Why All the Love for the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd take the Cento3 over the Delica every single time...
On the hunt for...
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've owned a Delica of some sort ever since it was introduced. It fits my hand well. It's inexpensive so I'm not afraid to use it hard. It's done everything I ever asked of a knife. This history and familiarity has made me fond of the Delica to say the least.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For straight up value, the delica (and endura) are hard to beat. In my opinion, even the "value" series doesn't give as much bang for the buck.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The purple one is great for my wife and pretty much all their blade steels and sprints are great performers starting with the stock VG-10 and ZDP-189 and moving on to the recent wicked Super Blue variety, all for an approachable price. With their Endura, Stretch, Dfly, and Lady/Manbug mates, they really show what elegant tools can still be made in Japan, with strong cooperation and leadership from the Golden HQ.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I fell hard for the terrific value that is the Delica. It is a great design in an affordable package and available in a wide variety of colors, steels, and configurations. What's not to like? Eventually my taste became more refined and the features I really desired in a knife arose to the top like the cream! I like the thin profile of the FFG D4, the all fastener construction, and good steel (standard as well as upgraded). The luster faded and I fell head over heels for the Caly line. The 50/50 choil, deep carry wire clip, and superior F&F put it head and shoulders above the Delica for me. Most importantly, for twice the money, it is still better for my preferences.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Revival

Post by Revival »

I also love the blade shape of the Delica but it didnt feel right in my hand at all. I bought a Delica on two different occasions and traded one immedatley and returned the other one. I can see why people would love it though. Just not for me.
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

Although it is hard to say exactly why I am actually selling off all my knives except the Delica, Endura and Dragonfly....

I have several PM2, the Sages, the Bradleys but after a few years find I always pocket a DF Serrated Salt, carry a Delica in my bag every day and when I go out hunting carry a Delica and an Endura. They have never left me wanting more.

I love to look at and to handle the other knives but I am trying to own less so I am keeping the knives I really use.

Having said that I have created a few frankenknives....have a blue handled Superblue and an orange ZDP in both the Delica and the Endura...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:I fell hard for the terrific value that is the Delica. It is a great design in an affordable package and available in a wide variety of colors, steels, and configurations. What's not to like? Eventually my taste became more refined and the features I really desired in a knife arose to the top like the cream! I like the thin profile of the FFG D4, the all fastener construction, and good steel (standard as well as upgraded). The luster faded and I fell head over heels for the Caly line. The 50/50 choil, deep carry wire clip, and superior F&F put it head and shoulders above the Delica for me. Most importantly, for twice the money, it is still better for my preferences.
That's basically the same way it went for me. I sang the praises until my tastes evolved and it was the Caly 3 that ultimately killed the Delica for me. Back then I had a hard time coughing up the $65 for my first Delica so it felt insane to spend what I did for the Caly but the more you learn the more the price is justified (to a pointpoint).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. For me, it was blade shape and the way it felt in my hands. I never really felt like I could control the knife if I had to. I'd consider myself a budget-knife person moreso than desiring or understanding high-end knives (as far as price is concerned). I lived the thoughts of the Delica based on what you get vs. what you pay, but I could never get passed those two issues. The shape of the blade I knew about before purchasing the knife, but I thought I could live with it. It turns out, I could not. I had similar experience with the Manbug. I wanted to love that knife so much, but could not get past the looks of the blade. This is another reason I like the Spyderco brand. There are so many choices, one of which should fit almost anyone.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love it. It's not too big, not too small, it feels good in my hand, it carries good in my pocket, it cuts well, it's available in ZDP.

Once in the while not having my fore finger not go all the way up to the blade feels odd, but I can deal with that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Imo it's just a great bang for you buck. Very well known model and is iconic in the spyderco lineup
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:That's basically the same way it went for me. I sang the praises until my tastes evolved and it was the Caly 3 that ultimately killed the Delica for me. Back then I had a hard time coughing up the $65 for my first Delica so it felt insane to spend what I did for the Caly but the more you learn the more the price is justified (to a pointpoint).
Well said, I had a very similar experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Just an excellent, all-around, EDC knife that is perfect for the vast majority of mundane cutting chores most folks are likely to encounter.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like them, but like the Caly 3.5 as the evolution of the design. I love Enduras, but like the Delica. I sold my first one at a huge loss on purpose to a friend at work and he loves it. It is the CE foliage green, and it really is a lil bad *** of a knife. My buddy is our Regional Safety Manager so he travels extensively with it with no worries. He can't sharpen for squat though ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think it's easier to answer the question if we dial back to the D3. The D3 is dead-nuts reliable, has great ergos, weighs almost nothing, has a great blade for most purposes that don't involve prying and the other uses that the saber grind D4 blade addressed, is inexpensive, is non-threatening, and presents a highly effective cutting edge. The D3 is still part of my last ditch EDC and has been for almost 20 years now. I have so many "better" knives - but the D3 is one of two that are always on my person. The other is a SAK Pioneer.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great edc size, great steel for a great price, super light, many colors, nonthreatening and I love thumb ramps. Just a great value.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

For many people the Delica is the 'gateway' to Spyderco appreciation/addiction (delete to taste) ;)

It's the quintessential small pocketknife Spyderco for my money- Like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears:
It's not too big or too small, it's not too aggressive or too twee, it's not too 'tactical' or too 'girlie', it's not too light or too heavy but just right ;)

But in that regard, it doesn't 'shine' in any particular one aspect, which is why many people who buy them when they've 'cut their teeth' on other Spydies aren't wowed by the Delica.
There's no bells and whistles- VG10, FRN or Steel handles and a backlock aren't the stuff of white hot innovation these days, but I've a 12year old FRN Delica II that I have soundly battered to within an inch of it's life more than once- it still slices, cuts and locks up solid. What more could I ask for?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

And they come in a great variety of colors even... Just wish they would finally make a blue and a purple FRN Dragonfly, come on Sal, you already have the molds!!! Someone should do a Dragonfly exclusive in another color FRN or even better, a sprint of the G10 version. I'd like to see that sprint run also include a return of some G10 Delicas and Enduras too, I was hoping for grey G10 in this SB run, but oh well, grey FRN is cool too :) .
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

G-10 Delica!! YEAH!!

Blue D-fly would be cool!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

What kills it for me is that it doesn't have a 50/50 choil. Looking at it, it looks like one could easily be incorporated into the design which would make it much more useful IMO.

Actually, you know what? Just make a FRN Caly 3.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester