Which Byrds really stand out?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderTaco

Which Byrds really stand out?

Post by SpyderTaco »

New member here. The only Byrd knife I own is a meadowlark hawkbill. I love it. The performance to price level is amazing. When I bought it, I didn't want to shell out the money for a Tasman when I didn't know how I'd even like a hawkbill.

Anyways, I know I want to pick up a Cara Cara 2 with both a rescue blade and probably the G10 model as well.

Nothing else I have seen REALLY stands out as something I must have. Does anyone have additional recommendations?
My Spyders : Endura wave PE, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious PE, Persistence PE(gifted), byrd Hawkbill SE, Cricket(lost)
Wish list: Yojimbo, Cricket, Delia FFG, Street Bowie, Police 3

-Adam
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

My first Byrd model was their Wings model and, like you, was surprised at the build quality! Very stout knife but probably should buy a belt sheath for it! Take care over there and I would get out now if possible!!! :eek:
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Taco,

Wecome to our forum.

sal
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

The byrd Harrier always stuck out to me. I've alwYs really really wanted one for a gentlemens knife but I always get outbid on eBay it's frustrating. Maybe Santa can find me the harrier it's truly a beautiful knife thanks sal for making it.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
M80

Post by M80 »

The only byrds that caught my attention were the FlatByrd FireByrd and ByrdRench.
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Hello.

I have a Hawkbill now and two of my favorites are Cara Cara Rescue and PE G-10. So we have same preferences.

Regards.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I think the Robin stands out. Mainly for being small and somewhat cute. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think the Wings Slipit is the finest Byrd made. The F & F on this knife is amazing for the price point. I also like the Tern. I have gifted several Meadowlarks and Caras and the G-10 models are well appreciated.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Already thinked about cheat EDC (actually Cara Cara 2 G10), but taken chinese Enlan 04 MCT with axis lock and macarta from ebay under 20 bucks with shiping.
Because already own Tenacious and Persistence and not sure or I can accept a lower quality than these two.
Build quality and sharp out of box, better than Spydie. :(
In future blades and liners will be stonewashed and drilled Spydie Hole.
Last edited by BronislovasLTU on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Wings SlipIt is more beautiful than anything in its price range should be. I want to replace the inserts on mine with CF or a nice hardwood eventually. It is about the closest thing to a nice Case folder but with hole openers and one
blade serrated. Totally nonthreatening, a hard worker and the stubby tips laugh at concrete (dropped one point down and didn't see anything but a little concrete dust to brush off). The regular Wings is a steal as well but a bit bulky (it comes with a pouch and a clip so you can decide how to carry it).

The G10 Cara Cara, Meadowlark and Robin are great looking (milled backspacer is a beautiful touch) and some folks prefer them to their spydie counterparts. I've owned G10 Cara Caras and Robins and a stainless Cara Cara and while the steel is inferior and the super steel options aren't there, I'd trust them to be just as reliable and similarly durable.

The Firebyrd is a great camping tool that has a modest blade but is possibly the best bottle opener I own. also a perfect roll of nickles if need be in self defense.

The ByrdWrench is very cool and one of the more techy looking multitools. Codesigned by a rocket scientist.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Bronis,

I think Spyderco / Byrd 8Cr are run better than Enlan. I have them too and my use doesn't go that heavy, checkout Youtube by Ruslan Kiyasov. He compared Tenacious with EL02.
Invective

Post by Invective »

The only Byrd I have is a Flatbyrd and it is an amazing lightweight knife. I slip it in my pocket and then will forget it's there. I didn't like the shallow hollow grind so I reground it to flat grind and it is much better. The 8Cr13MoV is amazing as well. Takes a super keen edge and the FlatByrd is light enough that I wouldn't use it for anything too demanding.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Oh you already have some Spyderco knives, well the only Byrd that got my attention was the Robyn2 G10 great little knife heavy duty for its size, great ergonomics. Can't go wrong with that one IMO.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Captain Mendoza

Re: Which Byrds really stand out?

Post by Captain Mendoza »

IMO, the standouts in the Byrd line are the fully-serrated FRN models. Lightweight, dependable, massive cutting power, low maintenance, high value.

Wish there were FRN-FFG-SE CaraCara and Meadowlark versions available.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Outstanding?

Pelican stainless steel handled CE!
No other knife I own locks as secure, it almost feels like a fixed blade when open!
The only downside is the tip touching the handle when closed, mine gets almost tanto-fied by grinding off the folded/deformed tip.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Captain Mendoza wrote:Wish there were FRN-FFG-SE CaraCara and Meadowlark versions available.
I agree with this one enough that I bought a partially serrated FRN Meadowlark with the intent to reshape the blade into a fully serrated semi-wharncliffe.

As for the Enlans, SRMs, and Ganzos - I'll take a Byrd over any of them for the vastly superior ergonomics, better quality control, infinitely better customer service, and better steel heat treatment. The knives I've had from all three have been nice, well made, and generally more aesthetically pleasing than the Byrds, but none of them have lasted more than a day or two as my work knife due to ergonomic issues.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
hitler

Post by hitler »

this is a good post
imran
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sdadalus, hitler,

Welcome to our forum.

Captain Mendoza,

We're going to try to make a full flat Raven and Crow models. It's part of an upgrade plan that we're trying. They will also be using USA steel (CTS-BD1). We'll see how that goes and pay attention to you guys think.

sal
endgame

Post by endgame »

: my fav are the crow and raven plus the firbyrd so many people comment it and want one.I like the crow and raven with the aluminun scales the best.wood or ti scales would be sweeeeet.the aluminum handle crow and "s" are the knived that got me into soyderco.a crow ffg with diff scales.im buying one or two!
sal

Post by sal »

Once we're confident that the new revisions for the Raven and Crow are ok, then we can play. This particular maker is also a knife afi so just about anything is possible including Damascus.

sal