Spyderco Tactical Folder Line!(SPYDERTAC)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Spyderco lets its knives speak for themselves. They do have a whole Op-Focus catalog geared toward police and military applications of the product line. But I'd say that's plenty. Those who know, already carry Spyderco.
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

xceptnl wrote:"Heavy is good, Heavy is sign of reliability...... if it does not work, you can always hit him with it!"
Boris The Bullet Dodger knows his stuff ;)

Eric, I can see what you are after here and I think it certainly is a valid question. We are here on this forum to discuss ideas and have questions answered. That being said, I kind of do agree with everyone's mentality here regarding their definition of what is considered tactical.

Although it is easy to label this knife or that meant for the mall ninja I think we should remember that there are people out there that need to carry such weapons, for their job or whatever. Spyderco makes a few knives that are aimed at a small niche of users so why not something tactical?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Boris The Bullet Dodger knows his stuff ;)

Eric, I can see what you are after here and I think it certainly is a valid question. We are here on this forum to discuss ideas and have questions answered. That being said, I kind of do agree with everyone's mentality here regarding their definition of what is considered tactical.

Although it is easy to label this knife or that meant for the mall ninja I think we should remember that there are people out there that need to carry such weapons, for their job or whatever. Spyderco makes a few knives that are aimed at a small niche of users so why not something tactical?
Thank you! That is all I'm saying! Not trying to do anything else! :spyder: :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Boris The Bullet Dodger knows his stuff ;)
Glad someone got that!

Also known as Boris the Blade
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Eric, just get a Battle Station, that should keep you busy for a while until the Tanaka comes out. Then you will literally be able to single-handedly with the Tanaka bring down an actual bison. You can paint it camo colored if you want more tactical. ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Millie, Szabo, Ulize, and Police are good to go already and can fill that role. I'd rather have one of these if I actually needed it for that (which I never do) over other brands' tactical focused line anyway I feel like if someone really wants to stop BSing and actually be placed in real tactical situations, the Police is still perfect as a primary folding blade.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Matriarch2
Caly 3.5
Tasman
Karahawk
Waved Matriarch 2
Lil Matriarch
Civilian
Yojimbo2
Military
Paramilitary2
Manix2
Manix2 XL
Lum Chinese Folder Large
Endura
Police G10
Ulize
Navaja (debatable due to handle material)
P'Kal
Szabo
Hungarian (debatable due to handle material)
Vallatton (debatable due to handle material)
Southard
Lionspy (debatable due to handle material)
Tuff (debatable)

As a base of understanding for lock strength, most on the list above would be matching or exceeding a Delica which is rated as a "heavy duty lock" (IIRC), or a minimum of 100 lbs/inch of blade length (or at least 300lbs total). Being that Delica trainers are very common for use in martial arts training and few (if any) locks break I don't see how they wouldn't be sufficient for actual use. That and the chance of it failing during 10-30 seconds of duress is a helluva dice toss.

Arguably knives like the Police G10, Civilian, P'kal, Tasman and Yojimbo2 are some of the best defensive knives on the planet. Newer offerings like the Szabo and Ulize are equally terrifying. Mike J hasn't laser-etched any skulls into the Yo2 but who needs to posture when you can just show someone Porkman?
nccole

Post by nccole »

It sounds to me that you are just after a thicker knife. You mentioned the Southard and Techno. Spyderco actually makes quite a few self-defense knives, Matriarch, P'kal, Szabo, Karahawk etc (sorry if I got the names wrong, I don't own one nor probably will). Spyderco's design has been geared more toward cutting performance, and thicker blade stock goes against that philosophy. That is why there are so few of them. Most Spyderco enthusiasts like that fact. A lot of us look at those 8 oz. folding pry bar with a sharpened edge as silly. Also, a common theme is that this thicker is better "tactical" thing is a fad that will pass, and the real cutting tools that Spyderco makes will be around forever. Just trying to shed some light on the backlash :D If you are after a way overbuilt sharpened pry-bar speak with your dollars and buy something else. I doubt Spyderco will get into that market. They simply do not make something that is cool, it has to function primarily.

No disrespect to you, just trying to explain what happened with this thread a bit.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

nccole wrote:It sounds to me that you are just after a thicker knife. You mentioned the Southard and Techno. Spyderco actually makes quite a few self-defense knives, Matriarch, P'kal, Szabo, Karahawk etc (sorry if I got the names wrong, I don't own one nor probably will). Spyderco's design has been geared more toward cutting performance, and thicker blade stock goes against that philosophy. That is why there are so few of them. Most Spyderco enthusiasts like that fact. A lot of us look at those 8 oz. folding pry bar with a sharpened edge as silly. Also, a common theme is that this thicker is better "tactical" thing is a fad that will pass, and the real cutting tools that Spyderco makes will be around forever. Just trying to shed some light on the backlash :D If you are after a way overbuilt sharpened pry-bar speak with your dollars and buy something else. I doubt Spyderco will get into that market. They simply do not make something that is cool, it has to function primarily.

