First knife for my girlfriend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

I gave my wife her first knife also recently. But knew it had to be "cute". Which meant pink.
So it was between the Squeak and the dragonfly. Nice mid-size to small, lightweight.

I choice the Dragonfly. I too got that not too excited look, and a laugh (more of chuckle).
I got the yes I will use phase once in while. It was dropped in her purse, and I have not seen or heard about it since.

Oh well.... at least we tried.
Blue Possum
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

My daughter really loves her Dragonfly tattoo. Don't think she realized what a cutting demon this small "cute" knife would be.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Over the course of a 1.5 year relationship I gave my ex the Chaparral 1 and 2 as well as a nice abalone Case. She dumped me! Haha.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

How about the pink Native? That knife would be ideal, size and weight wise I think? :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ABX2011 wrote:Over the course of a 1.5 year relationship I gave my ex the Chaparral 1 and 2 as well as a nice abalone Case. She dumped me! Haha.
Ouch. :( Sorry to hear that.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
raven

Post by raven »

My wife scares people :D ... She has a small knife collection of her own :p . I think it's funny when she pulls her ZT 0350 from her back pocket :D :D. She's A Keeper ;) .

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Knivesinedc wrote:Nice decison. I dont know if id buy one of those for my GF(If I had one) Just because I'm a steel snob. I'm Not like super Snobly with steel I just prefer to give people something with a little more MMhhmm too it ya know? :p The girl I like is scared of knives to but she said she would try not to slice all her fingers off so I started her off with a Grasshopper. I think I'm going to get her a Ladybug next, then probably a Delica FFG in Green cause green is her favorite color :D Also, I do believe, Steel aside, that the blade on the Elk Ridge is the exact same on on my CRKT drifter. I was studying the angles and grind and the jimping and its exactly the same. Interesting hehe
I checked it out and compared it to my Drifter ;)
The grinds are almost the same, but overall blade length and width are different.
But the Drifter might very well be the inspiration for this Elk Ridge :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

My wife carries and uses her orange D'fly at work all the time....and she has several others as well..she has told me that if I ever get her a pink knife, she'll kick my ***..lol.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
raven

Post by raven »

BDNX wrote:she has told me that if I ever get her a pink knife, she'll kick my ***..lol.
My wife told me the same thing :D :p ... My wife is definitely not a pink color type female.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ha! My wife hates pink too.
:bug-red-white
pir4te

Post by pir4te »

my blue g-10 persistence got commandeered
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gbelleh wrote:Ha! My wife hates pink too.
Same here. She prefers carbon fiber or titanium. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

My girlfriend carries a pink native around. It HAD to be pink.
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

I got the lady one of these, (in pink). She liked it at first until she hard a hard time closing it and nearly took her thumb off (or so she thought). She has a hard time grasping the concept of the framelock, and that you dont push on the blade until the lockbar is out of the way.

No frame or liner locks for her :/

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

dishcore wrote:I got the lady one of these, (in pink). She liked it at first until she hard a hard time closing it and nearly took her thumb off (or so she thought). She has a hard time grasping the concept of the framelock, and that you dont push on the blade until the lockbar is out of the way.

I know the feeling...
Withing the first minute of trying to close the liner,
even though she knows how they work, she almost cut herself and pricked her thumb on the tip... :confused: :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My fiancee likes her Cara Cara Rescue SE. Locking, but the lock is not in the way of travel, and the SE will keep cutting no matter what she does with it. I find often that the girls I've known have liked a locking serrated knife, as it cuts reliably, they probably aren't looking to whittle or do food prep with them, doesn't get appreciably dull for a very long time. The girls I date are typically not squeamish about knives or very concerned about what people think of them, but they do not have the obsessive interest in maintaining the knives or obtaining the best possible knife for each situation, etc. Just one knife that does what they need day to day will do.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
earthman

Post by earthman »

dishcore wrote:I got the lady one of these, (in pink). She liked it at first until she hard a hard time closing it and nearly took her thumb off (or so she thought). She has a hard time grasping the concept of the framelock, and that you dont push on the blade until the lockbar is out of the way.

Got to get her a slip joint then? Maybe one with a finger choil to provide a bit of safety for in hand use.
Revival

Post by Revival »

My girlfriend kept using my ladybug while at home because my keys are always in the living room. I got her a purple ladybug and told her stop using mine. She loves it. She also has her own Izula.
M2P

Post by M2P »

eric m. wrote:How about the pink Native? That knife would be ideal, size and weight wise I think? :)
I love it ! ;)
But I think more about a little cute pink Dragonfly, no ? And if she does'nt like pink, it may be in Yellow/Orange/black/british racing green ...!
I cannot wear a EDC in France, but the one I often have is the Dragonfly, not too big, cute, and awesome !
Plain Edge Friendly !
Favorite ones : 1- Native (+ Poliwog) 2- C42 H.Viele 3- J.S.Khalsa & Dragonfly
~~ Looking for Native 5 FRN Brown Operation Inherent Resolve
C41BN5
~~
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My wife's knife is the pink squeak. She loves the light weight and lack of 'finicky' locks. And the blade is just the right size for opening stuff or cutting off tags. I learned that it's best to let her try a bunch of different designs, to see what works for her. I've given her a few spydies over the years, but she finally just tried out a bunch of knives from my collection and the Squeak just fit her needs and carry habits best. The fact that it came in pink was a nice bonus.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram