A Delica and a boy...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

A Delica and a boy...

Post by markg »

In June of 1996, my son was born. The day he was born, I carried a Spyderco Delica. Old school, AUS-8A, SE, black FRN, with the fat plastic clip. I got it special for the occasion. After that time, I put it up, in a safe. I have a handful of knives, that for sentimental reasons, are not carried, displayed, or used. It is one.

As my son grew up, he inherited my love of knives. His first was a little SAK Classic, then some cheap S&W folder. Then he got a Spyderco Rescue Jr, orange FRN. He has his own Delica now, and quite a few other blades. He has even taken to making knives himself and has made a few swords with his grandfather.

Yesterday, my son was sworn into the US Air Force, and will be leaving for the service this summer after graduation from high school. Bittersweet, as he gets to live out a dream I did not, but as a parent it is always hard to watch your only son just go off to points unknown.

I have a few ideas for 18th birthday/graduation/going away gift (in June). One of them will be a Spyderco Delica of some sort. Not sure yet, something engraved, a hard to get LE? Not sure, a have a few months to think of something.

Sometimes people wonder why we love knives, for many of us they are companions through the journey of life, tools we remember things by, items that mean something because they remind us someone.

Well that is why the Delica has always meant something to me, and will always have a special place in my collection, and life.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Fine looking young man. Neat story. Someone once asked Sal Glesser what kind of folding knife he would want his own son to carry into battle if he were a soldier...the Military model was born, the rest is history. An M390, or S90V Millie would be my choice. There's a couple up for bid on a popular, large internet auction site. Congrats!!!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Very cool story.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Great story. Lazerdesigns.com is an official Spydie dealer, and they have Delicas. they laser engrave stuff to your specifications. Check out their site. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for. I have yet to deal with them myself, but they seem genuine. I intend on ordering an SS Police model from them with custom engravings for my police chief, as a thanks, as he has been a great mentor to me and I owe him a lot.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Congratulations to you and your son.

Thanks for sharing
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Great story. I still remember taking my oath on my induction day many years ago which started my path to becoming a US Army Recon NCO. Carried a Buck 110 as did many other team members back in the day. It will be a priceless time in his life, and I wish him well.
Cheers...
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

What a nice story, Mark. A big congrats to your son!
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Reading it makes one fuzzy all over - congrats in all aspects to both you and your son!

I wish you both only the best.

:)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mark,

Congratulations and please thank your son, from me, for his service.

sal
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Sal:

Your words carry a million hammers....

Thank you sir!

:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Congrats! I would opt for something not too fancy that he will take with him and use and abuse. I wouldn't give him something rare for that occasion.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for sharing the heart-warming story, Mark. Congrats to both you and your son! That is quite an accomplishment for your son. :) Have you considered having custom scales made for a Delica? I'm sure the fine folks at Cuscadi would be able to help:

http://www.cuscadi.de/category/manufacturer/spyderco/
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congratulations to you both and thank you for sharing your story and pics (am I the only one a little nervous for him in that baby pic with the knife so close? :) ).

Some great ideas for custom Delicas above, but I must say that a knife that may also be very fitting and deserving is the Memory, and it would look sharp with the dress blues. Of course, another Delica along with that Memory to serve as a user/beater wouldn't hurt, and I would recommend the Super Blue sprint that's out there now. Heck of a steel on those sprints and hey, you can't go wrong with another "Super Blue" Air Force reference there ;) . If you go the SB route, this also opens you up for a grey G10 SB Caly 3/3.5, a "graduation" in itself from the Delica series, although the SB sprints of these are getting harder to find/pricier... Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

My boys' first "good" knives were Delica 3s - Spyderco makes a lot of nice mid-size lockbacks (Caly3, Native5, Delica4). I am just thinking out loud without time for reflection, but in your place I think my first choices might be either the S110V Forum Native5 or one of the Paramilitary2 sprints? Congratulations to all of you. :) :spyder:
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Mark, thank you for the great story and for sharing those pics. Congratulations on your son and be proud of him. I really feel those young people make the difference and a better world.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Awesome story and thank you for sharing!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Congrats to you both. I too like the laser engraved user idea.
markg

Post by markg »

sal wrote:Hi Mark,

Congratulations and please thank your son, from me, for his service.

sal
Thanks Sal, I will let him know. He is a fan of your products and that will mean a lot to him.

And thanks everyone else. Took him in today to finalize his career choices. It is either aircraft maintenance/mechanic (chose either F-22, F-15, F-35, B-52, B-2, or C-130) or an aerial gunner. We will see what he gets.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That's pretty cool that your son can choose the aircraft he would like to work on. My grandfather served in WWII as an aircraft mechanic (Navy). He worked primarily on the Vought F4U Corsairs--which also happened to be his favorite fighter craft of that era. :) It's amazing how things have changed in the last 65+ years in terms of fighter aircraft.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A Delica Titanium Damascus handle engraved would be a nice gift.