Don't drop your Double Stuff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
StuntZombie

Don't drop your Double Stuff

Post by StuntZombie »

I was touching up my Delica a few minutes ago, and I decided to rest my Double Stuff stone on my leg for a second. It slid off, hit the front of my computer, and this is what happened.

Doesn't look so bad, right?

Ouch.

I actually dropped it on concrete several years ago, and knocked a sliver off one of the medium side's corners, so I didn't think anything would happen this time. I didn't fall that far before it actually hit the computer case, but I'm guessing it hit just right. Or just wrong.

At least now I know what I'll be spending my Amazon gift card on.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Painful for sure. I dropped my 701 profile in the sink one day when cleaning it. Almost broke and I don't clean it in my hand anymore. Good thing for you the Double Stuff is cheap.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Revival

Post by Revival »

Wow sorry to hear man. I hate when things like that happen.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

StuntZombie wrote:I actually dropped it on concrete several years ago, and knocked a sliver off one of the medium side's corners, so I didn't think anything would happen this time. I didn't fall that far before it actually hit the computer case, but I'm guessing it hit just right. Or just wrong.
Or the second fall finished something the first had started. It's unfortunate, but fragility is a characteristic of ceramic stones.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
setldown

Post by setldown »

You might be able to glue it. Or throw the chunk in your tackle box and use it for fish hooks.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Oh crud. Yeah Im really paranoid with all my stones esp my ceramics.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That is the one main disadvantage of ceramic is it's brittle properties. I'm extremely careful with all my Spyderco sharpening stones and equipment made from their trademark, premium high alumina ceramic. Most of the time when I clean my stones I put an old rag or hand towell down where they are not touching the hard porcelin surface of the sink and I only scrub one at a time and I'm very careful. The Doublestuff stones I carry in my sidepocket of either my Carhartt jeans or bibs seems to hold it securely in the great leather pouch that Spyderco supplies.

I do wish that the 701 Profile stones would come in a heavy leather pouch like the Doublestuff stones do.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I'm a little disappointed this thread isn't about Oreos
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

By all means people and I'm mainly speaking to many of you newer faces here on the forum. Don't let what happened to this good brother by any means discourage or disuade you from getting any of Spyderco's premium sharpening stones, 204 Sharpmaker, 701 Profile stones ( if you can find them that is), or any of Spyderco's other great sharpening gear. Yes they can be broken, shattered, chipped>> but all you really need to do is just simply use common sense and be mindful that they can break or chip easily if you are around hard surfaces.

I had damage to 2 of my Spyderco stones over the years and both times it truly was carelessness on my part. On the other hand I've been using my first set of Spyderco 302 Benchstones out of 3 sets I've purchased of Spyderco 302 Benchstones for over 14 years and I've never had a problem with them>> and I've used that one particular set of 302 Benchstones a lot too. I've been a bit lucky I guess because I always tend to be more careful with the bigger sharpening equipment when I clean it or use it. I've only cleaned my Goldenstone twice since I've had it and I can assure you I will be taking great care when cleaning it.

On the other hand most any kind of sharpening stones tend to be brittle. ARkansas stones and even Norton's waterstones are also subject to the same type of damage if care isn't taken. In some ways I find it sort of miraculous that I've carried one of my Doublestuff stones in my side pockets of my jeans or bib overalls and have not yet had a problem. Well thank goodness the Doublestuff isn't that expensive to replace anyway.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

JD,

Absolutely. I think this was a freak occurrence. I've actually dropped this stone a few times over the past couple of years, and other than the first time, it suffered no damage. The great thing is, it's not like I still can't use the stone. It still has a flat surface, and I can't honestly say that I ever used the very ends of the stone that much as it is.

It certainly hasn't shaken my confidence in the ceramic stones, and I plan on getting the larger ones when I have the funds again.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN