Cruwear Military Diagnosis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pdptrow

Cruwear Military Diagnosis

Post by pdptrow »

Guys,
I need to ask about the blade on my Cruwear Military. I have seen the one on the other thread. http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ht=cruwear
Mine has weird areas of discoloration(?) not consistent with the rest of the blade. I am baffled by this but wonder what it is. Maybe different grits used while grinding? This is straight from an online dealer, I have not done anything to the blade other than apply light oil. That seems to show what i see more. One side seems to follow the handle contour or it is just coincidence and the other side is different. Let me know what you think it is and if any Spyderco crew reads this and has an explanation please reply. I don't know if it need to be sent back or what. Thanks. So here are the pics:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .40.37.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .42.19.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .43.05.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .43.46.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .44.32.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .46.19.jpg
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Doesn't look like it would be from the grinding process. Have you tried wiping it down with alcohol or acetone to clean any potential residue off the blade?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Cruwear will oxidize, i.e. rust. The grind lines are consistent through areas of lighter color and darker. Often oxidation will take a darker color when oiled or wet. What oxidizing agent (water vapor, sweaty handling etc.) or how often before you bought the blade, may not be possible to know at this point. I agree it looks like only the exposed blade is affected. You may be able to polish this to a cleaner state and prevent further discoloration with oil. As soon as a blade is done, oxidation begins in some form or other. If used as intended a patina will occur to a greater or lesser degree based on your efforts to prevent it.

the idea of residue is a good one too.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I am not a knife M.D. but I play one on TV...but it looks as if the discoloration follows the contour of the scales ( more or less ) when the blade is in a closed condition. My preliminary diagnosis is residual contamination via direct physical contact while blade was in closed position resulting in secondary acute oxidation. Treatment: gentle wipe down with mild solvent such as mineral spirits or acetone. If initial treatment fails send to Golden Trauma & acute care center, stat. Prognosis: excellent. In plain english, it looks like some unknown substance touched your blade when it was closed when it was in the retailer's possession and or shipping to you which caused a mild surface patina. Contact with wet/sweaty pants or similar could also initiate a patina like Mike stated above. Try a mild careful wipedown with the solvents mentioned in the other posts & if that doesn't work send it to Spyderco, they'll fix it...good luck & keep us updated!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Looks like it may be stained.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mine had a similar thing going on and I couldn't get rid of it. Then I used some rubbing alcohol and it went away. Let us know if this works!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Looks like oil, try acetone, alcohol or nail polish remover. Since it isn't stainless Spyderco will probably have coated it with some type of oil to prevent corrosion.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It looks to me like something was cut which wiped off the oil from the area of the blade which had been used. I'd say try oiling or siliconing or paste waxing the blade before any further measures are taken. The bottom part of the blade looks dry and the top looks normal looking to me. I can't be sure though as it's not in my hands. Don't try anything drastic though.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I would try alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl) first before acetone/nail polish remover. Neither approach should technically damage the blade steel, but alcohol would be a bit gentler approach. Avoid vinegar and acidic items as you might inadvertently patina the blade. My two cents, FWIW.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
cckw

Post by cckw »

Great photography by the way. What you see has nothing to do with grind, it happened later. Can you send it back and exchange it with the dealer? Not out of line at all to request that. For someone who is just going to use the knife there is no problem, but sounds like you are more the collector type.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

One of my green para's came with that. My m390 milli had some too. I cant remember how i got it off.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

You oiled it and then touch it with your hand when it was closed - it is pretty clear from the marks on the blade.
Part with you touch has less or no oil, part of the blade which was inside handle has more oil. Thin layer of oil
change blade surface a little and make it appear different. Nothing wrong with your blade.

You may re oil it or take oil off.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm not much help, but if u just use it, it will eventually develop more patina and it will not be as noticeable :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

I wiped it off with Isopropyl and it cleaned it off apparently, but, if you breath on it or re-oil the blade it shows up again like the first pictures. Since it is non-stainless it will have be protected then it will be noticeable. I am going to contact the dealer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/446 ... .42.02.jpg
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Quick update. The sale was past the 30 days the dealer would accept so I emailed Spyderco about warranty and they suggested trying Flitz to clean the blade. Not finding Flitz locally I googled and found quite a few people use and like Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish which I could get locally. So I tried that and after a couple of minutes it was cleaned of all the whatever residue/ tarnish. I wiped the Mothers off and cleaned it again with Isoprropyl then oiled the Cruwear blade and the whole blade is just great. Problem solved, it looks all the same even when oiled. Thanks for all the input.
Paul
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

It follows the curviture of the scales...interesting...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

pdptrow wrote:Quick update. The sale was past the 30 days the dealer would accept so I emailed Spyderco about warranty and they suggested trying Flitz to clean the blade. Not finding Flitz locally I googled and found quite a few people use and like Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish which I could get locally. So I tried that and after a couple of minutes it was cleaned of all the whatever residue/ tarnish. I wiped the Mothers off and cleaned it again with Isoprropyl then oiled the Cruwear blade and the whole blade is just great. Problem solved, it looks all the same even when oiled. Thanks for all the input.
Glad your story has a happy ending!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
TBob

Post by TBob »

Looks like surface oxidation. The discoloration follows the scale contours, hence only occurs on the area of the blade most exposed to air, moisture, etc. Flitz is an awesome, very fine polish that simply removed that very thin surface layer of oxidized metal. Don't be surprised if the same oxidation pattern returns.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
CrazyKorean13

Post by CrazyKorean13 »

I will keep an eye on my Cruwear Millie...thanks for the post boss.