Spyderco Kitchen Knives are Up!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Invective

Post by Invective »

JNewell wrote:Absolutely wicked on tomatoes!
Found out tonight they are also great on raw meat! Was slicing up some beef to get it thinner before the marinade and the plain edge just got bungled up on the fat, but the SpyderEdge just breezed right through! Granted, I haven't sharpened the plain edge for a while, but the SE also hadn't been sharpened yet so they were probably arond the same sharpness. Dang I love this knife
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

dbcad wrote:Are these kitchen knives regular production? They only seem to be offered at a a few select dealers?
Yes. I think it's just the front edge of the supply chain working its way down the channels.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

I might wait to see if a non plastic handle version is released at some point....I can't seem to justify in my mind replacing my Ying and Yang with the current releases.They sure would make a nice gift and may have to send a few to relatives.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

bh49 wrote:Sal,

Why would you used corner for plain edge and not flats?
Thank you,
Roman
Hi Roman,

I'm not Sal, but I find the corners work better on thin, flexible blades than the flats. Reason is that there is so much lateral deflection using the flat that it is hard to keep the bevel on the flat. Using the corners, the force needed to remove metal is much less, so the thin blade distorts a lot less, giving superior control.

Bill
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

sal wrote:Hi Hunter, I like to use the 30 degree white corner on the serrated model and the plain edge model.

Roger, It was the serrated K04 that has been asked for. Pretty awesome on a cutting board.

sal
Thank you very much Sal. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bill1170 wrote:Hi Roman,

I'm not Sal, but I find the corners work better on thin, flexible blades than the flats. Reason is that there is so much lateral deflection using the flat that it is hard to keep the bevel on the flat. Using the corners, the force needed to remove metal is much less, so the thin blade distorts a lot less, giving superior control.

Bill
Bill,
Thank you. That makes sense.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just couldn't resist and ordered one more K04 PE. I think that my mother in law needs one.
I am shocked that they still available. You guys, who are using folders and fixed blades on the kitchens have no idea what are you missing. I believe that K04 with 6" of FFG 1.5 mm thick at spine and .012" behind the edge will outslice any folder including Cento3. 3-4 mm thick fixed blade will not be even close. K04 is the 6" of pure beauty cutter.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Just couldn't resist and ordered one more K04 PE. I think that my mother in law needs one.
I am shocked that they still available. You guys, who are using folders and fixed blades on the kitchens have no idea what are you missing. I believe that K04 with 6" of FFG 1.5 mm thick at spine and .012" behind the edge will outslice any folder including Cento3. 3-4 mm thick fixed blade will not be even close. K04 is the 6" of pure beauty cutter.
I actually pulled the trigger finally Roman. Ordered a PE from the SFO with my Mule just to get free shipping. I think I almost broke even on the deal considering the SFO shipping cost plus a dealer shipping cost equals about what the price difference in the knife would have been. I still need a Blue SE. So excited for it to arrive.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Just couldn't resist and ordered one more K04 PE. I think that my mother in law needs one.
Exceptionally well said. Both my wife and I really like these knives, and we do not always like the same knives!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I bought one, and have been playing with it. A review is forthcoming, but for now I'll note that it is much smaller than it appears in the images, and that it will NOT substitute if you're used to a proper chef's knife. Its difficult to argue with its extreme value, and very functionally designed, if a bit small, handle. My problem with it, quite frankly, stems from doing a level of cooking where I whip out one full sized gyuto and crash through everything. It'd slot in quite nicely where you'd use kitchen utility knife I believe.

The plastic on these handles is far harder and less "gummy" and grippy than the old ones.

Sal, if you're reading this, PLEASE offer us a nice gyuto this time. The Santuko in the last run was wonderful in many respects (particularly handle design and a nice deep blade) but was completely lacking a usable point. It was functional, well priced, had a nice deep blade, etc, but that lack of a point was a killer. Also, if I may, consider rounding the spine and heel on any larger kitchen knives. Its a godsend for comfort for those of us who use a pinch grip.

In the meantime though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Seto Gyuto you guys are importing. That was a win that didn't get nearly enough fanfare IMO. They also, compared to what you'll find if you walk into Williams-Sonoma, are quite well priced for very stylish cutlery.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:I actually pulled the trigger finally Roman. Ordered a PE from the SFO So excited for it to arrive.
Congrats. I hope that you will enjoy it.
hunterseeker5 wrote: I bought one, and have been playing with it. A review is forthcoming, but for now I'll note that it is much smaller than it appears in the images, and that it will NOT substitute if you're used to a proper chef's knife. Its difficult to argue with its extreme value, and very functionally designed, if a bit small, handle. My problem with it, quite frankly, stems from doing a level of cooking where I whip out one full sized gyuto and crash through everything.
I agree with a lot of what you said. Still today I had to trim 30 chicken breasts. K04 worked like a charm. Without doubts I prefer my Kanetsune K02, but sometimes one knife is not enough. And K04 works for me better than Yang.
hunterseeker5 wrote: Sal, if you're reading this, PLEASE offer us a nice gyuto this time.
This will be fantastic. 9" please.

hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

bh49 wrote: This will be fantastic. 9" please.

I was, for no reason I can fathom, reading something the other day on "the best general use Japanese style chef's knife." It basically landed on "the santuko is highly popular, but the gyuto is the thinking man's santuko." I didn't think that was a terribly eloquent way to put it, as they both have their own uses, but it is in its own way more or less true.

While we're here making requests, I'd request that since the handles are right handed asymmetric, why not also bias the blade for right handed users? Leave the left side of the blade flat, but put a smidge of a convex on the right side to help reduce vegetable cling. Makes sense to me. :P *shrug* What do I know about how these are being produced? ;)
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I just got done using my PE K04 tonight and have to agree with hunter.

I don't have large hands but a larger grip would be nice. The thin profile makes it a really nice slicer and it's so light in hand, that prep work seems to go quicker. It is not very large but is perfect as a utility knife. I prefer the choice between a chef's knife and a smaller blade. The K04 is great for quick chores and small-scale cooking. I'll probably pick up a SE in blue.

Thanks, Sal for bringing back Spyderco's kitchen line. I look forward to future models. ;)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I'd really love to see an "in-the-wild" picture. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

vaisforlovers wrote:I'd really love to see an "in-the-wild" picture. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Soon my friend, very soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

hunterseeker5 wrote:I was, for no reason I can fathom, reading something the other day on "the best general use Japanese style chef's knife." It basically landed on "the santuko is highly popular, but the gyuto is the thinking man's santuko." I didn't think that was a terribly eloquent way to put it, as they both have their own uses, but it is in its own way more or less true.
I would take Gyuto over Santoku for anything I do on my kitchen. I used to have Santoku. I used it mostly to cut vegetables. My wife didn't like it at all. So I gave it to my in laws. They also use it mostly for veggies.
D1omedes wrote:I just got done using my PE K04 tonight and have to agree with hunter.
I don't have large hands but a larger grip would be nice.
Anthony,
I agree with you and hunter, but I didn't noticed this until hunter brought it up. I think that this is not an issue for me. I will not be using this knife all day long.
I put K04 side to side with Yang and noticed that overall length is about the same. But Yang has longer handle and K04 has longer blade. Interesting, both knives were designed by Spyderco.

hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I guess I would say, its imperfect, but I would say that from the perspective of someone who'll whip out a full size knife for almost everything except detail work, and then I'd go for something smaller and more rigid. So how critical can I reasonably be about a knife which, by design, wasn't meant to fill the role I'd typically use it for? Thats like saying "I hate these running shoes, I never go running."
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It is a bit of a tweener.. I prefer a 9" Gyuto and pairing knife for 95% of my kitchen work. My wife likes the size of our K04, but probably uses a Santoku for 90% of her kitchen duties.. I do know people who mostly use something K04 sized though..
arty

Post by arty »

I actually like a shorter knife like the Yang. It will do most of what I need, unless I want to carve up a turkey. Some time ago, the Yang replaced my old carbon Sabatier 4 Elephants of the same size. I have a larger 8" 4 Elephants carbon that never gets used, another antique from 1970 or so.
I recently discovered the utility of a thin 7" Gyoto, and might like a slightly longer one.
Invective

Post by Invective »

vaisforlovers wrote:I'd really love to see an "in-the-wild" picture. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
Bumpin this thread for this request

One of my hunting friends was in Africa this past summer and brought back some antelope for my family, we've kept it frozen until now, thawed it out and made some ground antelope for antelope burgers. The SE was superb at cutting through the meat, and the PE was the tool for separating the meat from the tendons or ligaments? I'm not sure what it was but it didn't grind easily so we try to take off the thicker pieces so they don't jam the meat grinder. We had about 4 times the amount of meat seen in the first pic btw.