No disrespect to you, just trying to explain what happened with this thread a bit.
You can either choose to live in the stereotype or outside of it. Does everyone who owns a Benchmade, Emerson, ZT, Strider, Hinderer fit in the "Tactical" stereotype you all are suggesting? I do own Benchmades, HK(Benchmade), and ZT's, and as for the rest, they are on my watch list! Those companies are all catering to a Specific Market. I don't allow anyone to put me into a stereotype! I am myself and I'm comfortable with it! If others aren't, that doesn't bother me a bit(Not even a SMIDGEN!). :D :spyder:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

GTP2K1 wrote:I'm just hear to show my support for a Stretch 3 with a flipper and Ti Framelock... :o
This! And a heavier blade profile, assisted or unassisted, with different sizes and blade lengths! The word "tactical" seems to be sending people into a tizzy! :) :spyder:
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Weird, I can remember when the Delica I carried in the Army was considered a tactical knife because it had a pocket clip and could be opened 1-handed. Nowadays it also must have a thick blade, survive repetitive spine-whacks, and hammering into stuff.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe we can call the new line "Spyderco-ol". :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Donut wrote:Maybe we can call the new line "Spyderco-ol". :)
Don't call it anything at all! Just interested in a knife made by Spyderco along the lines stated in the original post! Forget the Special line, drop the word "tactical", and please don't.....nevermind! :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

eric m. wrote:I've been looking at tactical folding knives from various manufacturers recently and I'm wondering why Spyderco hasn't made any inroads into this area! I'm thinking of Stretch Blade Profile, at least at the rear portion of the blade, with a flipper! I have a Southard, but the Stretch profile would allow for an adequately sized hole with a wide blade for Tactical strength! What do you think? :spyder:
Have you considered what is probably the most sophisticated, purpose-built and -designed "tactical" knife on the market, certainly from any production company, the P'kal - for which Spyderco also offers a trainer, which is a genuine rarity in today's market?

But the real thing is that "tactical" is an attitude that you train and develop, it is not a label on a box, or something you can just buy and "have," as if you checked some box on a list.
eric m. wrote:When I look at Benchmade, ZT, Emerson, Strider, and Hinderer knives all geared towards heavy duty Military/Law enforcement "Tactical" folders, I say to myself, Spyderco can start their own line to target this Specific segment of the marketplace! Spyderco quality and ingenuity is certainly able to compete with the best of them, and able to exceed many! I realize many of Spyderco's knives are perfectly suitable for this role, but as stated at the start of the thread, a SPYDERTAC LINE of knives geared towards this segment of the market would, I believe, be a winner! Just putting my thoughts out there for you all! Didn't expect all this attitude! :)
I have all of those except the genuine Hinderer. They offer nothing that I can't find in the Spyderco catalog in one knife or more.
eric m. wrote:This! And a heavier blade profile, assisted or unassisted, with different sizes and blade lengths! The word "tactical" seems to be sending people into a tizzy! :) :spyder:
Do you want a "tactical" knife, or a prybar? :confused:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

eric m. wrote:This! And a heavier blade profile, assisted or unassisted, with different sizes and blade lengths! The word "tactical" seems to be sending people into a tizzy! :) :spyder:
Do you want a "tactical" knife, or a prybar? :confused:
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

As an average Joe cop here I have been lucky to carry Enduras since I believe 1990. So that makes me an eggspurt on tacticool, just joking. Hard use knives are what the user believes it to be based on what the kool kids carry. I have met and talked with military, swat and just the beat cops about knives. Spyderco knives are cutting tools and one of the best. The most important thing I appreciate that they are truly ambidextrous. They are affordable so if I lose my knife it will not break the bank to buy another. Knives are for cutting not prying that is why I keep a mini pry in my leg pocket. No one knife can be every thing to every one but, my Endura sure cuts what I need and what needs to be cut. So this is where I do make pitch for Sal to loan me the WHATSITBIG for field testing.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Sounds like you want a heavy-duty knife more so than a tactical one. From a tactical stand-point, you have someone like Michael Janich who works in special projects and helps develop knives specifically for self-defense purposes, which is what a 'tactical' knife should be. Spyderco does in fact have a whole division called Op-Focus which is specifically for military, police officers, self-defense, etc.

What you want is a beefy, overbuilt tank folder, right? Like a ZT300, or a Medford Praetorian, or XM-18, etc. Which is a pretty sexy style these days for sure. There are a few custom knife makers which are doing things that you would probably like. They are licensed to use the Spyderco opening hole, they are building big chunky knives and putting out a good quality product. Well, at least I think they are licensed... don't quote me on that.

Someone like Daibor Bergam is doing some cool stuff that might be up your alley. Only downside is that he's got a long wait! http://daliborbergamknives.com/

Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

All knife makers have to play the game a bit. It's a great way to sell products to a very obsessive sub-group. Some just patronize it's customers a *bit* more than others. :rolleyes:

Think about it: You're selling something tactical (ie battlefield gear) to a bunch of untrained civilians who are so likely to never see a fist fight (let alone a mortal conflict) that it's only a strange fantasy. They aren't prepared for battle, especially organized battle, which is why taxes (kinda) pay for a military of people who are.

In less developed countries farm implements become weapons as ad hoc forces gather to protect themselves from a greater evil. They don't call it their tactical EDC, bug-out bag, or SD carry...they call it "life". Strangely despite not having jimping and DLC on their machetes it doesn't hinder their efforts.

I think people who are the elected "guardian" of their household should to be prepared on some basis to defend their loved ones. People tend to take this WAY too far and try to shop themselves out the perceived problem. They don't train, they jump on Amazon.com and find a solution.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Darn it Blerv, you're raining on my parade. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Darn it Blerv, you're raining on my parade. :D
Sorry, unless you are Chuck. Anyone driving a pink micro-truck is surely an instigator of martial matters. :p