Quartermaster knives ripping off Mantis?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Quartermaster knives ripping off Mantis?

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Has anyone heard of them? I ask because I was browsing the web and found this
http://www.quartermasterknives.com/qtr1_hmmurdock.html

Now, I'm not very familiar with Mantis knives, but the above knife looked close enough to the Tough Tony that I figured I'd search, and sure enough
http://mantisknives.com/Product%20Zoom/ ... hTony.html

They're the same knife, save for changing out one weird pivot for the other... Does anyone know if they are owned by the same company, or is one plagiarizing the other?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna guess and say the Mantis is the original design, and the Quartermaster is the "copy", but it sounds as though it's copied with permission.
With the original designer’s permission, we’re producing limited numbers of the QTR-1 “H.M. Murdock” and we’re excited to show enthusiasts around the Country what a little extra ingenuity will do to the performance of an already exceptional knife design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Honestly, in the case of Mantis, I couldn't care less.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

This was covered over on BF, most agree that "Quatermaster" is just a Mantis off-shoot.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rtermaster
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

46Alpha wrote:This was covered over on BF, most agree that "Quatermaster" is just a Mantis off-shoot.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rtermaster
That's my thinking. Quartermaster is the Pontiac of GM. They market a slightly fancier Camaro and call it a Firebird and sell the same car for a little more money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Is copying a copy still copy??
Mantis blatantly ripped of the Minipocket Rocket (i love that name!) and named it like the pit boss and listed it as 154cm/s30v/440v/cpm154 (Got caught with it not being it) now quatermaster is doing it again. I am not sure what to think about it.

I am probably going with it is the same company just trying to do poor business ethics.
I will post the shane siberts custom version picture of the production model that was ripped off (Not sure if its cool to post competitions blades on here)
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Chipped Karambit wrote:Is copying a copy still copy??
Mantis blatantly ripped of the Minipocket Rocket (i love that name!) and named it like the pit boss and listed it as 154cm/s30v/440v/cpm154 (Got caught with it not being it) now quatermaster is doing it again. I am not sure what to think about it.

I am probably going with it is the same company just trying to do poor business ethics.
I will post the shane siberts custom version picture of the production model that was ripped off (Not sure if its cool to post competitions blades on here)
Eh, It's off topic.. It's fine. The "100% usa made" is a great selling point though for the Quartermaster knives, despite what business ethics they're practicing.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Eh, It's off topic.. It's fine. The "100% usa made" is a great selling point though for the Quartermaster knives, despite what business ethics they're practicing.
I agree. It makes them easier to pursue legally if things aren't legit. ;)
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Eh, It's off topic.. It's fine. The "100% usa made" is a great selling point though for the Quartermaster knives, despite what business ethics they're practicing.
I seriously doubt that with their past business ethics. They have been caught lying about steel and production before. it just seems like there is something up. Especially looking at the prices. CPM154cm steel blade at 5mm thick (hinders mid techs are around there and hit 400s) and a 58-60 hrc at 88 bucks(probably 75 bucks bladehq), some things dont add up. Especially since it is made in america then a knife that has 3 thumbstuds??? or a subliminal lock?? it locks in your mind not in real life I guess /=

just a thought, when I see CPM154(thats more expensive then154cm) at 5mm thick blade stock heat treated to 58-60 hrc, and it isn't triple digits from other retailers after they provide a lower price then the site?? Some MASSIVE red flags go up. (also consider American wage)
sonoii

Post by sonoii »

piet.s wrote:honestly, in the case of mantis, i couldn't care less.
:d
sonoii

Post by sonoii »

piet.s wrote:honestly, in the case of mantis, i couldn't care less.
:d
Flipinbean

Post by Flipinbean »

Jared worked for Mantis . Gary was a silent owner running another company of his own . Jared fell out with Gary
Moved to Texas and started qtr before hand

This is the address...............Because nothing says your more American than Texas

And the Video for the same exact house which is just that ..............A house

http://youtu.be/Wtis_yD-Yp0

He took some designs that I don't know if they were his but that's neither here nor there

http://portexaminer.com/trade-data/waye ... a36l64504/

There's a lot of inconsistent information that wasn't matching up with his story that I was hearing

I don't care if he's making knives or what ever but don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining

Also his girlfriends name is LEEann PRICE
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
There's a yt video on QMK from shot show showing a new model that is derived from Spydercos Massad Ayoub folder, and also a redesign of Kershaws G&G Hawks E.T. design.
They do mention both companies.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Flipinbean

Post by Flipinbean »

Yea Jared and two other entities fronted the money and bought back the et patent
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I always come down to a conflict of buying cheap knives from a maker I don't know as well. Same logic as spending a ton of money to the same place; the comparable Spydies are so tempting.

The only non-Spydie I've purchased and liked as much as most of its holed-siblings was a Falkniven PXL. I suspect Al Mar knives would be another fave but haven't gone there yet. Those companies share something with Spyderco though: Moki.