A Delica and a boy...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Post by markg »

I looked at some of the LE Delicas and not sure how he would feel about a Damascus blade. I will have to ask him. I am tempted to give him the one I carried when he was born actually and maybe a new one, one of the orange ones. He has the older green handled CE. Got some time to think about it.
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

markg wrote:I looked at some of the LE Delicas and not sure how he would feel about a Damascus blade. I will have to ask him. I am tempted to give him the one I carried when he was born actually and maybe a new one, one of the orange ones. He has the older green handled CE. Got some time to think about it.
I really enjoyed reading your story Mark, and am thankful for your son's commitment to serve. It would be tough to choose a good time to give him the knife that "grew up with him". If not now, then when he retires from service, gets married, or has his own children (to be passed down again).

Are there any regulations as far as what he can carry when he is in the Air Force? I think something that would be useful to him and also something he wouldn't be afraid to use (not a crazy limited sprint run). Then really lay one on him later, when he gets a promotion or something.

Thanks again for a great thread. I look forward to doing something like this for my someday children!
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

markg wrote:I looked at some of the LE Delicas and not sure how he would feel about a Damascus blade. I will have to ask him. I am tempted to give him the one I carried when he was born actually and maybe a new one, one of the orange ones. He has the older green handled CE. Got some time to think about it.
I would wait to give him the one you carried when he was born when he has a child of his own.
jah

Post by jah »

Thanks for posting, tell your son, thanks for serving. Regarding a gift for graduating, I would recommend pushing him towards a 3A, 3C or 3D career choice (Information Mgt, Comm/Computer, Cyber). Tell him to listen to the DI, and you will be there when he graduates.
Thanks again for posting,
Always faithful, never forget
Jerry
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Nice story sir. Thank you. I kind of feel like there is a lot of sentimental value to whatever knife you send him off with. Were it me, I would probably talk to my son and tell him how I got that delica to celebrate his birth and tell him it was his now. The whole idea for me would be to send him off with something that would remind him there were folks at home who loved him. I don't see any knife doing that better than that delica. Thanks again for the nice story.
markg

Post by markg »

Thanks guys. I will wait on the one he was born with, he knows about the knife so it is not a surprise for him. Can't take anything to basic so I guess he will have to see what he can carry when he gets sorted out on what he is doing. One of this other favorites is the CRKT M-16 and he has a collection of them.

In truth, I may just get a Delica for ME when he leaves as it may hold more meaning for me than for him. :)

I am thinking of the orange handled one.