Chaparral 3 sale at Howes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Chaparral 3 sale at Howes

Post by jackknifeh »

Pake

Post by Pake »

Howes marks down their products when it sits too long. Personally, i thought pricing for this knife was way off, and i guess the market thinks the same as you can find this knife in stock at most of the retailers.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It's also for the collector's versions, which might be why they are slow movers. At that high of a price, I would rather pay a bit more to get a clean blade, as the handles are already busy and I wouldn't want to add even more "noise" to the blade portion. Normally, I wouldn't care too much about the CC# one way or the other, but since the premium for the knife is based on aesthetics, I'd want to get it in the most aesthetically pleasing configuration as possible, even if it does cost a few more $$.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Pake wrote:Howes marks down their products when it sits too long. Personally, i thought pricing for this knife was way off, and i guess the market thinks the same as you can find this knife in stock at most of the retailers.
This knife is out of my price range based on my financial position. I'M BROKE!!! :) But, if I had more money I'd buy the Chaparral 3. From the pictures it is beautiful. I have the Chap2 and love it. But, to be honest I didn't pay for all of it either. A very generous individual made it possible for me to have it. Spyderco provides a wide range of pocket knives for all types of uses. The Chap3 is the most expensive one that comes to mind. But there are some people who will pay a lot more for a pocket knife than I can and it doesn't make them think twice. For the average guy the knife is more expensive than they can afford or are willing to pay for a pocket knife. But I'm glad Spyderco made this one for those who would buy one. I'm sure the sale numbers won't be enormous over time but that's ok. I haven't even priced them on different sites because it's out of my consideration. But the last price I remember seeing was $360 or something. That was when it first came out. I guess the prices have come down a bit.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Street prices have been around $316. This is a good price, but too bad they're all CC marked.
:bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Speaking of market prices, I bought a new non-CC Chap 3 on eBay two weeks ago for $230. Pays to do your homework I guess. It is good to see it come below $300, and it doesn't surprise me that Jim Howe is responsible. As for CC pieces, I actually don't mind them but I am glad this knife is clean save for the standard markings.

It's a really beautiful piece, it's all about addition and elevation to achieve its texturing while the Chap 2 is about subtraction and subtle depressions. They catch the light in opposite ways, if you get my drift... I will try to post pics of my Chap family soon. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King