Poll: 3.5-inch EDC showdown!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite 3.5 inch EDC?

Para 2
31%
Stretch
11%
Caly 3.5
19%
Manix 2
13%
Gayle Bradley
7%
Southard
12%
Tenacious
3%
Double Bevel
1%
Nilakka
1%
"That's not a knife, that's a spoon."
3%

Total votes: 197

M80

Post by M80 »

My spoon came sharper that most of my Spydies did ;)
Invective

Post by Invective »

I had to go with the Caly 3.5 Had a Para (1 and 2), Southard and Manix and sold them all off. Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Invective wrote:I had to go with the Caly 3.5 Had a Para (1 and 2), Southard and Manix and sold them all off. Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.
Welcome to the last knife you will ever...... LOVE :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Nate

Post by Nate »

Wow, interesting results so far.

I figured the Para2 would run away with it, but after about 24hrs the Caly 3.5 has a one vote advantage! Has there been any talk of another Caly 3/3.5 sprint?

Another thought, expected to see more votes for the Manix2 (either g10 or frcp). I finally got to handle them both a couple of weeks ago and really liked the the g10 version. Wouldn't mind having one, but it will have to wait a bit.
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

I voted Para2! Absolutely love the Para2! Southard is a close second for me, but I can't wait to get the Caly 3.5. I ordered one after being on the forum and seeing how much everyone loves it.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

BT-Blades wrote:I voted Para2! Absolutely love the Para2! Southard is a close second for me, but I can't wait to get the Caly 3.5. I ordered one after being on the forum and seeing how much everyone loves it.
I like the looks of the Caly 3.5 as well. I will probably get one as soon as my wallet cools down a little bit. I've purchased 8 knives in under a month. Four of those being Spydies. Don't tell my wife. lol
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

Spydersense wrote:I like the looks of the Caly 3.5 as well. I will probably get one as soon as my wallet cools down a little bit. I've purchased 8 knives in under a month. Four of those being Spydies. Don't tell my wife. lol
Lol! I'm in the same boat, but I ONLY bought 5 knives in the past month. All :spyder: ! I pretty much have everything I've been looking at getting now, so I can let my wallet cool down as well! :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Caly3.5 for edc, GB for everything else
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Revival

Post by Revival »

I voted PM2. I have yet to see a Caly 3.5 in person. Almost purchased one today but backed off once again.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Invective wrote:Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.
Interesting you raise that one. I'd kinda thought the same thing but finally pulled the trigger on one this weekend. Should be here Wed-Thurs... I guess I'll find out! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Chief

Post by Chief »

I voted Para2 and Southard.

Interesting that you can vote for multiple choices on a "favorite" poll. :D
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I've owned 5 from that list & voted for the Para2. It's the quintessential Spyderco EDC knife IMO.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have Para 2's in s30v and M390. My s30v (HG) Manix 2 still gets more pocket time.

If I worked in a more "civilized" environment, I might go for something smaller or lighter, but for me the Manix 2 (the heavy version) is the clear winner in this category.
Holland

Post by Holland »

im surprised the para2 is still winning
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my para2. It is the knife I compare all other knives to.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don't like the Para 2 at all . Had two and got rid of both. The tip is too fragile and the lock pinched the heck out of me about every time I opened it. Don't want another one or another compression lock. I love the Caly 3.5 however
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Gotta agree with the Caly 3.5 here. I don't hate the PM2, but there is no way I could consider it a better knife than the Caly specifically for EDC purposes.
The Caly is just too easy to carry and there is nothing wrong with good ole VG-10 IMO. Only small complaint I have is difficulty closing one hand due to the good detent/auto close but again, this is one reason I don't carry my PM2's so much. It just takes one time of one opening in your pocket to make you think twice about what you want to carry.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of all the knives on that list, I'd have to vote Southard, simply because it's the only one that actually has 3.5 inches of blade and not 1/2 or so of choil. Although I do love choils, a blade is what cuts, and to me that means cutting edge, so to me a Para 2 has a 3 inch blade, not 3.5. It's really just a terminology thing I guess. I know the law might feel otherwise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

That's a good point, David. It was a somewhat arbitrary decision to go by blade length rather than cutting edge length.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Manix2, Para2, Teanciuos.. John :)
Last edited by jmh58 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)