FFG Endura or FFG Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

FFG Endura or FFG Stretch?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Which do you go with? Full Flat Grind Endura with VG-10 blade or Full Flat Grind Stretch with VG-10 blade?
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Personally, I'd go with the Stretch just because I prefer the shorter, 3.5" blade. Additionally, it keeps me legal in far more places, is less threatening, and lastly, I prefer the Stretch's blade shape.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
RealKnifeUser

Endura

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Both are great, I slightly prefer the endura for a few reasons.

1. Longer handle allows me a full, extended, thumb on spine grip. This places the blade in perfect allignment with the thumb pad, wrist, and forearm muscles. Blade point lands where I look, very controlled grip with a ton of reach.

2. Looks, IMO, better than the Stretch. Not that the Stretch is ugly, I just like Endura's look more

3. Little bit thicker and stiffer blade, talking about stock thickness and grind. The Stretch does cut better, but I didn't notice a huge difference in general use. The Endura's grind is just more durable without sacrificing much in cutting ability.

4. Price. Endura is cheaper in every style
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Pics to illustrate my point
Attachments
IMG_20140206_222223.jpg
0206142214.jpg
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

+1 for the FFG endura. I use mine everyday on boxes, zip ties, plastic pallet straps, clam shell packaging and have found it quite capable. :)
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Endura. As with any FRN knife, Endura or Stretch, just make sure it doesn't have blade play when you buy it.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The one that appeals to you the most personally.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's an easy choice for me. Stretch has a 50/50 choil, fits my hand like a custom made glove, and fits nicely in my back pocket. Endura lacks a 50/50 choil, fits my hand like an oven mitt, and is too long when closed to ride in the bottom of a back pocket. That said, the Endura is every bit as well built as the Stretch, so if your carry style allows for larger knives and you prefer an unstructured handle, it might be a better choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I like them both very much and rotate the two with others in my lineup. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Stretch. It's thinner grind makes it the better slicer and you dont see that thin blade in production knives except for a few other Spydies. Knives cut so Ill go with the better cutter. Im a fan of the finger choil and find it useful on knives that have it. The ergos are better for me not that the Endura lacks in that dept though. I like the Endura when I want to go longer blade and it sits better in the pocket. I have the fancier Spydies in my collection and value them but these two knives I carry more than others combined. I appreciate the light weight and strengths and are very capable tools.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

vaisforlovers wrote:Personally, I'd go with the Stretch just because I prefer the shorter, 3.5" blade. Additionally, it keeps me legal in far more places, is less threatening, and lastly, I prefer the Stretch's blade shape.
^-- all of this plus the handle is awesome.
Revival

Post by Revival »

I would go with the Stretch. It's very comfortable in the hand. I was never a fan of the endura though.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

CanadaDude wrote:Endura. As with any FRN knife, Endura or Stretch, just make sure it doesn't have blade play when you buy it.
How do I make sure there is no blade play if I buy it through the mail as opposed to an actual physical knife store? Should I ask the people selling it if it has blade play, or, in general most Spydercoes do not have blade play?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:How do I make sure there is no blade play if I buy it through the mail as opposed to an actual physical knife store? Should I ask the people selling it if it has blade play, or, in general most Spydercoes do not have blade play?
Blade-play is fairly subjective so you can't really know for sure. If you want to avoid lateral blade-play I would just not buy a lockback.

The only knife I've held that literally had no wiggle was a large Sebenza but the action was very heavy and the tolerances are impressive. IMO, it's a balance of preferences for the individual.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Stretch. One of my faves. Better (subjective, I know) ergos, thinner grind, smoother (mine was), big blade in small package a la Caly 3.5, choil...all that said, my first Spydie was a purple Endura, and I loved it too. I just love the Stretch more.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Another Stretch vote. I like the choil, ergonomics, blade shape (allows for easy thumb pressure on the spine of the blade). It's a funny looking knife, but it's highly functional.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The Stretch is my favorite blade shape that Spyderco makes! The handle fits my hand like a glove too!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not an Endura fan so I would immediately say Stretch, but thinking unbiased I would say if you ever find that you use your knife with gloves on, the Endura would be a better choice because of the bigger handle. The Stretch fits my hand near perfectly but doesn't leave any room for the added bulk of work/winter gloves.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Evil D wrote:I'm not an Endura fan so I would immediately say Stretch, but thinking unbiased I would say if you ever find that you use your knife with gloves on, the Endura would be a better choice because of the bigger handle. The Stretch fits my hand near perfectly but doesn't leave any room for the added bulk of work/winter gloves.
That's actually one of the reasons I didn't like the Stretch as much. Very good point! It was slightly cramped for my hands already and the cut resistant gloves I wear at work made it more cramped
- Miguel de Unamuno

RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Also, I should add that the only reason I can even feel cramped on the stretch is BECAUSE of the IMHO better and more refined handle ergo's. It just settles your hand into one position, so if your paws are too big for it (mine are slightly) then you may prefer the Endura. Didn't want to sound like I was bashing on the Stretch, just stating opinions
- Miguel de Unamuno

ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Stretch for me. First, the Endura is big enough to be a little unwieldy for me while the Stretch is not. In addition, I"m a big fan of the Stretch's better blade to handle ratio. The difference between the blade and handle lengths on the Stretch is 7/8" based on the specs on Spyderco's site while the Endura's difference is 1.25". While it may seem insignificant, blade to handle ratio is an important spec to me. I've EDC'd a Delica since 2004 and when the D4 came out the extra 1/4" of handle with no blade length increase was the hardest thing to overcome when I started EDCing the new version. Blade to handle ratio is also the reason I love the Caly 3.5 so much.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...