Running with a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peter469

Running with a knife

Post by peter469 »

Which knife do you carry while running and how do you carry it?

I carry a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt in a pocket when I runt, but I would like to carry a larger knife during my runs. I haven't found a good way to carry one without excessive bouncing or chafing though.
I usually run between 45 min and 2 hours and will probably forget to rinse my knife immediately afterwards since I've gotten used to the Salt-series.
The knife will be for emergencies mostly. Sometimes I make a fire and cook something on longer runs, so it will need to handle fire prep. Cutting clothes and digging out splinters is also on the list. As for defense, I doubt a folder of any size would be much use against a boar, which would be the most likely aggressor in these parts, but it still might lend a slight peace of mind.
I'm leaning towards a DLC Para2 with one G10 side sanded down as not to chafe against my skin. I have a Salt 1 and it's OK, but the FRN isn't comfortable IWB. Any other ideas?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've carried a Military IWB while running (BG42 carbon fiber one) and haven't had any problems with chafing (at 1 o'clock an angle). The CF is worn smoother so it feels pretty much like how lightly sanded G10 would feel..

A Para should work fine, just a light sanding and round any edges you think might be an issue.
setldown

Post by setldown »

How about an elastic wrist band used for sprains? Slide it up your forearm and clip your knife to the inside.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
SpyderTaco

Post by SpyderTaco »

I am also a distance runner. I stick with my pacific salt. I wear Clipped to my running shorts at 3 o'clock. I dont like built in underwear and always wear compression shorts so chafing isn't an issue. Defense is my only real concern on a run. Even my long trail runs I carry premade food or wait until returning to camp for food prep.

I'm probably not much help since my routine is so different than yours but I fully recommend the pacific salt if you can make it work.
My Spyders : Endura wave PE, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious PE, Persistence PE(gifted), byrd Hawkbill SE, Cricket(lost)
Wish list: Yojimbo, Cricket, Delia FFG, Street Bowie, Police 3

-Adam
SpyderTaco

Post by SpyderTaco »

Interesting idea about the wrist band. I really like that. Also maybe look at a spibelt or something similar.
My Spyders : Endura wave PE, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious PE, Persistence PE(gifted), byrd Hawkbill SE, Cricket(lost)
Wish list: Yojimbo, Cricket, Delia FFG, Street Bowie, Police 3

-Adam
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

You could put it in a holder for an Ipod and carry it on your arm :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think Pacific Salt is the logical answer here, clipped in wasteband wherever is comfortable for you, I carry between 3 and 5. That will avoid flopping around, the only issue you may have is chaffing if your shorts move around a lot. Another option would be a neck knife, which may flop around if you wear a loose shirt but would avoid chaffing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
peter469

Post by peter469 »

SpyderTaco: Do you carry a knife to defend against animals or people?

I like the spibelt idea. I'll get one any try it out!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I found the Tasman as well as the Spyderhawk to be comfortable and lightweight enough that I don't notice them in the waistband.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I usually carry a Centofante 4 IWB at 1 o'clock. Sometimes it's the Centofante 3. Depending on the shorts, I might tolerate it clipped in a side pocket. On either the handle is smooth and doesn't chafe me at all, fits my hand like a dream, is lightweight, and cuts like a demon. I've carried a Swick in a neck sheath, but have had rust spotting problems on the S30V if I forget to rinse it off and rinse out the sheath after, so I mostly gave that up. VG-10 has been fine for me, but I suppose we don't all sweat the exact same combination of minerals. None of those are exactly survival knives, but removing splinters is their usual task. If I'm going far enough out to take survival gear I also need a lot of water, so there's always room for a cord wrapped Mule in kydex tucked into the pack or vest somewhere. I've carried naked Mules in a neck rig too, mostly for the sake of science. That rides OK if I get the chain length just right, but it didn't really blow my hair back all that much.

Gordon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I run obsessively. Over 600 miles last year plus I bike and swim. I'm training for a marathon and a triathalon both this year. I almost always ran and biked with my favorite knife IWB at 3 oclock. It is my para2 s30v. I wear boxer briefs and gym shorts both with and without a shirt and regularly run 5 miles or more. The para2 is thin and light and disappeared for me. I carry it in between my boxer briefs and shorts and have never had any chafing from the G10 at all. I found that any knife that weighs about 4 ounces or less is ok as long as it is slim enough. The Para2 being about the max for me but also my favorite. A delica disappears as well. I have never had a need for stainless steel so S30V is all I need and I have had no rust issues with even poor maintenance but I also live in a very dry climate. I have also had great luck carrying a very popular knife made by another popular knife company and that would lead me to suggest a stainless delica instead of suggesting that other company's knife which is very similar to a stainless delica. I would say go for the para2 or a stainless endura/delica. For reference I am 6' tall and 145 pounds.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Also, I find it uncomfortable to run with anything in my pockests. A nickel or a quarter would probably get uncomfortable so i'm sure a ladybug wouldn't work for me.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I carry a camelback when I run and what ever knife I choose to carry clips on the a little loop on the shoulder strap or goes in the pocket. I usually take the military, pm2, or tuff.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am a bike racer and ride a lot. Over the past couple of years of trial and error, I have found that the Spyderhawk SE in H1 is the best knife for me to carry on the bike while training. Unfortunately, the Spyderhawk has been discontinued. They can be found on the secondary market here and there, but at a higher price that when they were in production.

I like the hawkbill for the self-defense role it might have if I were attacked (biggest threat in my area is dogs), but that's preference only for me. I am not trained in knife self-defense and I think that a hawkbill would be easier for me to handle than most other blade shapes, from the bike as well as off. My carry spot is clipped to the top of the right side pocket on the back of my jersey or jacket.

The H1 is a perfect blade material because it does not corrode due to contact with my sweat. I started out carrying a Matriarch in VG-10 but had problems with corrosion over about 3 months, even with cleaning and Tuf-Glide. With H1, I don't have to do any cleanup if I don't want to after a ride. It's nice - the perfect lazy-guy blade.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

This is one of the few applications where the Military might be ok
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ya the military is pretty light. im sure it would work fine iwb.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I don't run as long as you, but I carry a Para (1) IWB about 2-3 o'clock and I have never had a chafing problem. I also have it in my pocket while mowing the lawn in the heat and humidity of the summer (push mower on a hill, I need the workout) and it often has sweat on the blade. I normally only wipe it off without rinsing and I have not had any rust issues.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Chumango wrote:I don't run as long as you, but I carry a Para (1) IWB about 2-3 o'clock and I have never had a chafing problem. I also have it in my pocket while mowing the lawn in the heat and humidity of the summer (push mower on a hill, I need the workout) and it often has sweat on the blade. I normally only wipe it off without rinsing and I have not had any rust issues.
Welcome to the forum. What part of east TN?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Oak Ridge. Long time lurker and finally decided to join.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Pacific Salt IWB for me