Most Durable Spyderco Folder in Production

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Most Durable Spyderco Folder in Production

Post by this_is_nascar »

The title says it all. What's the most durable, able to take the most abuse, strong-assed Spyderco folder that's currently in production?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I would say any of the manix series due to the ball-bearing lock, but with the addition of the Tatanka I would probly go with that because the power-lock is so strong. The Tuff is an easy pick due to the 3V and marketing, but I don't trust a frame-lock's ability to take abuse, especially with a steel-insert. I lightly spine-whacked mine (I know, not a good idea) and it easily failed. Just my two cents.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Manix 2 is my newbie guess.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't know but they're almost all tough enough for me. I just cut with my folders.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Strong-Dog wrote:I would say any of the manix series due to the ball-bearing lock, but with the addition of the Tatanka I would probly go with that because the power-lock is so strong. The Tuff is an easy pick due to the 3V and marketing, but I don't trust a frame-lock's ability to take abuse, especially with a steel-insert. I lightly spine-whacked mine (I know, not a good idea) and it easily failed. Just my two cents.
my old tuff did that. my replacement tuff is easier to open and stronger by a long shot.

I am carrying my tuff now and have really beaten on it and love it
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 (not lightweight).

I've abused the heck out of this thing and it just keeps taking it and asking for more.

edit to add: I have to admit I've never had a Tuff, so I can't comment much on the knife, but I have a 3V fixed blade and I'd imagine the Tuff has got to be a really sturdy blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would have to say my #1 pick is a knife that is under appreciated and likely never sees the kind of abuse it's capable of taking, but still IMO will stand up with the best of them, and that's the Vallotton Sub-Hilt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Endura, there are 20 year old specimens still kicking *** to this day
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

I thought I would see some say the Gayle Bradley. I haven't abused mine yet, but My Endura and Delica have taken a bunch of lickings and they keep on ticking! :)
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

What use of a knife does spine-whacking replicate?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would assume Tuff and an honorable mention to the Bradley Folder and Vallotton.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

razorsharp wrote:my old tuff did that. my replacement tuff is easier to open and stronger by a long shot.

I am carrying my tuff now and have really beaten on it and love it
If Travis can't break it...... then it is the most durable Spyderco in history! ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No direct knowledge, but my guess would be the Techno. 4.5mm blade would be hard to break, even in a large knife, and the Techno's small size limits the amount of leverage you can apply to it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The thick blade on the Techno also gives lots of room for lock wear (mine isn't showing any, but still) :D

Under some conditions a Salt might me the most durable one. I happily abuse mine with no issues except scratches and dents. Don't rust when you forget them in a kayak for 2 months either :o
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Spyderco Tuff
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

FarmerTed wrote:What use of a knife does spine-whacking replicate?
The only thing I can think of is batoning with the knife, which is already a bad idea with a folding knife in the first place. Spine whacking a frame lock also eliminates part of what gives a frame lock strength which is your hand applying pressure to the lock.

Reminds me of a thread I read not long ago where someone was complaining about the lock strength of a Sage 2 because when they threw it into a log, the lock would disengage. :rolleyes:
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Holland

Post by Holland »

Tuff based on reviews and such, gayle bradley by a landslide based on personal experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

this_is_nascar wrote:The title says it all. What's the most durable, able to take the most abuse, strong-assed Spyderco folder that's currently in production?
This is an area where I'd look at stuff that isn't in the Spyderco catalog. There are plenty of folders out there that have 0.25" thick blades and way overbuilt handles. The tradeoff is in cutting ability, weight, and bulk. And the better ones are darned expensive. I'll bet for the same money, bulk, and weight, that you could get a lightweight folder for detail work and a Bushcraft for beating on and end up with a far better solution in every situation likely to come up. Unless you're trying to impress someone with the size of your tool ... ;)

Gordon
M80

Post by M80 »

bug
Donut

Post by Donut »

FarmerTed wrote:What use of a knife does spine-whacking replicate?
I think it accurately replicates use from a person who doesn't know what should be and what shouldn't be done with a knife. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!