Best Spyderco EDC for under $150

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

jackthedog wrote:Any chance you'd have the opportunity to handle any of the knives? That can make a big difference and maybe save you the hassle of getting a knife you don't end up liking.
Yeah, that's the problem. The only knives I can actually get my hands on in any store close to me are the Delica, Endura, Tenacious and Native. I am reliant on youtube and the great info I get from here.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Para2 if you would like significantly more handle and a thicker edge geometry or one of the Caly series if you would like a little more shapely handle and a thinner edge geometry. My Caly's came thin which makes them excel at being super sharp and sharpening quickly.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

The Manix 2 with G-10 grips. Or the XL if you want big. I carry the original Manix, and sometimes the Manix 80mm, and they have been my favorite EDC for years.
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

dgebler wrote:Where???? I want one!
Check Amazon. The Techno was around $150 last I checked.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If you want a different 3" bladed knife, that is one thing. If you want a bigger knife that is an entirely different thing. I carry a Para2 for work, but revert to a Delica in dressy clothes. If I always wore only suits I'd probably get another slim knife, fancier than an FRN Delica, but about the same size. If I always wore jeans, then the little knife would see not a lot of pocket time.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

spydieman wrote:The Manix 2 with G-10 grips.
This. Definitely.
acer

Post by acer »

Para 2.
Revival

Post by Revival »

- Sage 1
- Sage 2
- Native 5
- PM 2
Shecki

Post by Shecki »

Love my Sage2. Perfect size (for me anyway). I use it as a hard user and I work in a sand and gravel pit. Cuts great, carries great, nice and light and the clip is great. Just my .02.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para2 or increase your budget and get a Southard.In my opinion Southard is a fantastic allarounder.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Para 2 without a doubt. If I could only have one knife that would be the one to beat.
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

akaAK wrote:Para 2 without a doubt. If I could only have one knife that would be the one to beat.
I hear that a lot. The only thing holding me back on a Para 2 is that I work in an office setting and I might like something a little more low profile. I do carry a Tenacious (maybe the best $30 I have ever spent) occasionally (mostly on the weekends when I'm working on projects), and that is probably the biggest folder (in the pocket) that I'd like to carry. I'm not sure how the Para 2 stacks up to it from a size standpoint. I think they are close, right?

Originally, I was pretty set on the new Sage 3 CF....but I figured I'd open up the search a bit.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 is the best edc Spyderco makes at any price period
Revival

Post by Revival »

Lowcald wrote:I hear that a lot. The only thing holding me back on a Para 2 is that I work in an office setting and I might like something a little more low profile. I do carry a Tenacious (maybe the best $30 I have ever spent) occasionally (mostly on the weekends when I'm working on projects), and that is probably the biggest folder (in the pocket) that I'd like to carry. I'm not sure how the Para 2 stacks up to it from a size standpoint. I think they are close, right?

Originally, I was pretty set on the new Sage 3 CF....but I figured I'd open up the search a bit.
If you can carry a Tenacious, you definitely can carry a PM2. The PM2 is more slim in the pocket and looks more office friendly than the Tenacious IMO. You would love it.

Edit: for office I would go sage 1 or caly 3
RanCoWeAla wrote:Caly 3.5 is the best edc Spyderco makes at any price period
Seems like it... Been trying to trade for one and no one wants to give it up!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Of your choices, go with the Caly3 and don't look back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is a picture of the difference in liner thickness between the Bradley Folder (GB) and most other knives. The other knife in this picture is a Sage4.

This is why it is heavier and has the feel of a very strong knife. I wouldn't treat it like I could a fixed blade but having the GB I know it will hold up to whatever hard use I'd use a folder for and then some. BTW, the Sage4 is another of my favorites and can take some pretty tough use itself IMO. I had a Sage1 also and would use the Sage4 for harder use than the Sage1. I don't think any of the Sage series knives are advertised as hard use knives like the GB and Manix2 knives are but they will hold their own on any day IMO.

Jack
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I discovered the Caly 3.5 by accident. While reading the newspaper one day a few years ago I came across this article where a guy had saved his Son's life from a Mountain Lion with his pocket knife. Then I disvovered on this forum the knife was actually a Spyderco Caly 3.5 and had to have one. Anyway had my dealer to order me one and when it came in I opened the box put it in my pocket where it's been ever since and that was over two years ago. The knife has not left my pockey since. I often wonder if I had bought the Caly 3.5 first if I had bought the Caly first would I have bought any more Spyderco's.
Nate

Post by Nate »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Caly 3.5 is the best edc Spyderco makes at any price period
Listen to this guy :)

I was a skeptic for quite a while. After seeing how popular it really is on the 3.5" EDC poll, and knowing how much I like the UKPK (basically an frn Caly 3 slip-it,) I decided to buy one. Was about to buy the vg10, but then stumbled upon a listing with two of the super blue sprints for sale. I snatched up the non-cc one right away!

I don't want to gush too much, since I've only had it 2 days and have barely even handled it, but I have a feeling that I'm really, really going to like it...

I still kind of want the black one too :D
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

A lot of great suggestions here-so I will add my opinion-which changed yesterday :D

Until yesterday I would have reommended a UKPK G10/CF to compete with the Delica but less than 24 hours ago I got my new 75mm Persian.
An awesome design, love the way it feels in hand, sized similar to the Delica, discontinued, FFG, tapers quite a bit towards the tip, finger choil.
For some time I overlooked this knife but it is definitely worth a try. I like the narrow yet thick handle and I am comfortable with the one position clip.
If your new knife should be similar to the Delica in size and blade steel yet a little different the small Persian could be an interesting candidate ...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

If the Delica fits your hand well, look at the Caly3 or 3.5. Try a Sage, any Sage! The handles are a little wider and a tad thicker, but definitely an upgrade to the Delica! Native5 G10's are scarce right now! If you want to go larger the Gayle Bradley is tough to beat, but a little on the heavy side, in a good way and not uncomfortable at all! :D