Who Really Uses Their Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Who Really Uses Their Sage?

Post by this_is_nascar »

I know there's a bunch of owners of the Sage series, but because they look like a work of art, I'm curious as to how many of you actually carry and use their Sage's.

These things are so beautiful, that I wonder if anyone is actually using it.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I carry and use my Sage I. It mostly cuts up food and occasionally opens boxes. Sometimes a little cutting of rope. I don't really cut much outside of those items, so it certainly hasn't had a hard-use life, but I'm sure I'd be willing to use it much harder and that it would be capable of taking a lot more than I throw at it. I really like the materials and the CF holds up extremely well, as it still looks like new even after tons of pocket carry. The clip has a couple small scratches and nicks, but nothing too bad.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I use mine too. It's in my carry rotation (along with many many others). But it mainly sees opening mail and packages, and cutting up cardboard boxes. It sure is holding up nicely. It's been in the rotation for almost four years, and could still pass for new.
:bug-red-white
mil

Post by mil »

stopped carrying mine in favor of my endura/military

i found it was too chunky and heavy for its size
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I carry and use my Sage4 all the time unless I'm carrying my GB instead. They fill teh same role. Right now though I have both on me. GB in pouch and Sage4 in pocket. I don't think mine counts though for the purpose of this thread because I've gutted and modded the knife so it doesn't look anything like a Sage4. Blade and bolsters are stone washed and I've made a bunch of scales for it. I don't use a clip or even have clip grooves. Right now it has some black C-TEK scales. I used to have a Sage1 and carried it a lot but would not treat it like I do my Sage4. When I bought the Sage4 in my mind I was buying a larger gent's folder. But I snagged the clip on something and instead of the wire clip bending it pivoted under the screw head. This cracked the AZ ironwood. I tried to glue it but I couldn't get it to hold up to using the clip. That started me making scales for it and at some point I decided to stonewash all the metal in it. I have to say I love the knife more now because I can USE it and not worry about it. If I screw up the scales I'll make new ones. Scratches on the blade or bolsters don't matter to me. Well, not much anyway.

Jack
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have Sages1-4 and carried my Sage2 exclusively for over a year. But as much as I love this Spydie family, I found myself wanting to experience steels other than the very capable S30V. My current EDC regime can put M4, VG10, ZDP189, S30VN, M390, 204P, or S90V (and soon S110V or Super Blue) in my pocket.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

wrdwrght wrote:I have Sages1-4 and carried my Sage2 exclusively for over a year. But as much as I love this Spydie family, I found myself wanting to experience steels other than the very capable S30V. My current EDC regime can put M4, VG10, ZDP189, S30VN, M390, 204P, or S90V (and soon S110V or Super Blue) in my pocket.
Don't you need a CTS-XHP? :) I shouldn't talk though. You have a few I don't have. Very nice selection you have there.

Jack
Holland

Post by Holland »

my little brothers sage 2 has definitely seen better days to say the least ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jackknifeh wrote:Don't you need a CTS-XHP? :) I shouldn't talk though. You have a few I don't have. Very nice selection you have there.
Good eye, Jack. I did neglect to mention the XHP of my Manix2 sprint. I do consider myself quite fortunate to have this selection.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I had a Sage I as my main EDC for a long time. The CF doesn't show much wear and the only change to the blade is a more polished edge.

Mine looked like crap at times, but cleans up well and most of us don't take pictures when the knife is full of grime.. ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I carry the Sage 2 often, its perfect for the office and light / medium duty edc.

Its also very easy to clean - there are no hidden nooks and crannies and its all stainless, so you can rinse and forget.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I don't, but I do have a "mini-Sage" (CF Chaparral) that served as my primary packing material cutter when I was moving and now gets carried when I go into town.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My Sage2 is my dress up knife. I don't dress up much though. It's only been to one funeral.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Holland wrote:Image
This looks great to me Holland...good honest work marring! I love to see Ti scales with use & carry wear. To my eye, it really gives it character.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How's everyone's liner locks holding out for wear on their Sage 1's?
- best wishes, Jazz.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Jazz wrote:How's everyone's liner locks holding out for wear on their Sage 1's?
Mine's done very well after 1.5 years...perhaps moved slightly starting from approx. 35% to around 40% now with extremely smooth actuation and still solid lock-up.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The sage 2 and 4 are both in my EDC rotation. They're great cutters that I carry occasionally, I'm not sure if that constitutes 'really using' the knife. The ti bolster on the Sage 4 gets scratched up quick though.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I bought a sage3 cf but it is my dress knife and I don't dress up much. I've only carried it a few times and I only got it for light duty. I have used it a lot for light duty stuff while carrying it. I personally like the grip on the sage for light duty edc work but not so much for heavy cutting. On a day to day basis my para2 works better for me but when I'm wearing nicer clothes to go out to dinner or something similar the sage3 is sweet. For this reason my sage should stay pretty nice.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love all the Sage's especially the 1 and 2. 1 used to be my edc before the Caly 3.5 kicked it out. Still gets some carry time. A GREAT knife. Prefer the liner lock over the mid back lock. One of my favorite Spyderco's,