First knife for my girlfriend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

First knife for my girlfriend

Post by DutchBlades »

After having my girlfriend tolerate my knife obsession for almost 3 years, decided she needs atleast one herself (even though she's scared of them :p ).
Got this one as a random surprise present, as girly as it gets... SS PE Endura 4 as size reference.

Elk Ridge ER-147 in metallic pink and silver, 440 steel, liner lock, mirror polished blade and sheeple friendly!

What do you guys/girls think?

:spyder:
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
earthman

Post by earthman »

You maybe better off with a SAK, my wife likes a Classic, she finds the scissors, nail file come in very useful, it's a very small & light package so she will actually carry it in her handbag. :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Good luck. My wife is scared of knives too. I gave her a Ladybug a couple years ago, and she never used it once. It's long lost now. She'd rather struggle with using her fingernails or keys anyway.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Good luck :) !

I'm going to try a pink Squeak eventually. I got a black one for Christmas and love it.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Was wondering what to get, thought about the pink Victorinox Classic (not sd --> driver tip instead of nail cleaning thing) or the purple ladybug.
But decided to take a more "general" knife, standard folder.
Gave it an hour or so ago, wasn't too excited, didn't know what to do with it or how to close it xD

Hope she'll use it from time to time, atleast she likes the color :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

gbelleh wrote:Good luck. My wife is scared of knives too. I gave her a Ladybug a couple years ago, and she never used it once. It's long lost now. She'd rather struggle with using her fingernails or keys anyway.
That's a shame... Ladybugs are great little back-up EDC's...
Ah well, can't win em all :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

earthman wrote:You maybe better off with a SAK, my wife likes a Classic, she finds the scissors, nail file come in very useful, it's a very small & light package so she will actually carry it in her handbag. :)
I was thinking about getting the pink Classic (regular, not SD).
But decided to take a more standard folder.
She will get a SAK someday, maybe a Wenger fingernail clipper , check it out if you don't know it ;)
Pretty useful for a lady and technically still a knife...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

My wife isn't nearly as dainty as most women, but still loves pink. This is the only pic I have on hand and is a great size comparison. Just last week, she told me a story about how she whipped it out in the women's locker room at our gym to cut the tag off a dress. Didn't think a thing of it until she caught the NKP stares.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

gbelleh wrote:Good luck. My wife is scared of knives too. I gave her a Ladybug a couple years ago, and she never used it once. It's long lost now. She'd rather struggle with using her fingernails or keys anyway.
My girlfriend wields a 10" Chef's knife with ease and no worries. I hand her my Southard or PM2 though and she gets scared. It puzzles me greatly.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

earthman wrote:You maybe better off with a SAK, my wife likes a Classic, she finds the scissors, nail file come in very useful, it's a very small & light package so she will actually carry it in her handbag. :)
+1 MY wife has a pink Victorinox Classic on her keyring.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Syncharmony wrote:My girlfriend wields a 10" Chef's knife with ease and no worries. I hand her my Southard or PM2 though and she gets scared. It puzzles me greatly.
My wife is equally scared of kitchen knives. I bought a nice set a couple years ago too, but she insists on using the same old, dull, serrated steak knives to cut everything. :confused:
:bug-red-white
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

The Elk Ridge has a cool design. The color isn't my style though. My Girlfriend likes knives and guns like me. Not to the extent that I do, but she appreciates them. She carries a Blue G10 Persistence.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Syncharmony wrote:My girlfriend wields a 10" Chef's knife with ease and no worries. I hand her my Southard or PM2 though and she gets scared. It puzzles me greatly.
That sounds waaaaay too familiar xD
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

My wife got started with a small SAK, she has now stolen my spin and ocelot (she likes the paw prints). She has also got a pink delica (gift).

She actually likes my knife habits as she can buy gifts for me with literally no risk I won't like them.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

akaAK wrote:My wife got started with a small SAK, she has now stolen my spin and ocelot (she likes the paw prints). She has also got a pink delica (gift).

She actually likes my knife habits as she can buy gifts for me with literally no risk I won't like them.
Knives are always awesome presents :D
From SAK to fixed blades and from folders to neck knives.
Every knife has something great and unique :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I bought my wife a purple ladybug for Christmas, pretty sure it's on top of her dresser still in it's package. She's "scared" of it, lol.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

How about a pink PM2... ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

My wife likes regular EDC-size blades and SPyderco's "Lil Big Knives." For instance, she has a couple variants of the Cricket and regularly carries a Poliwog.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Nice decison. I dont know if id buy one of those for my GF(If I had one) Just because I'm a steel snob. I'm Not like super Snobly with steel I just prefer to give people something with a little more MMhhmm too it ya know? :p The girl I like is scared of knives to but she said she would try not to slice all her fingers off so I started her off with a Grasshopper. I think I'm going to get her a Ladybug next, then probably a Delica FFG in Green cause green is her favorite color :D Also, I do believe, Steel aside, that the blade on the Elk Ridge is the exact same on on my CRKT drifter. I was studying the angles and grind and the jimping and its exactly the same. Interesting hehe
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A lot of it depends on personal preferences, intended uses, and how comfortable she is with the knife. For instance, my wife EDC's a small Persian (78 mm blade) and really likes it. It's a little bit big for her to carry in her pocket, but it fits nicely in her purse. ;) She also has a Ladybug SE (white FRN) that she carries on occasion (thanks again, Vaisforlovers! :) ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal