CONTEST ALERT!! Customize your Swick!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

CONTEST ALERT!! Customize your Swick!

Post by TazKristi »

Customize your Spyderco Swick (any current or past Swick)!

Submit a photo of your customized Spyderco Swick for a chance to win a C24GP, Blackhawk. This is an original, new in box, made in Golden, Colorado USA Blackhawk with Sal & Eric Glesser's autographs on the box!

Click on the contest link below for more prize information, rules, to submit your photo, and how to purchase a Swick if you do not currently own one and would like to participate. Contest will end Friday, March 14, 2014.

http://www.spyderco.com/contests/swick3/ <---- Click here (it's a link :) )
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the contest!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Awesome contest thanks a lot! How is the winner determined?
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dang. Makes me wish I had one to customize. That's a pretty awesome prize.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:Dang. Makes me wish I had one to customize. That's a pretty awesome prize.
Same haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I hope the winner will not be determined by the level of customization. Thanks for the contest Spyderco & crew!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What a neat idea! The Blackhawk is a sweet knife. Thanks for the opportunity, Kristi. :) (Looks like I'll need to get a Swick now :o ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Cool contest...this may get me to finally commit to making my first custom scales.
That blackhawk is pretty awesome, reminds me of the early generation chinook blade.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the very cool contest! Especially since I just received some custom Swick 3 scales. This should be a fun one, and what a great prize! Thanks again.
:bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks Kristi and Spyderco! Let's see who's first to post some of the new Halpern scales! When will we see the leaf version? :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

dgebler wrote:Cool contest...this may get me to finally commit to making my first custom scales.
Has anyone made their own scales with bare bones tools? I'm thinking files and sandpaper.
M80

Post by M80 »

Looks like i have to make some scales :D
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Buendia518 wrote:Has anyone made their own scales with bare bones tools? I'm thinking files and sandpaper.
There was a thread started by bearfacekiller a few days ago where he has pictures of making some simple wood scales with just a bow saw, sandpaper and files.
I don't have much more than this myself, but I think I will give it a go.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:I hope the winner will not be determined by the level of customization. Thanks for the contest Spyderco & crew!
I hope so too since there are those who buy scales and those who do the work themselves. It's hard to not be biased to the person doing it themselves.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Buendia518 wrote:Has anyone made their own scales with bare bones tools? I'm thinking files and sandpaper.
I did a simple set just to get the feel of it. I new it was my first set and wasn't very meticulous. I plan on doing it again with some better wood. If you just take your time hand tools should be fine. Drilling nice countersunk holes in the right spots could be easier with a drill press. I used a coping saw, sandpaper and a hand drill then stained them and rubbed mineral oil on them. Ive been using the knife and even though they are ugly they are comfortable.

That was for a mule. I'm gonna make swick scales but I have a plan for that. :-)
spyderfly

Post by spyderfly »

Send in my swick with barb wire micarta scales.
spyderfly

Post by spyderfly »

[ATTACH]23244[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic.
Attachments
foto 3.JPG
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

xceptnl wrote:I hope the winner will not be determined by the level of customization. Thanks for the contest Spyderco & crew!
Evil D wrote:I hope so too since there are those who buy scales and those who do the work themselves. It's hard to not be biased to the person doing it themselves.
I'm guessing self-made scales (or custom ones) may stand a better chance at winning, as the rules state:
Submitted photos must be of a customized Spyderco Swick. All submissions will be voted on by a panel of Spyderco crew members.
This makes me think that those that aren't just run of the mill, ordinary scales will more likely gain the favor of those voting.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

dgebler wrote:There was a thread started by bearfacekiller a few days ago where he has pictures of making some simple wood scales with just a bow saw, sandpaper and files.
I don't have much more than this myself, but I think I will give it a go.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I did a simple set just to get the feel of it. I new it was my first set and wasn't very meticulous. I plan on doing it again with some better wood. If you just take your time hand tools should be fine. Drilling nice countersunk holes in the right spots could be easier with a drill press. I used a coping saw, sandpaper and a hand drill then stained them and rubbed mineral oil on them. Ive been using the knife and even though they are ugly they are comfortable.

That was for a mule. I'm gonna make swick scales but I have a plan for that. :-)
Thanks, I found the original thread and it looks like it's not too far fetched so I might try. I'd be happy if mine turned out that well but either way it should be an enjoyable process; it's been way too long since I've walked around a hardware store.
angusW

Post by angusW »

spyderfly wrote:[ATTACH]23244[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic.
Those are nice but need a bigger pic to see it better.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies