Super Blue sprint models, how are you liking them?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Super Blue sprint models, how are you liking them?

Post by dbcad »

My appreciation for SB steel has been steadily growing over the past few years since I've been using the SB Mule and struggling to increase sharpening competence. At one point I remember stating here that SB was not suitable for folders :eek: I love being proven wrong :D

A standard vg-10 Endura is a solid, unpretentious, useful knife. Make the blade from Aogami Super Blue steel, take the edge angle down a bit, and for me at least, the knife takes on a different character :) A purely subjective impression but delightful nonetheless :D The Endura looks the same, but feels more like a sports car in the way it cuts :D The words I type here have trouble expressing the appreciation I feel for the company that brings these uncommon materials to very user friendly models like the Endura :)

Thank You Sal and Spyderco for sharing this Aogami Super Blue and making it accessible :) Better pictures to follow.
Attachments
SB endura new1.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Uke

Post by Uke »

I've not got one of the latest FRN Super Blue sprints but I'm really liking my Caly 3 sprint a heck of a lot! :) It might be due to the Caly 3 design more than the steel, but this thing seems to never leave my side at the moment. I keep her at 30 inclusive and find that's plenty slicey for the Super Blue. I tend to have to strop the patina off the bevel quite frequently to keep the blade hair whittling, cleaned a tiny bit of corrosion out of the pivot a few months back, but other than that I've been using the Super Blue like any other steel. Still prefer M4 though ;)

Uke
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

I really like the edge they take/hold and find their ever-changing patina to be an aesthetic bonus.

Adam

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dbcad wrote:Thank You Sal and Spyderco for sharing this Aogami Super Blue and making it accessible :)
Well said.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

I love superblue! its my favourite steel behind M4. takes an amazing edge!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I also like super blue a whole lot - I have the Delica and the Caly 3. Between the 2 the Caly 3 still see the most use, because I like the design better than the Delica (feels more solid, deep carry, choil). The Delica cuts better because it's thinner, (2.5mm vs 3mm).
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Uke

Post by Uke »

trevitace wrote:I really like the edge they take/hold and find their ever-changing patina to be an aesthetic bonus.

Adam

Hmm, this pic makes me think I really need to try a Caly 3.5!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Uke wrote:Hmm, this pic makes me think I really need to try a Caly 3.5!
Ive owned 2 of the SB 3.5s and sold both of them because they both had a large amount of vertical blade play. I looked around online and found out that it was a problem for this run. So be careful and ask questions when looking to buy
-Spencer

Rotation:
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Holland wrote:Ive owned 2 of the SB 3.5s and sold both of them because they both had a large amount of vertical blade play. I looked around online and found out that it was a problem for this run. So be careful and ask questions when looking to buy
Was that also a problem with the Superblue Caly 3? I have been searching (in vain) for a SB 3.5 since I want a non-laminated superblue blade, but if I'm barking up a tree that has some QC issues on a hard to find knife, then I'll live with .5 less inches.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

The blade play on the two I have is there, but just barely discernible. I'd say it's no worse than the two other back-lock Spydercos I own, the Delica SB and Dragonfly 2 frn/vg-10.

Adam
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A lot of Caly fans :) I can see how the blade shape would complement this Super Blue steel :)

I just have the Mule with a recently truncated tip :eek: and now a new Endura which is still untarnished for now. Even though it's 3 mm thick, the Endura is now my traveling kitchen slicer :D

Can't get over the edge Super Blue can get and the ease of attaining a very sharp edge with this steel. Very well worth trade off of an easy tarnish :D

Thanks again to Spyderco for letting us play with this stuff :D
Attachments
e1.jpg
Charlie

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It's only been a week so I had to add.... ;)

Just a bit of vegetable prep then very,very thin slices from a marinated London broil.........The natururally induced patina is part of what makes this steel so appealing :D
Attachments
sb2.jpg
Charlie

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I love my Caly 3, which has no vertical play. It's a fantastic design even without the super blue steel, which is a huge bonus for its sharpening and cutting properties made huger by the fun of watching the patina come and sometimes go, if you cut abrasive stuff, like some types of pears, for example. I've thought of getting the 3.5, but I already have that in the carbon fiber ZDP-189 model which is super also :D They make a great pair :spyder:

After cutting acidic vegetables and fruits:

After peeling and cutting some local pears, which "sands" away some of the outer patina, smoothing out the surface (shown with my SB Endura):

I threw this shot in to show the core patina on the laminated Endura, shown with Caly below:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very nice photos Doug
-Spencer

Rotation:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Many of my lockbacks have vertical play. Luckily most mine are designated to medium or light use. If you don't feel the play much with low angles and light cutting.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Holland wrote:Very nice photos Doug
Thanks, Spencer :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am enjoying my delica so far. Cuts very well. I really enjoy knives that get very sharp very easily and that is my experience with this knife. I took the bevel down some. Not sure how far because I did it by hand but I have just been using it for light duty stuff like slicing apples and just a touch up at 30 degrees with UF stones and it keeps it scary sharp. I have some need for stainless knives but my EDC knife does not have to be. I like carbon steels and tool steels a lot.

Mine did show some patina developing in the stainless due to machining. At least that is my assumption from what I have read. It isn't very bad and it is very difficult to see. I had a hard time getting it to show in a photo. The angle has to be just right. It doesn't effect performance and I am going to use this knife anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

If I had more money I would be buying an endura while there are still some left. I'll probably pick up a SB stretch or dragonfly when they come out. Very satisfied!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wish I had a SB caly 3.5 too. Maybe someday I'll find a used one. Craigslist has been good to me lately!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ive had the stretch pre-ordered for months and can't wait to tryout that design :D and of course, the SB dfly is going to be an instant winner for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm believing one of Super Blue's nicest attributes is that it offers very easy "edge accessibility" :D A very. very sharp edge is achievable with this stuff without too much effort, and the blade keeps it well :D
Charlie