My first SPYDERCO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

It is a good choice?

Yes
95%
No. ( post your option )
5%

Total votes: 58

Ruben

My first SPYDERCO

Post by Ruben »

Hello everyone, my name is Ruben and I am Portuguese, I signed up on the forum to be able to ask some questions ... Already I congratulate you for having an amazing forum ....

My first question, I like to buy a quality and small utilitary knife...
I'm thinking in a spyderco dragonfly 2...What you say? what is your opinion?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Welcome Ruben! Dragonfly 2 is a GREAT first Spyderco...go for it, dude! Lots of quality people & high quality information here.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
redfeenix

Post by redfeenix »

Whats your budget?

Low - Persistence/Ambitious

Mid - Dragonfly 2

High - Chaparral

The Chaparral CF in my opinion is the definitive EDC Spyderco have ever made. Amazing materials and tolerances, the Dragonfly is not bad either. If you do get the Dragonfly, get the G-10 version.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is short, so buy knives while you can!:D

:spyder: Chaparral CF, Sage 1,Delica 4, Black Caly Jr ZDP (2x), Black Caly Jr. Spyderedge, Burgundy Caly Jr, Gray Caly Jr, Air, Native 5 Ti, Native 5 Forum 2013, Smallfly :spyder:
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

A very good choice for a first Spyderco. I own an early model Dragonfly and love it for it's small size but excellent cutting ability compared to the size.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ruben,
Welcome to the Forum.
IMHO Dragonfly is a very good choice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Leon

Post by Leon »

Welcome to the forum :)
It's not long since I was choosing my first spyderco as well, probably around 2-3 months ago
I went with the Delica4, but now I also own an orange FRN dragondly 2
Love them both, it's just a matter of size preference
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Welcome! Good choice, also look at the Delica.

My first was a Byrd Meadowlark (China made Delica) and the rest is history...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted yes. All of the Dragonfly models are terrific first spydies. A word of caution, the D'fly 2 is a gateway spyderco that will eventually lead to more 50/50 choil designs and more $. Enjoy your first purchase, whatever you may decide. Honorable mention goes to the Kopa (discontinued) and Caly Jr. (also discontinued) if you choose to hunt for them on the secondary market. They are worth the hunt.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! the dragonfly is a classic spyderco design and everyone should own one :D i cant say anything bad about it. I take the clip off of mine and carry them loosely in the pocket. I often forget im even carrying one :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

redfeenix wrote:Whats your budget?

Low - Persistence/Ambitious

Mid - Dragonfly 2

High - Chaparral

The Chaparral CF in my opinion is the definitive EDC Spyderco have ever made. Amazing materials and tolerances, the Dragonfly is not bad either. If you do get the Dragonfly, get the G-10 version.
The chaparral is my favourite knife, so ill agree with you there. But for the dfly, i would recommend going with the FRN model. Its a lot lighter and a better bang for your buck imo. If you want to spend the premium, i would recommend the ZDP189 Dfly :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Hi and welcome Ruben!

The Dragonfly is a tremendous knife, it is very small but very useful. I just bought one to have it as a secondary knife and I carry it and use it a lot. Considering your proximity to the ocean maybe H1?

Here is the DF H1 next to a Caly3, the Caly3 is a little bigger but with a similar platform, it has a choil and is very light and comfortable.lf you want to go a little bigger I think it would also be a good choice.

Mick

Post by Mick »

Great first knife! The Dragonfly was my first Spydie purchase back in the 90's, and the rest is history - I've lost count of how many Spyderco knives I know own. :D
Revival

Post by Revival »

Welcome to the forums. The Dragonfly is an excellent choice! The next question is which Dragonfly..... :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Revival wrote:Welcome to the forums. The Dragonfly is an excellent choice! The next question is which Dragonfly..... :D
H1 would be smart to consider based on geographic
-Spencer

Rotation:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is a great choice. If you want a full size grip then a delica may be another great option. Doesn't cost much more and has a full grip.
Holland

Post by Holland »

bearfacedkiller wrote:That is a great choice. If you want a full size grip then a delica may be another great option. Doesn't cost much more and has a full grip.
I have large hands and I find the dfly more ergonomical than the delica
-Spencer

Rotation:
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Sorry to be the lone disagreement, but I would not vote for this as a first Spyderco. I have one and it is a great little knife, but I personally am not in love with the ergo's. I find that the thumb hole is a little awkward for me to open easily and it just isn't as natural for me as the delica or caly or others. This is a great knife, but out of my own collection of 20 spyderco's this is one of my least favorite.

I know for many this is a great design and i have respect for the LBK approach, but this one is just not for me.

-Drew
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If I could only keep one folder, the Dragonfly would be on the short list. The only other knives I'd consider as my only folder would be much larger.

I think the Dragonfly sounds like a great choice. Salt if you are frequently in or around the ocean, VG-10 if you're not, ZDP if it's within your budget.

The other great thing about the Dragonfly is that it's small and light enough that you can add a larger knife to carry for some occasions and still keep the dragonfly on you all the time.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the dragonfly because it is a big blade in a small package and carries very easily but for me the delica just fits me better. I don't think one is better than the other but they are a bit different. I am a big fan of thumb ramps but am fairly indifferent when it comes to choils. A lot of people really like choils. The dragonfly is a knife that requires me to choke up on the blade and use the choil. I prefer a grip that puts the blade out in front of my hand a little more most of the time. It is all just personal preference really. I have average size hands. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted yes. The Dfly is a great knife and will serve you just fine as a first Spyderco and will no doubt get you into buying more of them. I would also suggest a Stretch, Caly 3 or 3.5, Sage (any of them), Centofante 3, Para 2, Manix 2, just to name a few great knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David