Poll: 3.5-inch EDC showdown!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite 3.5 inch EDC?

Para 2
31%
Stretch
11%
Caly 3.5
19%
Manix 2
13%
Gayle Bradley
7%
Southard
12%
Tenacious
3%
Double Bevel
1%
Nilakka
1%
"That's not a knife, that's a spoon."
3%

Total votes: 197

Nate

Poll: 3.5-inch EDC showdown!

Post by Nate »

Para 2
Stretch
Caly 3.5
Manix 2
Gayle Bradley
Southard
Tenacious
Double Bevel
Nilakka
"That's not a knife, that's a spoon."

Scanned the catalog and tried to get everything that was close, without going over. Of the bunch, I currently only have a Para 2, but have a Stretch on pre-order and have been looking hard at the Caly 3.5 as well.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Para 2 is probably my favorite overall knife ever. But... I actually voted Caly 3.5. Specifically for EDC, it's hard to beat the Caly 3.5. It's thin, narrow, light, ergonomic, and cuts like a laser. The smaller footprint in pocket puts it slightly ahead of the Para 2 for EDC purposes.
:bug-red-white
Nate

Post by Nate »

gbelleh wrote:...for EDC, it's hard to beat the Caly 3.5. It's thin, narrow, light, ergonomic, and cuts like a laser.
Yeah, the praise for the 3.5 has it moving up my list. I have been carrying a UKPK often, the ergos really won me over for the reasons you cite. Ideally, I'd like to track down a SB sprint, but the 3.5's seem to be harder to find than the 3's...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

gbelleh wrote:The Para 2 is probably my favorite overall knife ever. But... I actually voted Caly 3.5. Specifically for EDC, it's hard to beat the Caly 3.5. It's thin, narrow, light, ergonomic, and cuts like a laser. The smaller footprint in pocket puts it slightly ahead of the Para 2 for EDC purposes.
I voted for Stretch. I love my Gayle Bradley, but it is somewhat heavy for warm weather/light pants carry. I look at the Gayle Bradley as a Stretch on steroids anyway! :)
APS

Post by APS »

Stretch for me. I prefer a backlock and the Caly handle is just too narrow for me.
Adam
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I can't pick one, I like these knives a lot(not in any order):
Southard
Caly 3.5
Stretch
Gayle Brad
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I couldn't pick just one. I voted Caly 3.5 with a second place to the Manix 2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
earthman

Post by earthman »

My vote is for the Manix 2,.....Para 2 is extremely close behind it. :)
LDphifty

Post by LDphifty »

i put up a post yesterday asking about people's preferences on a few of the knives listed above. i will be following this thread closely. thanks Apophis.
Nate

Post by Nate »

LD,

I can't lie, your thread was the inspiration for this poll, so thank you too!
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Depends on the day and cutting tasks, but for solid built do it all I'd say Southard.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Unless I'm heading into Greenville, where there's a 3" blade limit, there's a Stretch in my back pocket. Some days it's the FRN VG-10 version, some days it's an original SS/Kraton VG-10 one that STR customized with lignum vitae scales over titanium liners, some days its a bolstered cocobolo prototype, and lately it could be one of the two Nishijin GF VG-10 Damascus versions. Been carrying the blue one today.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I went with the Caly 3.5. If I didn't have to work, that might change to the Para 1-2 as I prefer the Compression lock.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Stretch SE. FFG and teeth FTW!!!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I voted Southard, its a great knife!
Next for me would be the Tenacious, followed by the Manix 2.
These are the only three that I have from your list.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
MAM

Post by MAM »

I chose "spoon". Mainly because I no longer carry knives that small. I gave them all away or sold them. My favorite spydies are the military and xl manix2
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I only have experience with 2 of these knives so far. I voted Para 2, but love the Manix 2 as well.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

As it was said before, while the Para2 might the best overall knife in modern cutlery, the Caly 3.5 is way more efficient specifically for EDC tasks.

Hands down. :cool:
Stay Sharp!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

For EDC I think the PM2 is best. It is slim and light. I like the Tenacious too and it is a good choice for someone with a smaller budget. I like the Manix 2 for times when I think I might need a tougher knife. I don't know that it really is tougher than the PM2 but it feels tougher.

For me personally, I automatically disregard all of the models with lockbacks and/or FRN.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The Deacon wrote:Unless I'm heading into Greenville, where there's a 3" blade limit, there's a Stretch in my back pocket. Some days it's the FRN VG-10 version, some days it's an original SS/Kraton VG-10 one that STR customized with lignum vitae scales over titanium liners, some days its a bolstered cocobolo prototype, and lately it could be one of the two Nishijin GF VG-10 Damascus versions. Been carrying the blue one today.
Deacon, I saw the picture of that bolstered cocobola stretch you have. Is that the prototype you mention here? If it is, when is that thing going to be released, because I want one BAD!? :)