Another "Which to Buy" thread. Sorta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jmotley

Another "Which to Buy" thread. Sorta

Post by Jmotley »

There are two spyderco knives that I have to have. The super blue Caly 3.5 and the large bolstered Persian. Sadly, I missed the boat when these knives came out and I am on a budget. They seem to go for similar prices and seem to be about equally as scarce, so which do I get first? Does anyone see the price of one going up more than the other? Any chances of sprint runs of either? And of course, which do people prefer? I know the caly is much loved around here but if you had to have one, which would it be?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd say you'll get more use out of the caly, if that's important, but you really didn't indicate. To me, use, or at least pocket time, is enjoyment.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Without knowing your knife needs and uses it's hard to say, but between the two I don't see a bad choice. I prefer the Caly and the 3.5 is a great size for my uses and area. I would say that the best choice would be the one you can find first for a price that agrees with you.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Agreed, SB Caly 3.5. I vastly prefer the edge that steel takes.

Ken
玉鋼
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Those are very different knives. It depends on what you're really looking for.
Is it Super Blue steel you want? If so, there are many Super Blue sprints available right now.
Is it the Caly 3.5 design/handle shape? If so, there are G-10 and CF/ZDP versions currently available.
Is it the Persian's design? If so, there was the recent Persian sprint with red polished G-10, in addition to the original.

I agree that the Caly 3.5 is probably the more efficient all-around EDC knife, but the Persian is a true classic, and also highly useful. I'd probably try to find the Persian first, because they are long discontinued, and may be more difficult to find in good condition. But, you can't go wrong getting whichever shows up first.
:bug-red-white
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have owned the red Persian and just sold it a month or so ago. It is a beautiful knife, incredible design I must say that anyone who likes knives that ever looked at it always commented about it and loved to examine in. To carry, I found it quite heavy and the polished G10 slippery, I wasn't crazy about that particular combination of attricutes. The blade shape was not overly useful for my particular EDC but that is just my opinion.

I can't comment specifically on the 3.5 but I have a Cally 3 ZDP and I carry it often. Great ergonomics, light weight, disappears in your pocket there is really nothing I dislike about it. I love the knife and I can only imagine the 3.5 SB would be the same just a tad larger.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Thanks for the replies.
I forgot to include that I would like these knives for EDC rotation. I usually shuffle through a PM2, g10 endura, and a Delica 1. While I agree that the Caly is probably the better choice for everyday tasks I also have to agree with Gbelleh, that I should grab any Persian I see because they do seem to be getting harder to find. As far as the other super blue sprints, I wish they were full super blue instead of sandwiched. I love the look of the caly with a patina.

The funny part about my search is that it seems harder to find user versions for sale rather than pristine collection pieces.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3.5 hands down. Although I would go with stainless. I have looked at the Persian and just think the blade is over exagerated and doesn't look right in the handle because the lines of the blade and handle just don't look right in the closed position.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Persian looks just right to me. :)

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Warriors and wonders still has the red Persian in stock.

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyde ... Sprint_Run
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I bought my first C83 in August of 2006. I carry andf use it since than. Most of these years I carried it every day and I was my most used knife until about two years ago when I switch to Native5. I still carry Persian about every other day. During this time I never had a task, when cutting with Persian was an issue. Regular staff: open mail, braking down boxes on recycle days, cutting food, trimming branches.The knife has great ergos and fits into hand like a glove. Hollow grind is fairly thin and thickness of the blade behind the edge measures about the same as Calys, which are also part of my EDC. I love VG10 much more than S30V. I never had problem with slippery of my Persian. Without any doubts weight of the knife is little on the heavy side, which never was a concern for me. Original Persian was discontinued in 2004 or 2005. So may be it will be little difficult to find one. To find Red, should be easier and consider that lately e-bay prices pushing $200+ , the price on the link above looks great.
IMHO the people, who do not love Persians just never used them enough. Of course, there is no knife for everyone.
this is one of mine few years ago

little Persian love. Pictires by WhyNot

DRKBC wrote:To carry, I found it quite heavy and the polished G10 slippery, I wasn't crazy about that particular combination of attricutes. The blade shape was not overly useful for my particular EDC but that is just my opinion.
I have a Cally 3 ZDP and I carry it often.
Do you feel that polished G10 is more slippery than polished CF on Caly3? Just wondering.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That does it, I'm carrying my Persian today! :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

bh49 wrote:I bought my first C83 in August of 2006. I carry andf use it since than. Most of these years I carried it every day and I was my most used knife until about two years ago when I switch to Native5. I still carry Persian about every other day. During this time I never had a task, when cutting with Persian was an issue. Regular staff: open mail, braking down boxes on recycle days, cutting food, trimming branches.The knife has great ergos and fits into hand like a glove. Hollow grind is fairly thin and thickness of the blade behind the edge measures about the same as Calys, which are also part of my EDC. I love VG10 much more than S30V. I never had problem with slippery of my Persian. Without any doubts weight of the knife is little on the heavy side, which never was a concern for me. Original Persian was discontinued in 2004 or 2005. So may be it will be little difficult to find one. To find Red, should be easier and consider that lately e-bay prices pushing $200+ , the price on the link above looks great.
IMHO the people, who do not love Persians just never used them enough. Of course, there is no knife for everyone.
this is one of mine few years ago

little Persian love. Pictires by WhyNot

Do you feel that polished G10 is more slippery than polished CF on Caly3? Just wondering.
Oh know, it is no different it is just I found the combination of large and Heavy to be an issue. In this regard I am sure I would have liked the C105 better and probably not sold it. I found as I pulled it out of my pocket I would feel like it could slip out of my hand, the ergos were fine, I also found that to NKP it was a scary knife so I didn't carry it much. The Cally is so light, I find the ergos better for me and although some people are scared of any knife, I don't find the looks if it to be an issue for most people actually most be just comment what a beautiful knife it is.
Holland

Post by Holland »

This thread makes me want a g10 lil Persian really badly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

gbelleh wrote:That does it, I'm carrying my Persian today! :D
I will tomorrow
DRKBC wrote:In this regard I am sure I would have liked the C105 better and probably not sold it.
I owned several several C105 (still have two different) and tried hard to love them, which never happened. I like the look, but this is it.
Holland wrote:This thread makes me want a g10 lil Persian really badly
IMHO Persian2 and Persian are two totally different knives. P2 even doesn't look good. Utility wise, I would take Caly3.5 over P2 any time.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Man those Persians are just beautiful knives!
Ok, new fantasy grail. Large bolstered super blue Persian with polished gray G 10.

Side note question about the Persians...when were the blade markings changed? Some have the gold bug and some have a black and some have the schempp logo.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not know, when marking was changed.
Original Persians didn't have bug. Latest had a gold bug. There were no bolstered C83 with black bug. It came later. Originally c105 and kris had gold bug, which was changed later for black. The Persian with black bug, which you see on the picture is C105.