and with the thick blade stock it feels a little bit like trying to make an apple out of an orange.

What are your thoughts on the Southard blade and edge?

78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

You've got some beautiful edges there, whats the DPS on each of them? The angles on mine are between the 2 you've got and edge stability seems fine cuts great also.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

steeper edges work pretty well on 204p and are strong enough for pretty hard use
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have mine at 30 inclusive and like it so far.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very nice edges! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

Received my Southard a few days ago.
Put a 37 degree inclusive on with an Edgepro.
Usually I don't notice cutting performance improvement at 1000+ grit, but in this case it's very noticeable.
1000 was cutting paper well but with some resistance.
2000 started popping hair.
3000 shaves the arm with ease and cuts thicker paper like butter. Able to make wave cuts easily.

I wasn't sure what angle I'd get since I had to lay the blade flat on it's side due to the geometry. Laying the blade flat subtracted 5.5 degrees per side from the Edgepro setting. Set at 24 degrees per side, wound up with 18.5.

At first I was disappointed for not using a sharper angle, but it's cutting amazing at 37 so I'm no longer regretting spending 8 hours polishing the edge.

Will the 18.5 degree edge hold much better than 15?

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There is a pretty significant improvement between 40 and 30 degrees, but unless you've played around with enough of both you may not notice the difference. If you're happy that's all that matters.

As for the Southard on the EP, it is possible to sharpen the knife with the blade laying on the flat sides instead of laying the grind flat on the table, but you have to hold the knife very tightly and use gentile strokes so you don't throw the edge center line out of 90. Mine is polished up to 16k in these pics and was done so this way. It's probably easier to lay it flat on the side, but I prefer keeping the edge at 90.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David